Right of Way?

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I am intrigued by the fact that there have been 88 posts, occupying nine pages, when the complete and correct answer was made in the fourth post on the first page by Villagetinker.

http://www.districtgov.org/community...t-02-08-12.pdf

As the two roundabouts in my example are three way and not four, I still would question why the design is not consistent with example #2 as a section of the right lane to Hillsborough in # 1 should never be used!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Traffic.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	68301   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	traffic2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	68302  
Old 05-02-2017, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As the two roundabouts in my example are three way and not four, I still would question why the design is not consistent with example #2 as a section of the right lane to Hillsborough in # 1 should never be used!
If you are referring to the right lane that leads to the resident gate, I think it's there because the entrance to the gates is two lanes. I agree it should almost never be used unless someone screws up and uses the outside lane instead of the inner lane. It may be just easier to build them all the same way and use lane markings to create a single lane such as the one on Morse near the Sheriff station near 466.

In the other example, remember it was constructed years ago when roundabouts were first part of the development and it feeds a single lane road instead of two lanes to an entrance gate.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
If you are referring to the right lane that leads to the resident gate, I think it's there because the entrance to the gates is two lanes. I agree it should almost never be used unless someone screws up and uses the outside lane instead of the inner lane. It may be just easier to build them all the same way and use lane markings to create a single lane such as the one on Morse near the Sheriff station near 466.

In the other example, remember it was constructed years ago when roundabouts were first part of the development and it feeds a single lane road instead of two lanes to an entrance gate.
Yes. I am well aware that the gate entrance has two lanes. However, if the outside lane should never be used, then don’t create it as someone will be tempted to use it. Poor design and should be changed in my opinion to the other design even if it is older. Or, like the one on Morse for the left turn into Lake Sumter Landing. The inner lane or single lane should feed into either of the two gate lane.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	traffic3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	68305  

Last edited by twoplanekid; 05-02-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Platinum member
Wink Changed the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
This is arguably a design fault. However, it is far afield from the concern of the original poster who wondered why someone in the inside lane would honk at him for entering the circle in the outside lane.

This has been explained by early postings that pointed out that he would be interfering with a driver in the inside lane who had come half way or three quarters of the way around the circle and was intending to properly depart the circle from the inside lane into the left lane of the exit road.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
This is arguably a design fault. However, it is far afield from the concern of the original poster who wondered why someone in the inside lane would honk at him for entering the circle in the outside lane.

This has been explained by early postings that pointed out that he would be interfering with a driver in the inside lane who had come half way or three quarters of the way around the circle and was intending to properly depart the circle from the inside lane into the left lane of the exit road.
Or into the right lane of the exit road as in the three way example.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I am intrigued by the fact that there have been 88 posts, occupying nine pages, when the complete and correct answer was made in the fourth post on the first page by Villagetinker.

http://www.districtgov.org/community...t-02-08-12.pdf

Closed Thread

Tags
round-about, lanes, lane, straight, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.