Power Roof Venting. Necessary?

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Default Power Roof Venting. Necessary?

Coming from NJ. Purchasing new in Hillsborough section. While driving around the Villages during my last trip here I note that many homed have power vents installed in the roofs. Some had as many as four vents. Could someone inform me if they are worth installing. Do they really remove heat from the home? Are the worth the money?

Thank you in advance for answers to my question. Looking forward to living here. Closing on September 19.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefin View Post
Coming from NJ. Purchasing new in Hillsborough section. While driving around the Villages during my last trip here I note that many homed have power vents installed in the roofs. Some had as many as four vents. Could someone inform me if they are worth installing. Do they really remove heat from the home? Are the worth the money?

Thank you in advance for answers to my question. Looking forward to living here. Closing on September 19.
Our independent home inspector strongly recommended we install one. We did. It was cost effective and has lowered the attic temp.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

This question has been asked before, and is a contentious issue. People are passionate about this on both sides.

I have no personal gain here one way or another, but here is an interesting article on the subject. Note that most homes here in The Villages have met the manual J specs on ventilation with the ridge, below ridge and soffit vents. Many factors must be considered here, such as amount of existing ventilation, color of roof, etc.

Don't Let Your Attic Suck | The ASHI Reporter | Inspection News & Views from the American Society of Home Inspectors

Hope this helps,

Frank
Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

I installed a fan in the garage to suck air from the garage and force it into the attic. This provides a two fold advantage, first it cools the garage, and second it forces to hot air out of the attic. To back this work you absolutely need adequate supply air to the garage. I did this by replacing the windows in the garage doors with screened vents. I think it works really well. As stated above you will find lots of comments. BTW the fan installation was around $100, the vents in the garage doors, about $120, and the approximate CFM of air being moved about 1000. Also, I use a thermostat to control the fan, only comes on when needed.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

What you may be seeing are passive vents. For example, my house has 3 round vents on the roof but there isn't a fan in them.

Power ventilators have been researched by some of the energy labs. The bottom line is they may actually increase your electric bill by sucking air-conditioned air into the attic. Also, the physics of heat transfer in the attic is not what you might think. Heat is transferred by convection, conduction, and radiation. It turns out that radiative transfer from the hot roof sheathing is the primary mechanism for heat transfer in your attic. Unless you address that, nothing else will make much of a difference. Spray foam insulation on the underside of the roof sheathing is effective. A radiant barrier is another option. I have had power ventilators in a previous home (before I researched how ineffective they are) - they didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefin View Post

Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

While driving around you probably noticed many have screens on the garage, some are motorized and some are horizontal sliders. If you're like us, and want to keep your garage door open, I highly recommend putting on the screen door. I've had one neighbor find a rattlesnake in his garage under his car, and we've had gators leave the executive course and take a stroll through the neighborhood. Plus if your laundry is inside the garage like ours, it gives the heat a way to escape.

After you have the screen installed, you'll probably also have attic steps installed inside your garage, a lot of free storage space up there. Crack the attic step opening about a foot. Standing directly below the steps you should feel a nice breeze coming into the garage up toward the steps. My electric bills on our CYV were running in the $105 range and since we started doing this, our bills have been in the $80's and $90's all summer long.

If you do a search on this site, you'll see this has all been discussed many times before and some have said the garage/home firewall will be breached if you keep the attic access open. I guess everything has a trade off, with a masonry CYV I'll willing to take the risk. Anyway, times when we're asleep the garage door is going to be closed anyway, and we have 3 smoke detectors inside our home.

This is our setup, and as you can see we went with the horizontal sliders on our 12' door. It's also half the price of the motorized units. However, mainly I went with this style was because I'm often outside in the yard, or washing the car, talking with neighbors, I found the sliders are great because you open just one little 3' section and slide it back behind when you exit. Those with the motorized one piece screens will open the screen and then not lower it back until they've gone back inside. So while they're outside the garage is unprotected.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

We are kind of going a bit off the original topic, as the original topic was Attic ventilation.
Venting the garage is a bit different, but of course another interesting subject.

Options include just opening the garage window a bit and cracking open the attic stairway to garage fans to screen doors.

There are basically four types of garage screen doors. There are pros and cons with all three.
A) Sliding screen doors, like John posted about.
B) Motorized Roll ups
C) Non-motorized one piece retractable screen doors
D) Motorized three panel retractable screen doors, using a piggybacked top rail system

Frank
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Sage

One question I have asked before and never got an answer: Does a radiant barrier on the underside of the rafters have any effect on the life and/or warranty of the asphalt shingles.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My question is....By cracking open the garage attic steps, does this create any type of potential fire hazard.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
My question is....By cracking open the garage attic steps, does this create any type of potential fire hazard.
Yes Yes Yes!!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

We have a CYV and decided to install a solar attic fan to vent the hot air. I believe that it helps cool the house some and make the Air Conditioning bills a little lower.

One thing I did to my garage was to install Styrofoam panels on my garage doors. We have west facing garage doors and the sun blasts them all afternoon which heated up the garage. With the washer/dryer in there, it was uncomfortable to wash clothes or putter around in the garage. The panels noticeably reduced the heat in there. Bought the panels from Lowe's and it was an easy 2-3 hour DIY project. It also reduced the noise when the doors open and close.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Yes, but whoever installed the stair unit probably did not use fire rated material anyway. Most don't. The garage ceiling is a fire rated assembly.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
This question has been asked before, and is a contentious issue. People are passionate about this on both sides.

I have no personal gain here one way or another, but here is an interesting article on the subject. Note that most homes here in The Villages have met the manual J specs on ventilation with the ridge, below ridge and soffit vents. Many factors must be considered here, such as amount of existing ventilation, color of roof, etc.

Don't Let Your Attic Suck | The ASHI Reporter | Inspection News & Views from the American Society of Home Inspectors

Hope this helps,

Frank
This is great information for anyone looking to install a power attic fan. These homes are engineered for Florida weather and temps. What ever you decide to do , research it, things don't have to be done ASAP .

Last edited by tommy steam; 08-31-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You should be able to find out who made your shingles. Call them and ask. A radiant barrier will probably raise the roof temperature. It is not clear what impact this will have on shingle life. You can try googling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
One question I have asked before and never got an answer: Does a radiant barrier on the underside of the rafters have any effect on the life and/or warranty of the asphalt shingles.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Regarding the styrofoam panels for your garage door, did you get the 2" thick 4'x8' pieces or the 3/4" thick 4'x8' pieces? Any words of advice on installing them? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
We have a CYV and decided to install a solar attic fan to vent the hot air. I believe that it helps cool the house some and make the Air Conditioning bills a little lower.

One thing I did to my garage was to install Styrofoam panels on my garage doors. We have west facing garage doors and the sun blasts them all afternoon which heated up the garage. With the washer/dryer in there, it was uncomfortable to wash clothes or putter around in the garage. The panels noticeably reduced the heat in there. Bought the panels from Lowe's and it was an easy 2-3 hour DIY project. It also reduced the noise when the doors open and close.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.