R most homes in TV wheelchair accessible?

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Default R most homes in TV wheelchair accessible?

We live in an Austin Model (I think) and we are going to have to buy a new home because my husband will be getting a wheelchair in the VERY near future. We tried a chair in our home today and it doesn't fit through any doors or into the bathroom.
I of course didn't think about these issues when we bought 3 years ago but, here we are.
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Sleepless in TV,
Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 AM

We live in a courtyard villa and my husband's wheelchair just makes it through the doorways. This is a retirement community. Many older people. You would think this would have been addressed before homes were built? Duh.....
Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sadly, unless you can find a pre-owned that was converted, the answer is no. However, there are smaller type chairs that can be used in homes and some "mobility chairs" (like walkers with seats but sturdier) that are doable.

I'm sorry to hear you are having to worry about moving with the other issues. Gentle hugs.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

We have a court yard villa and it's possible to get a wheelchair through the living area, but sadly not either bathroom. I'm not in construction, but it seems it could be adapted if the doorways were opened a few inches. Is this a possibility in your home? If the moulding was removed, the opening enlarged, moulding replaced, and a custom door made, you might be able to stay in your home. Our son has strange size opening with the doors he is currently replacing. His contractor is making custom doors at a fairly reasonable price.

Staying in your home may be possible by talking to a contractor. I hope this all works out for you during this bump in the road of life.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sadly, unless you can find a pre-owned that was converted, the answer is no. However, there are smaller type chairs that can be used in homes and some "mobility chairs" (like walkers with seats but sturdier) that are doable.

I'm sorry to hear you are having to worry about moving with the other issues. Gentle hugs.
I do use just a transit chair in the house here and it just clears the bed/bath entries. Our primary residence has much larger doorways which make life a lot easier!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Sage

I am in a designer (Bougainvillea) which someone pointed out to me had door openings wide enough for a wheel chair. She also mentioned the flow of the floor plan was very
wheel chair friendly. So I guess it depends on the model.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:44 AM
Gold member

Another thing to think about is getting into the shower. In some models it would be impossible to help someone into the shower. I had a Roman Shower put in our home so that I could wheel my mother into the shower if necessary. My dad was in a wheelchair before he passed away and accessibility was a big issue when we were building our house.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Our doors fit. We have had THREE very much enjoyed visitors in Wheelchairs. Check around if that is a question when looking for a home here. Plus widening doors is very doable with so many savvy contractors here in TV.
(and not overwhelmingly expensive)
I am sorry you are facing this problem just as Redwitch says.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg View Post
We live in an Austin Model (I think) and we are going to have to buy a new home because my husband will be getting a wheelchair in the VERY near future. We tried a chair in our home today and it doesn't fit through any doors or into the bathroom.
I of course didn't think about these issues when we bought 3 years ago but, here we are.
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Sleepless in TV,
Thanks
actually most homes in The villages are NOT wheelchair accessible. We built a Holly model because our son is in a wheelchair. All the doors are wide and the Roman shower is a roll-in that is built extra wide to accommodate a shower chair. Also there is a level entry from the garage to the house. We had the lanai built up so that when (if) we enclose it or put tile on the floor, it will be level. The master bedroom has double doors. and there is a lot of space around the island to allow a wheelchair to navigate around it.

I will say that if you buy a preowned home, doors can be widened, and a regular bathtub can be removed and a roll in shower installed. Sometimes it's less expensive to remodel than build from scratch.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 PM

Thank you TOTV friends for your input. Saved me tons of time looking around one house at a time for a new home.
I admit that I am stunned that a retirement community does not have barrier free homes. None of us plans on wheelchair living but, (....and we are in our 60's).... here it is.
I will be looking if anyone hears of an available home for us. I would rent out our home here and rent or buy a barrier free home. We want to stay here.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

3 current new home models have 36" doors thruout the homes, and large walk-in master shower. - Boxwood, Bridgeport, and Holly. We have a Holly - moved to Gilchrist in Feb. Comforted knowing that if/when time comes the house is wheelchair friendly. Check with TV Sales to be sure, and if other models are... They WILL know,
Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

We have the Lantana- had a wheelchair with my Step-Dad before he passed away--wheelchair worked through all doors and we had the Roman Shower. No problem with the open floor plan--lots of room in the kitchen as well.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg View Post
I admit that I am stunned that a retirement community does not have barrier free homes. None of us plans on wheelchair living but, (....and we are in our 60's).... here it is.

Yes, it was a little off-putting for us too. We assumed most homes would be either barrier free or of universal design. Maybe not the ones built 20 years ago, but at least the ones built within the last 10 years and the new ones. but they are not.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
3 current new home models have 36" doors thruout the homes, and large walk-in master shower. - Boxwood, Bridgeport, and Holly. We have a Holly - moved to Gilchrist in Feb. Comforted knowing that if/when time comes the house is wheelchair friendly. Check with TV Sales to be sure, and if other models are... They WILL know,
Yes, we love our Holly! Thanks for the info, I din't know about the Boxwood or Bridgeport models...that is WONDERFUL!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default perhaps a Whispering Pine?

I think I asked our Realtor this very question and I believe he said that the Whispering Pine is Wheelchair accessible.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.