swimming pools

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Default swimming pools

We are thinking of moving to TV and think we want a pool. I don't see many homes with pools. What are the pros and cons of individual pools?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: swimming pools

Why pay to take care of two pools,yours and the one that is just around every corner,unless you really have to have one.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:56 PM

I don't live in the Villages yet (we have to sell this house first), but have had a pool for 24 years in Florida. I can swim in mine without a heater from late April to October and do about every day. I can jump in it without going anywhere 24/7, but I also have an 8 foot privacy fence around mine. We are not going to put one in when we buy in the Villages because it is not as private. The Village pools are heated so you can use them year round. It is colder in the Lake Sumter area than where I live. It would be an additional expense to heat one and really with no privacy there since you can't fence. I also think you would meet more people at the community pool. I will go first thing in the morning if I want to swim laps or to the water aerobics class. I use mine for exercise. My husband jumps in after mowing grass which he won't be doing in TV, so I don't think we would get nearly the use out of it up there. You also have to keep chemicals in the garage and that space is limited there.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh contrare mariboo
In the villages south of 466 many , many of the new homes around the golf courses have pools and are just waiting for new buyers....I can't think of anything more pleasant than sitting in your pool and watching the golfers in action.....I personally don't have a pool but I do live on a golf course and so I sit on my lanai and watch the golfers with my feet in a bucket of water , but trust me , its just not the same......good luck
Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum member

We moved to Tampa in 1983 and to The Villages Feb this year. Our home in Tampa had a beautiful pool, caged in and really nice.

Now that we are in The Villages, you couldn't pay me enough to have my own pool.
My husband took care of our pool in Tampa, which he didn't mind the first 6 months, but then it really got to be a pain. It is a lot of work and chemicals are expensive. Finally, the last couple of years, we got a pool guy. That too was expensive. A few years ago we had to have our pool marcited--another $5000.

Also, we really enjoy going to our neighborhood pool and meeting people. We have made so many friends this way. Enjoy it so much. We walk away and say, "Look at the beautiful pool. We don't have to clean it--just enjoy it,"

I would never again buy a house with a pool, but I would look for a community pool.

Tampa, FL
Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

AVISTA: I agree with you 100% . When we were shopping I wanted a pool for sure.
While we were looking we used the local pools every day. I don't believe there is a better way to make friends and find out where all the good food and restaurants are. I can't think of a better place to socialize.
OK maybe TOTV comes close :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Founder

We would not own a home without a pool. We have one and love it. Getting it built was another issue. We hired United Pool of Leesburg. Weeks would go buy and nobody would show up to do any work. It was the worst construction nighmare I can remember. Now that it's finished, we have a beautiful pool, but it was not pleasant getting it built.

I'll bet now that the housing construction has slowed way down, we could have one built in a week rather than nearly 4 months.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 PM

Avista,
What does it mean when you have to have your pool marcited? And does anyone know a ballpark range for building a pool with the enclosure?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Platinum member

Marcite: We had to drain the pool and coat it with Marcite. Then refill it once again. It's an expensive deal, but doesn't have to be done too often. As far as cost of a new pool today, I really have no idea.

My suggestion would be to see how you like your neighborhood pool, before investing in your own. If you feel you are not enjoying your neighborhood pool, then go for it. We have met so many people at our pool. Let's face it, you are playing for it use it or not.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

POOLS ARE RANGEING ANYWHERE FROM 20,000 TO 45,000 AND SAW A GORGEOUS ONE IN CHATHAM JUST BEING FINISHED THATS GOING FOR 75,000........
THE NEW THING IN POOLS NOW IS A SALT WATER POOL ....NO CHEMICALS.....VERY LITTLE SALT, YOU CAN HARDLY TASTE IT IN THE WATER , BROTHER-IN-LAW HAS IT NOW AND LOVES IT AND SAID ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO .....ONCE A WEEK HE CHECKS THE SALT LEVEL AND THATS IT...........GOOD LUCK
Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Sage

Fumar,

I think you might be referring to a salt chlorination system for swimming pools. It basically removes the chlorine from the Sodium Chloride (salt) and uses that to chlorinate the pool. A good link is http://www.clearwater-usa.com/

I know someone who has one and they love it. Just check the salt every week or so.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes Russ
Thats it, and it suppose to be the latest thing , Also you never have to worry about algae growth.....stays nice and clean with little or no Maint.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Eternal Member

No pool for me - put me in the category of someone who wants a short walk or cart ride to a pool that is heated, and I don't have to pay (directly) for chemicals or heat! I've been doing that for 24 years and I'm done.
I can understand the desire (need) to have one, and I sure like looking at them, but not for me anymore.
A hot tub, that's a different story - Im planning to get one and use it everyday!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Gold member

We had a salt water pool when we lived in Orlando in the early 80's. At the time this technology was staring to be noticed as an alternative to all that chlorine. Did not have a heater, so we only used the pool for about 6 months out of the year. With a house full of kids and their friends it was wonderful addition to our home. Comparing it what we see in many Villages screen enclosures it was a very large pool. 8 ft depth enabled us to have a diving board and a slide. Many of the pools I see now are quite a bit smaller and cost a great deal more. We also learned that a pool did not help when it came time to sell the house. Many prospective buyers just dont't want the bother

Personally, I am done being the pool maintenance guy. I would much rather use the community pools and have the opportunity to socialize with neigbors. When Grandkids visit they enjoy the family pools here in TV.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

After 20 years of home pool maintenance in Connecticut, using TV pools is wonderful and the cost of pool membership @ the country clubs is a lot less expensive than the cost of home pool upkeep. :#1: Love TV.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.