Pros and cons of garage vents

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Sage

A garage fan wil & I mean will help a fire spread in your house, you now have an open path for fire to spread from your garage to your attic. How many who have installed attic stairs had fire-proofing installed on the attic stair surface?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
A garage fan wil & I mean will help a fire spread in your house, you now have an open path for fire to spread from your garage to your attic. How many who have installed attic stairs had fire-proofing installed on the attic stair surface?

Easy to solve using a relay wired in parallel with the hard wired smoke detectors. Detectors go off, exhaust fan shuts down. Easy to wire and foolproof. Using red sheathed cable will alert others so it won't be bypassed. [emoji106]🏻
Old 05-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
Attic fans have fire damper's. No risk there. I don't have fire proofing on my attic stairs and have never seen it in any of my customers stairs and I've probably been in 300-400 attics.

These dampers close when excessive heat is detected, smoke is a better precursor to shut down the fan.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage

The sheetrock that was removed to install an attic stair has a fire rating, by removing that rock the fire rating of the attic ceiling is compromised--there are fire rated attic staire,look them up
Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM

I would like to see this fan in the garage myself would appreciate if someone could send me address please
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Sage

The pennies saved in a/c cost are not worth the risk to life & property
Old 05-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Solar Guys, Will you confirm please if you need to vent your garage when you are charging an electric cart. Thanks.
I have two electric carts, the par car requires one seat be raised when charging because the charger is on board and needs circulation. The other cart has an external charger and therefore doesn't require the seats to be raised. Neither manufacturer has recommended anything close to venting a garage for charging. One cart is a 2014 and the other a 2015 and can't comment on older carts.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Did you put the indoor/outdoor thermometer sensor in the attic?

Does the fan run most of the daytime starting as soon as it gets hot?

Do you notice a decrease in your indoor AC usage and drop in monthly electric bill?

Yes, I have a wired indoor/outdoor thermometer, and that is what I see the 20 plus degree drop when the fan kicks on.

The fan will typically start in later morning/early afternoon depending on sunlight, and will run 1-2 hours after sunset.

I have not tracked the AC use, sorry, but I think it is less.

VT
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger33 View Post
I would like to see this fan in the garage myself would appreciate if someone could send me address please
I could send you a PM to stop by and see my installation....This was blocked.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
Recommendations requested on garage vents. Good idea or not.

Thanks in advance.
Check temp in garage with door closed. Next day recheck with door open an inch or two. Compare to what the outside temp was. Probably be within 10 degrees.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

We have a CYV with west facing garage doors. The sun was pounding heat into the garage in the afternoon and we wanted to do something to bring the temps down. Thought about a garage fan but didn't like the vents in the garage doors, looks wise and safety wise incase of fire.

What we did was to insulate the garage doors with Styrofoam panels. This is an easy DIY project. We bought 4x8 foot panels from Lowes 3/4" thick, a razor knife, straight edge and magic marker.

Take the reinforcement stripes off the doors, measure and cut the Styrofoam to fit and that is all you need to do. Take your time, measure twice, cut once, and you can finish the project in 3 hours. Fit the cut panels into the doors, reinstall the reinforcement stripes. Total cost was around $100.00.

The Styrofoam made a noticeable difference in the temps in the garage and in addition, quieted the opening/closing of the doors somewhat.

I know the original poster inquired about garage vents, but here is a different direction to consider to lessen the heat build up in the garage.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.