Rentals increasing?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klough53 View Post
Erika, Ii agree with your sentiments 100 percent. We have been renting the last two winters in order to see if this is a place for us to buy into. Last years owner got back a cleaner home and a few extra items we left behind that were needed.
This years owner will have cleaner dishes, glasses, silverware and pots and pans than were left to us.
In addition the gas grill will be cleaner, tank will be full, better than when we arrived.We do not consider ourselves on vacation, we relocated for a spell to a new very expensive Premier Home
If renters like us are seen in such a bad light, perhaps you don't deserve us as future stakeholders here in AMERICA'S FRIENDLIEST HOMETOWN!
You can rent my home anytime!
Old 01-31-2016, 04:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Furnishing A Home "On The Cheap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlnat View Post
We've got a designer house that we've been renting out unfurnished for a minimum of 12 months. We're considering whether or not we should go ahead and completely furnish it and rent it out monthly. That would also give us the benefit of getting to come visit The Villages ourselves when it's not rented! The idea of completely furnishing our house from top to bottom terrifies me though, because I am NOT gifted when it comes to decorating. Any suggestions of how to go about getting our house furnished and ready to rent?
We purchased our home and had two weeks to furnish it and get it ready for renters before we had to go back home. It's a 3/2 Designer and I did the whole house including everything one would need in the cupboards, for $4000. Everyone who sees it (including my renters) declares how beautiful it is and can't believe that it was all done through the classifieds on TOTV, thrift stores and yard sales. It can be done, but you do have to have a knack for that sort of adventure! PM me if you'd like more info.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 AM

Absolutely!! Wonder How Many Renters Are UNDER 55?? Would Be Nice To Make That a Part of Each Buy of a House in TV as It is "Suppose" to be a 55 Plus Community.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDover View Post
Absolutely!! Wonder How Many Renters Are UNDER 55?? Would Be Nice To Make That a Part of Each Buy of a House in TV as It is "Suppose" to be a 55 Plus Community.

I only allow couples over 60. No children either.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDover View Post
20% it's a law
Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
20% it's a law
Clarification: The law says no more than 20% under 55 to be designated as a 55+ community. My understanding is that there is no minimum requirement to have residents under 55.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
I only allow couples over 60. No children either.
Good for you. A considerate landlord.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Chatbrat- you are SO wrong. We rent our home in the villages- we are normally rented from October to April. EVERY RENTER we have had has been VERY high class. You realize these people lay down HALF the high season rent a year ahead of time. People that can drop over $5000 a year ahead of time are not Slobs. I am VERY offended by your post.

In fact, several of the posts in this thread IMPLY that renters are not as good as full timers or even snowbirds who own. I plan on moving into my house eventually when I finally retire. Based on my experience and observations of "full timers" homes, Renters keep their homes NICER because they want their security deposits back.

The bottom line is this - there are not enough rental homes to handle all the people who want to rent. The rents go up every year, but the PERCENT of homes that are rented has not gone up, just the number because there are so many more homes.

Ed

Agreed. [emoji106]

We also rent our home only during the high season until we move here full time next year. We are extremely picky about our renters...no children, no long term overnight guests. We have had no complaints from our neighbors & I do ask. They are very respectful of the property. We in turn have Deans for our lawn service so the property is kept in good order. I too take offense to your statement. We are not all created equal. Most of us do care!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

We rented our Villa for the last six years and have only wonderful things to say about our renters.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 02-01-2016, 10:13 AM

Yes, rental prices have increased and so has insurance, amenities, home repair/maintenance services to keep the home up to par. Most homes only can be rented for 3 to 4 months, so it is not a money maker...
Sad thing is, in this age bracket of home ownership, things happen. Neighbor just died and left his widow after a bout with cancer. Neighbors on other side both died within months of each other....another couple divorced......Live, love, and enjoy each day.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:22 AM

If you do some checking around, you will find that MANY homes have been sold by the Villages to people very much under 55yrs. Most landlords keep their homes up very well,
look at the website....very nice homes. When no one wants to come to the Villages anymore, THEN you will see your property values effected.....whoosh!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM

I think the economy is better and so we get more people coming to Florida not to mention the crummy weatherup north

Last edited by inda50; 02-01-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: a little off topic
Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeniagirl View Post
Yes, rental prices have increased and so has insurance, amenities, home repair/maintenance services to keep the home up to par. Most homes only can be rented for 3 to 4 months, so it is not a money maker...
Sad thing is, in this age bracket of home ownership, things happen. Neighbor just died and left his widow after a bout with cancer. Neighbors on other side both died within months of each other....another couple divorced......Live, love, and enjoy each day.
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. After all is said and done you will only turn a very small profit on the rental. If you want it to pay some expenses, well thats ok, but keep in mind, keeping two places is risky.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
Has the number of rentals over time been increasing or no?
Since the number of houses continues to increase, it seems logical to assume that the number of rentals would as well. We had heard that the typical villager will buy three homes here. What we didn't expect was that so many villagers would keep their first and/or second one to rent.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Took me 4 days to furnish our new villa in 2010. Total $14,867.00. But I did bring some things with me. Then again we had southern lifestyles and they are no more
I agree with your number- I had about $5000 for a used golf cart also...
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
rentals, increasing, time, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.