Question About Emergency Room Care

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Default Question About Emergency Room Care

Since Feb 9, I have had three of four folks tell me about visits to the Villages Emergency Room for treatment. Two of them related a waiting time of 12 hours to be seen and treated! The others spoke of 8 hrs. I haven't had the need to use them, but I thought TV had great medical facilities and great medical plans.

These seem like extremely long wait times. Anyone had the need to use the emergency room that could comment?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
Since Feb 9, I have had three of four folks tell me about visits to the Villages Emergency Room for treatment. Two of them related a waiting time of 12 hours to be seen and treated! The others spoke of 8 hrs. I haven't had the need to use them, but I thought TV had great medical facilities and great medical plans.

These seem like extremely long wait times. Anyone had the need to use the emergency room that could comment?
Do a search on TOTV for other threads on this topic.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:

It depends on how the emergency room was being used. If it was a true emergency no one would be waiting 8 to 12 hours. If it was something that could've been handled at a urgent care you are going to be farther down the list then the true emergency.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

One of the Urgent Care facilities is a much better option for you unless you absolutely need the ER. Quicker, cheaper and very professional.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Gold member

We were unfortunate enough to have to use it twice in Feb and wait was not bad at all.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Eternal Member

I have been lucky & have had a few good experiences as a walk in. However if you go by ambulance and it is an emergency, it's fairly quick.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Gold member

In our experience after assessment is done, treatment and some testing begins. Wait for a room in Emergency Dept. can take awhile. In wife's last stay she was in room in ED for more than 24 hours before a bed was available on 4th floor. IMO, the long waits start with the bottleneck waiting for admission and room availability before leaving the ED.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do a search on Google or Bing about ER waiting time. You will see that it is not just here. However, this week is probably one of the highest population weeks in our year here in The Villages.

We apparently have some folks who are accident prone and also neglected some health problem last week, being away from home and all. Not making excuses but..............

It AIN'T just here that ER's have difficulties.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Veteran member

I can only speak about personal experiences, but I have twice had to take my elderly mother to The Villages ER and I was not impressed. I tell people to plan on a minimum of 4-5 hours if you take yourself to the ER. I found their communication to be very poor, especially with elderly patients that may not have much experience dealing with emergency rooms.

After signing in, you wait and you wait and you wait, with no information or follow up provided. Then you are seen by a triage person and frankly, if I had not been along to poke and prod, my mother would have be returned to the waiting area with very little information as to what was happening or what was going to happen.

Then significantly more waiting before being taken back to an examination area, where, you guessed it, even more waiting. Again, you're placed in a waiting area and no one checks in or bothers to keep you updated on what is going on.

After the 4 hour mark, I finally had to track someone one to try and get some food and water for my mother. Again, nothing pro-active from the staff. Had she been by herself, she probably would have fainted from a lack of food and dehydration.

I was also astonished at how no one really introduced themselves, explained who they were or what their function was. Name tags seemed to be conveniently absent.

In the future, I will do all that I can to avoid having to step through the doors of this ER.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 AM

I have taken family to the Urgent Care at TVRH at least six different times and each time were refused treatment and sent to wait in the ER for treatment or evaluations they could have provided IMO. Various reasons were provided- we are closing in an hour, etc.
Our family has used Urgent Care 411 several times and were provided excellent care. Wish they were open 24 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:

I went to the Villages Hospital after experiencing severe discomfort. I intended to go to the Urgent Care facility but it had just closed at 8:00 PM. I went there once before and received prompt and great care. Since it was closed, I went to the ER next door. Big mistake. I was there from about 8:15 PM until almost 10:00 AM the next MORNING. They told me they had a traffic crash and some other cases more serious than mine. Turned out I had nothing more serious than a reaction to the anesthesia from a back operation the previous week. I understand the necessity of more serious cases first, but 14 hours?. Unless I am having an obvious heart attack or something obviously very serious, I will just wait until the Urgent Care facility opens.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do a search on Google or Bing about ER waiting time. You will see that it is not just here. However, this week is probably one of the highest population weeks in our year here in The Villages.

We apparently have some folks who are accident prone and also neglected some health problem last week, being away from home and all. Not making excuses but..............

It AIN'T just here that ER's have difficulties.
I have used that URL before. Once it said 5 min and we waited 4 hours. This time (I am currently in the hospital) the site said 0 min. It took 6 hours and I went to a hospital room 17 hours later. I will say everyone was doing their job (well, maybe except for one who does registration) my care has be excellent. Yes, it happens all over but things do get overcrowded this time of year.
The TVRH app only gives time to triage and then you wait.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:51 PM

Don't get sick / injured in winter. ER is not equipped to handle the increased population.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Sage

A few weeks ago (during the day) we went to TVH Urgent Care and they took me over to the ER waiting room. We didn't sit too long before I was called to see the nurse and shortly after was taken back to a room in the ER. I was triaged and tests were taken. The visit, start to finish was 4 hours. When we left the waiting room was full. We've both utilized the ER a few times...each was different. The care while there was good and we were satisfied. Waiting...it happens. No hospital is exempt!! IF you're having what you feel is "life-threatening" do call 911.
Closed Thread

Tags
emergency, room, great, medical, hrs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.