RANCH VS DESIGNER HOMES and Floor Plans

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Default Re: RANCH VS DESIGNER HOMES and Floor Plans

In response to the Designer's being named Designers because you could design your own home......back then you could also design Ranches and Villas. The biggest differences between the two are that Designers can be either block or sided, and Ranches are all sided, and some "extras" in the Ranchers come as standard features in Designers. Only a few of the models overlap in the two types of homes.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Gold member

Hi JKP,

How do I find out what the "extras" are in a house? I have looked at more than 500 homes on line. They all seem to have the same kitchen lighting fixture, I do not know if I saw one with a flat roof or not. I notice a difference in the refrigerator and cabinets though.

I never thought about what you said about the corner lot. I had wanted a corner lot, because I am used to having a lot of wide open space.

The more I learn, it seems, I keep going back to the drawing board - so to speak. I noticed the priced differential between the Ranch and Designer home and could not figure out what the difference was, other than price.

Thanks for all the good info - appreciate it.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 10-06-2007, 08:27 PM

I have read a lot of developer bashing and feel a need to give my input. The Villages is the "BEST" retirement community in the United States and I wouldn't live anywhere else!
As for the homes and what some say are cheap attributes, I don't agree. You have to remember TV builds homes for all price ranges. Yes some of the homes have the flat ceilings or the plain cabinets, etc. For some people that is all they could afford to purchase and without that option they wouldn't be able to own a home here. The home my husband and I purchased is an Amarillo that had all the upgrades such as the 6 panel colonial doors in all the rooms, the pocket door to the guest area, double sinks in the master bath, oak kitchen cabinets with the crown molding, shutters on all the exterior windows, etc. We have also done upgrades adding granite counters in the kitchen and both bathrooms, we enclosed the lanai and front porch, pavers in the driveway, curbing around the landscape etc. And you know what folks, some people would consider this home not enough for them! I've said it before and I'll say it again, it doesn't matter what type home you own because we all live the life of a millionaire when you can call TV home.
Buy what you can afford and please BE HAPPY!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Gold member

Hi Happy Villagers,

Thank you for letting me know what some of the "extras" are.

If you feel okay about it, can you give me an idea of what it cost to enclose a lanai? I also liked the Bird Cage (?) extensions that I have seen on some of the lanais.

I did not realize pocket doors and some of the other items you mentioned were "extras."

Thanks for the input.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 AM

Hyacinth,

Not sure I recall if you've been house shopping at TV yet but I would advise that if not, you come down and set aside several days for "tire kicking". Gwt "Dickie" to drive you around and look at new, pre-owned (villages resales) and pre-owned MLS properties. We looked at over 30 properties in all of the above categories. The pros and cons quickly become apparent and the "cream" rises to the top.

Sometimes something as simple as the "volume" ceilings make or break a certain house or design. For example, after renting for a week and having house guests as well, we found the living room in the ranches to be a little too small for us. BUT, we looked at a couple of ranches owned by single folks and the layout was fine.

And, of course, don't forget the "white designer slimline phone".

It just boils down to your personal preferences and you may not really understand what they all are until you look at a number of properties...IMHO.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

HB - Regarding birdcage estimates, I've read several times that $25/sq. foot is a reasonable estimate. Can be more/less depending on what's done. I'm not sure about finishing out the lanai.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 AM

I am confused :dontknow: :dontknow:...If as we were told by our real estate agent back in April, homes can not be released for sale until finished then how can you have "extras"...If what we were told is true, then, by the time you see the house, it would be to late to add extras. Unless they build houses with and without the extras already...
??? ??? ???
Old 10-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Gold member

Hi Bella,

From what I understand at one time owners could customize their home before it was built. It appears that at this time they no longer offer this as an option.

I do not know if that means on the new homes if they all have the same design, appliances, cabinets etc.

That is all I know at this time.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Eternal Member

"Extras" are options on top of a standard package. At one time, you could visit TV and spend a week at the "Street of Dreams" (now the Southern Lifestyles store at Lake Sumter), and pick out all the options you wanted in your house. What TV did, presumably to save cost by getting economies of scale on their purchases, was to eliminate the option of custom designing homes and started building with popular sets of options. I would imagine they'd save a penny or two if they could order 10,000 yds of carpet at a deep volume discount, then sell it to you in your pre-built home as an upgrade. Many houses come now with ceramic, upgraded lights, extra elec outlets, pocket doors, all of which are listed as options on the receipt you get at closing.
Another advantage to the builder is they don't have to fix mistakes. "I said I wanted brown carpeting, you put in beige" complaints go away. Now it's take it or leave it when you see the already built house.
We had the option of buying one and picking everything out, but we opted for one built already. I wanted a few things the house had, and it had a few more things I'm glad I got.
I jsut can't wait to get there! It's a great place!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Gold member

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the clarity re: upgrades.

What were the extras that came with your house that you are now very happy that you have.

If you are new to looking at the villages it helps if you know there has been a change in policy when buying a new home. The options that were once available are now no longer available.

Have a good day.

Hyacinth
Old 10-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

Hyacinth:

I've been in my custom-built Designer since Feb '05. I had a ball building and decorating in the manner described by SteveFromNY.

When TV decided to eliminate that option of purchasing, I thought they'd made a very bad marketing decision, but probably a good bottom-line one. I was led to believe, though, that they seriously considered what all of us who had built under the program had chosen, and incorporated many of our choices into their "spec" built houses. Such as, a certain percentage having wood floors rather than tile or carpet, a certain percentage having such-and-such-style cabinets (upgrades from "standard"), etc.

Whether they actually did that or not, I really don't know. However, I do now know that it will undoubtedly be well worth your while to really, really and carefully, carefully, study what you think you want, to demand of your agent to see every option incorporating what you want, etc.

Many of my neighbors, all but a couple of whom built just as I did approx. three years ago, have already decided they needed changes, upgrades, whatever. Yes, the costs are on them, but they're making their new and probably last home just as they want it! It's a matter of being prepared to do so, I guess!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM

I am learning so much from everyone on this site - It will be a totally different visit when we go in December...We will be so much more prepared with questions...

Thanks Everyone! :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Gold member

Hi,

Bella, it is amazing the number of choices you have and the pros and cons of some of the choices. What I thought I originally wanted in a home in TV, I now realize that the negatives outweigh the value.

From all the responses that have I have read from this query, I will now save approximately $25,000. Besides saving the money, I have learned that I would have been very unhappy with my decision.

Swinrfla - I was curious to know how they are changing there homes. If you can, please let me know.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the clarity re: upgrades.

What were the extras that came with your house that you are now very happy that you have.

If you are new to looking at the villages it helps if you know there has been a change in policy when buying a new home. The options that were once available are now no longer available.

Have a good day.

Hyacinth
Hyacinth,
There were a LOT of options in my house - pages of them! I think they added about $30K to the base price of the house. The carpet was an upgrade, there is ceramic tile in the halls, the kitchen and baths that match. The cabinets and appliances were upgraded. There were ceiling fans, extra electric outlets, upgraded light fixtures, wider driveway, better front door, 12 ft wide sliders that open past the walls, attic floor and light over the garage, venetian blinds, and pocket doors (my single favorite). The pocket doors allow the 2nd BR, Den and bath to be completely separated from the rest of the house. Great for when folks visit - the MBR is on the opposite side and everyone has lots of privacy. It's the Gardenia model with plenty of room for us. We wanted concrete block and an open kitchen and were considering the Gardenia, Azelea and Grantham (a court yard villa). At the end of the day, the Gardenia won out because of the entry hallway and the hall into the MBR. I didn't like walking into the LR from outside or going from the K-LR-DR into the bedroom directly. All personal choices!
Rest assured there are homes there for sale that will meet your needs!

Steve
Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM

[quote=Hyacinth Bucket ]
Hi Happy Villagers,

Thank you for letting me know what some of the "extras" are.

If you feel okay about it, can you give me an idea of what it cost to enclose a lanai? I also liked the Bird Cage (?) extensions that I have seen on some of the lanais.

I did not realize pocket doors and some of the other items you mentioned were "extras."

Thanks for the input.

Hi Hyacinth, we had our lanai enclosed back in 2005 and it was around $3500. My husband tiled the floor himself so that was just material cost. I have no idea on the cost for the bird cage because we don't have one. We just had the front porch enclosed and that was $2400 which was way more expensive than the lanai considering the size being so much smaller. We also had a ceiling fan installed on our front porch and now can use both the lanai and porch to sit on. We get the sun in the front in the morning and on the lanai in the afternoons so we have the best of both worlds.

When we purchased our home you picked out a prebuilt model and purchased as is with no choice of options. We were shown approximately 12 new homes and we picked the one that had the most important options for us. For example I knew I did not want tile in my shower because of the upkeep connected with it and we definitely wanted the cathedral ceilings. There were slightly more than $25,000 worth of improvements on the home we chose and we lucked out because the corner homesite was reduced $10,000. You will be shown the the same style home and all will have a different purchase price because they will have different improvements built in to the cost.

It will be an exciting adventure when you get ready to purchase. Take a pen and pad with you to write down the particulars for each home you view. It can get confusing trying to remember what each house had and where it was located and the cost too. I wish you all the best and to TV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.