Question on surge protectors

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2015, 07:54 AM

there are a number of other alternatives, as just about any qualified electrician could install these. For example I am having Pike Electric install one at $300. This may be higher than some other electricians but my understanding of their reputation is that they are probably the best around. Good Luck
Old 07-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Gold member

I have the SECO whole home surge protection that I rent. T&D says lightning or surge has fried my pool pump motherboard 3 times in a year.
Sounds fishy.
Would it wise or foolish to add surge protectors to both junction boxes in the garage?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
We do not like the term "WHOLE HOUSE" surge protection because it gives the impression that a SECO or Duke surge protector on your electric meter or on your electric panel by an electrician is all you need. This is not correct! Surges can enter your home not only through your electric service but also via telephone and cable/satellite systems. If the lightning strike is near and strong enough it can even be induced into the wiring of your home. Therefore, you need Secondary Surge Protection sometimes called point-of-use (plug ins, power strips) for all of your costly appliances and electronic equipment. Today's electronics have computer chips that are very sensitive to even a relatively minor surge.

These devices can be purchased at hardware, electronic stores, and big box stores. SECO offers them at their Sumterville office or you can purchase them on their web site.

Keep in mind that surge protection is only for INDIRECT lightning strikes. If your concern is a DIRECT lightning strike to your home then you need to consider a lightning protection system commonly called lightning rods by a qualified installer.
ok my two cents.
just to give you my qualification i have a background in electrical engineering and a master electrical licenses.
The facts;
Lighting is unpredictable no matter what you are being told and putting lighting rods on your home to send the lighting strike to the ground is a joke, the chances of it being effective is like winning the lottery.
I don't want to attract lighting to my home and there is no scientific facts supporting the lighting rods minimize lighting strikes.
A little food for thought, a million dollar home got hit last year off pennalias and it did not have lighting protection rods, however the house next door and across the street did, HMMMMMMMM !!!
the best money spent is apc battery back up with surge protection which they all have, (Sams, internet where ever the cheaper price is).
The battery backup puts a buffer between the equipment and power, (cable and phone depending on what you buy) also surge individual units work well as well.
They all have one key component and that is MOV ( Metal Oxide Varistor) which is what suppresses the strike.
MOV come in all types and speed and robustly built ratings. The more you spend the better they are built.
The basic ones will give you reasonable protection.
Folks now that your head is spinning with all the tech. stuff people are telling you, it boils down to this!!!!!!!!!
The balance of what you spend is your piece of mind, it all depends on what you are trying to protect, for example 10 millions dollars of cell tower equipment requires a million dollars of protection to be effective for a rule of thumb.
But here is the caveat, if you have a direct hit nothing will protect you only minimize the damage, Lighting strikes at milliseconds and millions of if not billions of volts.
A direct lighting strike could be couple hundred feet away depending on the intensity of the strike.
Depending on what you are trying to protect is what you are spending on your protection, check you home owners insurance for what you are covered for and make a reasonable assessment.
I have a two pole breaker with surge suppression at my panel (cost around 50.00) also on each one of my computers,routers, refrigerator and TV i have an APC battery back up.
my investment was around 300.00 and i got piece of mind. You can do it for less if you use basic surge surpression plug in's
Some leave it to the power company's or electrical company's and then find out the 50k of insurance doesn't cover squat and the company is never going to admit that there system didn't work, you could never prove otherwise.
MY TWO CENTS
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Default I went with the Meter Surge suppressor from Seco, here's why over the panel ones

I've attached the specs for the Meter mounted surge suppressor from Seco and one from Eaton that plugs into 2 empty locations on your fuse panel. Seco gets their meter mounted versions from M-Ti and uses the 575 series. You can go to their website and see the products. The 575 specs and warranty are attached below. Anyhow, the Meter mounted version has larger MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors) that can absorb more energy. It can absorb 10,000 amps of surge and still operate. It will absorb as high as 120,000 amps or 60,000 amps of max surge before it would stop working. It has a 15 year replacement warranty along an appliance warranty as noted. "The warranty covers consequential damages to standard residential equipment, as defined herein, as a result of a transient voltage or surge voltage as defined by IEEE C62 Standards. Standard residential equipment is defined as ‘white appliances’ such as HVAC, clothes washers and dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, electric ranges and other major home appliances."

Now the panel mounted surge suppressors are ok. In fact, that is what I have on my house up north. Since there is so much more lightening here than up north, I opted to go with the meter mounted one. The Seco version is a type 1 (which is better than) than panel mounted versions which are typically type 2. Panel mounted ones can be obtained for less than $80 and you can install them yourself if capable. And of course, always use additional plug in surge suppressors for your irrigation system controller, garage door opener, refrigerator, microwave, tv, etc.. Seco gives you a box of suppressors if you buy it from them.

Best wishes on whatever path you take. BUT most of all, do get something installed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 575Series_Type 1 Surge_SpecSheet_0511.pdf (188.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: pdf Eaton BR Surge Breaker.pdf (398.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: pdf 575 Series_Warranty_Extended.pdf (93.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

The surge protection SECO offers is installed at the meter (directly behind it). It can only be installed by SECO, and is not sold to private parties, or electric contractors. The surge protection offered by electrical contractors is installed (basic term) inside the circuit panel in your garage. Although these can be installed by homeowners, unless you are completely confident in working around high voltage/amps, you should leave it to a professional. You will hear many opinions on which unit is better. We went with the SECO unit, as it protects everything downstream, and chose to purchase it outright. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Sage

$72.00/yr for a surge protector is a ripoff. A combat buddy of mine got into finical trouble & we bought him & his wife a patio villa in Buttonwood/furnished-I installed the plugin whole house protector--when he spoke to SECO, the SECO rep said it gave the same protection.

They sold the house and have moved back north.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Sage

When I bought my new house 2 years ago my builder said that all the other add ons were discretionary. He said buy the SECO protection. Since everything else looked great oin and around the house, and he didn't BS me on anything else, I trusted his judgement.

With so many decisions to make, for me it was easier and not that expensive to buy it.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerFrog58 View Post
I've attached the specs for the Meter mounted surge suppressor from Seco and one from Eaton that plugs into 2 empty locations on your fuse panel. Seco gets their meter mounted versions from M-Ti and uses the 575 series. You can go to their website and see the products. The 575 specs and warranty are attached below. Anyhow, the Meter mounted version has larger MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors) that can absorb more energy. It can absorb 10,000 amps of surge and still operate. It will absorb as high as 120,000 amps or 60,000 amps of max surge before it would stop working. It has a 15 year replacement warranty along an appliance warranty as noted. "The warranty covers consequential damages to standard residential equipment, as defined herein, as a result of a transient voltage or surge voltage as defined by IEEE C62 Standards. Standard residential equipment is defined as ‘white appliances’ such as HVAC, clothes washers and dryers, refrigerators, dishwashers, electric ranges and other major home appliances."

Now the panel mounted surge suppressors are ok. In fact, that is what I have on my house up north. Since there is so much more lightening here than up north, I opted to go with the meter mounted one. The Seco version is a type 1 (which is better than) than panel mounted versions which are typically type 2. Panel mounted ones can be obtained for less than $80 and you can install them yourself if capable. And of course, always use additional plug in surge suppressors for your irrigation system controller, garage door opener, refrigerator, microwave, tv, etc.. Seco gives you a box of suppressors if you buy it from them.

Best wishes on whatever path you take. BUT most of all, do get something installed.
Good info, again as i said, everyone has there level of comfortability.
Thanks for the info, the seco option is not for me and i believe i am protected better.
Remember there are different type of panel surge protection.
good luck folks
Closed Thread

Tags
warranty, dollars, question, surge, home, appliances, large, money, levels, limited, bleeding, decisions, lenhart, chaff, sort, wheat, overwhelmed, confusing, called, seco, today, florida, protectors, electric, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.