Pods?

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Default Pods?

Has anyone moved using "Pods?" If so, approximately how much furniture did you get in one (we are selling a LOT)? Was one enough?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Gold member

We got all personal belongings, one bedroom queen set, living room and all kitchen stuff. A Little Giant ladder, safe, power washer and some misc.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 PM

I used one pod, the smallest, but I was not taking home furniture. I brought, lamps, kitchen stuff, clothes, TV, patio set, just about everything but furniture. We had room to spare. To be honest, my furniture was older and well used so we bought all new down here. It is expensive to ship from NY. I hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Measure you stuff and compare to the space of the pod.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

We used a Pod from Marblehead MA to the Villages. For long distance we had to use a 16 ft Pod . We decided to buy all new furniture for our new designer home so our requirement was to send only special stuff, antiques, carpets, desks, clothing, mattresses, personal effects , etc . The great thing was the opportunity to load at our convenience from attic to basement. We would cruise the area for shipping boxes and pack as it was available and work stuff to our garage. When the Pod arrived, we had about a month to load. The last day we finished and had Pod picked up. All was delivered on time and undamaged.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth P View Post
Has anyone moved using "Pods?" If so, approximately how much furniture did you get in one (we are selling a LOT)? Was one enough?
We didn't use the "POD" brand name; we used "Sam's" because their containers were much sturdier. They are part of Mayflower, I recall. The number of PODS you use will depend upon how much "stuff" you are moving.

Whatever you pack, make sure you tightly pack from front to back and to the ceiling, and I mean tight. You will be amazed at how things can move in transit, particularly when they pick up and deliver because the PODS are tilted when the truck picks them up and drops them off. You might start by having one delivered and seeing how much you get into the one. Trying to measure is a good idea, as someone else suggested.

We packed our PODS but didn't pack in them what we would need the minute we got here, i.e., our bed, sheets, towels, some kitchen things, a table & chairs etc., because we arrived a week before the PODS were delivered. We then rented a truck to bring those things with us -- the items that we would need immediately.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Used PODS for our move in Jan 2013 and were very happy. Used PackRat to move my parents down in Oct 2013 and were fairly happy. Liked PODS better than PackRat.

However... not everyone services every place. PODS didn't cover the town in Virginia where my parents were. PackRat was the only one that did. As I recall, PackRat was significantly more expensive (and less flexible) than PODS - partly, I suspect, the difference between the franchisees in the two different areas.

You can hire folks to load the container. I strongly suggest that you do unless you (1) have loaded a moving container or UHaul before and understand how to pack it tightly and (2) can *safely* lift heavy boxes on your own.

Be aware that the delivery systems vary a little bit. With all, you need clearance all around on your driveway. Think thru exactly where you want the container - and have the doors face your garage or house. For PODS, you want a foot or so of driveway between the container and your lawn as the wheels on the delivery system are outside of the box footprint and will end up in your lawn if you aren't careful.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

We just done POD. There are two types of pods, the older ones with wooden two by fours structure (Guy up street was moving same time as me and we compared to two different PODS) and lots of tie down eyes and you can screw into wood if you need more.

We got newer one with steel supports with very few tie downs, two on each beam only on one side. Good thing I brought large spool of tie down strapping. We planned our move for about two years. Found Egg crate boxes about right for most of our stuff we packed and saved alot of appliance boxes that we brought new.

We also sold or got rid of majority stuff. I am still amazed I got rid of all my stuff. The egg crate boxes are rectangular and can be stacked and moved with dolly. during packing I tied down a lot. Looks like spider web by the time I got through. We see how it turned out when we finely find our home. PODS drop if off were you want, store it in area you plan on moving (for fee of course) and you just call when you want it dilevered.

Buying Boxes will really add up, so the earlier you find and plan the better. If I had to buy boxes to move I sure it would of been over thousand dollars and maybe two. We have moved several time over the years and saved boxes and packing material knowing we would eventually move again.

They say the never tip the pods, but it rained the before and the day of pick-up. The first thing he did was tilt it while it was up in the air to get all the water off the top. So, as said above you really need to tie things down good. I didn't hear anyting boucing around. I just hope I did good job? we see?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the comments and advice. Although we are getting rid of most of our furniture. we are also bringing some. We live only six hours away and aren't moving until February. We close on our house next week and I plan on making several/lots of trips back and forth; each trip with a full carload of boxes. Hopefully, one pod will do for the rest. Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Gold member

We used 1 8x16 pod.
Brought 2 sofas, 2 queen mattresses and box springs. Patio furniture, lots of boxes and had lots of room to spare.
They were very good to work with. Delivery on both ends was right on time.
The only kink we had was the lock!!
Hubby bought a lock. We used it and he left the key at home in Utah. He knew exactly where it was. Not helpful!!
We ended up going to Ace hardware in Leesburg. Great store!! I had taken a pix of the lock. Very heavy duty, not much "neck" to get wire cutters in. They sold hubby a grinder which took 30"+ to cut the lock off. GREAT LOCK!!
We got it off just in time for our appt with The Village Movers to unpack us.
I will never let him live that down.
His comment to me. "Honey, the key isn't long enough." Long silence, "it won't reach from Utah".
But the Pod. It was great!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.