Raising Lanai Floor

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 AM
Question Raising Lanai Floor

When I purchased my house the lanai was already enclosed and had/has separate A/C -heating.

There is a step down from the main house to the lanai floor. I want a new raised floor installed making the floors level.

Neighbors say I will be taxed more.

Any feedback please?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:23 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

If it has already been permitted as habitable space then the taxes would have already been assessed. It's not raising the floor necessarily, it's when you go from lanai to habitable space.
Check with Sumter County to see if there were permits pulled. You can even go to their site and do your own search under online services, just use your address.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

A call to the Sumter county building dept or stop by the office (Pinellas Plaza) will get you the exact answer. I agree with above about the permits, however, there were changes made to the building codes 1-2 years ago, and this whole discussion about raising floors and enclosing lanais became very confusing. What is correct and works for one house may not be correct for another house, due to the construction of the house.

Also, you may create a possible water problem when you raise the floor, depending on the type of construction of the enclosure. Once again, the building department will be able to answer all of your questions.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage

It is the removal of the sliders between the inside and the lanai that will trigger a tax increase, as per the county inspector who did a final inspection on my lanai work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcook715 View Post
When I purchased my house the lanai was already enclosed and had/has separate A/C -heating.

There is a step down from the main house to the lanai floor. I want a new raised floor installed making the floors level.

Neighbors say I will be taxed more.

Any feedback please?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Sage

let's be honest here, after the final inspection you can do what you wish.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Sage

You missed the point. He essentially asked what triggered a tax increase and I told him. Of course, you can do whatever you want after the final inspection. Sort of obvious; unless an inspector sees it there is no tax increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
let's be honest here, after the final inspection you can do what you wish.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Even if the taxes are raised it will be minimal. We put a 350 square foot addition on our home and our assessment only increased $1000.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 AM

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

AS previously stated any tax increase would be minimal. I personally would not give up something I want or moreso, personal comfort and safety (ie minimize falls), simply to save a couple of dollars in taxes each year.

However if the room is already enclosed, increasing the floor height could add other problems..ie how are you going to handle the door leading to the outside. Im sure this could be taken care of but my point is it may be more involved than just raising the floor.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
AS previously stated any tax increase would be minimal. I personally would not give up something I want or moreso, personal comfort and safety (ie minimize falls), simply to save a couple of dollars in taxes each year.

However if the room is already enclosed, increasing the floor height could add other problems..ie how are you going to handle the door leading to the outside. Im sure this could be taken care of but my point is it may be more involved than just raising the floor.
And the height of the outlets from the floor. When you go to sell the house it will be inspected and will need to comply with codes. They will require it be brought into compliance before you can sell it. As stated earlier, get someone that can tell you what else needs to be done, preferebly from the County.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
floor, lanai, house, making, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.