Right of Way?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 PM

well, thanks for all the feedback. I'm entering in the right hand lane slowly after a stop, and staying right, and exiting at the next right. According to y'all, I'm right and/or wrong. I'm just going to accept the inevitable and wait from now on.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

And yet, the markings in the roundabouts (many of them) are clearly broken lines, indicating that it is allowable to change lanes; not solid lines indicating that you cannot change. And, for many roundabouts ( as an example, entering the roundabout near Lake Miona Rec Center from Bailey Trail) there is only one entry lane. If you are continuing North on Buena Vista, you have to get into the left lane around the roundabout, forcing you to change lanes. If you are going South on BV, you need to enter into the right lane. If you are going straight across to Odell, theoretically either lane would do, depending on whether you want to enter via the resident or guest lane. Not always black and white, and requires some common sense.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM

Rubicon says "However if a driver intends to go the 270 then they use either the right or left lane and as they exit they use their right hand signal.."

Rubicon, read the Sumter County Guide to Navigating Roundabouts again

It is NEVER acceptable to use the right lane if you intend to exit 3/4 of the way around the roundabout.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Of all the many comments about roundabouts being dangerous, I disagree with this conclusion.
There are far more accidents at the intersections along CR466 & CR466A then in all the roundabouts combined.

BTW I am betting this thread reaches 50 posts................
49 down...1 to go!
Old 04-29-2017, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I am seeking wisdom from the pundits on here:
Twice I have turned into a clear RIGHT-hand lane in a round-about, intending to turn right again out of it, and been honked at by someone coming around in the LEFT-hand lane. Apparently they were one of those people that like to cut straight across both lanes in the round-about, and got upset because I got in their way. I am aware that a car in the round-about has right of way, but I don't think cutting across lanes is legal or acceptable. Am I right?
If you are entering the ROB at six o'clock and the driver in the left hand lane entered at nine o'clock then that driver has right to take the same exit as you. If there is only one lane then he might have a right to be upset. But honking in general is ridiculous and unnecessary. If people cut me off I just slow down and let them go.

On the other hand there are people that believe that you should never enter a ROB if there is another car in it. Ridiculous!!! ROBs are made to keep traffic moving=, If every car has to wait until the ROB was completely clear, we might as well have four way stop signs.

What's the point in blowing your horn in that situation? It stupid and accomplishes nothing. People honk their horns, I pretty much ignore them. In fact I usually feel sorry for them for being to angry.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
49 down...1 to go!
OK, in that case I'll reference post #42.
First, the LAW never specifies who HAS the right of way, it specifies who MUST YIELD IT.
Second, do you think the Sumter County Sheriff's Dept. put out a brochure that is contrary to existing FL law?
Third, if you like the law, there is FL statute 316.123 section 3:
"(3) The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall, in obedience to such sign, slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway. After slowing or stopping, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to ANY vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection. If such a driver is involved in a collision with a pedestrian in a crosswalk or a vehicle in the intersection, after driving past a yield sign without stopping, the collision shall be deemed prima facie evidence of the driver’s failure to yield the right-of-way.."
Fourth, as far as turning onto a multilane highway goes, it's OK to turn into the near lane if it is clear, WHEN turning at an intersection. If you are turning from a driveway, parking lot or alley, it's different.
FL statute 316.125 section 1 states "The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a highway from an alley, building, private road or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on the highway to be entered which are so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard."
Old 04-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If you are entering the ROB at six o'clock and the driver in the left hand lane entered at nine o'clock then that driver has right to take the same exit as you. If there is only one lane then he might have a right to be upset. But honking in general is ridiculous and unnecessary. If people cut me off I just slow down and let them go.

On the other hand there are people that believe that you should never enter a ROB if there is another car in it. Ridiculous!!! ROBs are made to keep traffic moving=, If every car has to wait until the ROB was completely clear, we might as well have four way stop signs.

What's the point in blowing your horn in that situation? It stupid and accomplishes nothing. People honk their horns, I pretty much ignore them. In fact I usually feel sorry for them for being to angry.
Yes, there are. Those people are the Sheriff's Dept, the State Police, the State Legislature and the courts. The statement from the DMV:

"At the dashed yield line, look to your left and yield to drivers already in the roundabout. Remember, in a multi-lane roundabout, you must yield to both lanes of traffic."

seems pretty clear to me.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Read the pamphlet in post #4 from the Sumter County Sherriff. Here is a direct lift from it:

Navigating Roundabouts What is a Roundabout?
• Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in
traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.
• Within the roundabout, do not stop except to avoid a
collision; you have the right-of-way over entering
traffic. Keep moving in a counterclockwise direction.
Do not change lanes in a roundabout.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
well, thanks for all the feedback. I'm entering in the right hand lane slowly after a stop, and staying right, and exiting at the next right. According to y'all, I'm right and/or wrong. I'm just going to accept the inevitable and wait from now on.
I think it's been made pretty clear you're wrong if you are not yielding to both lanes of traffic in a roundabout. Even the county sheriffs say so. Only one person disagrees--and maybe Rubicon. Isn't that why you asked the question, to find out what's right and what's wrong? The sign doesn't say "Yield Here, Not There." It says "Yield," period.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

[QUOTE=aninjamom;1392855]well, thanks for all the feedback. I'm entering in the right hand lane slowly after a stop, and staying right, and exiting at the next right. According to y'all, I'm right and/or wrong. I'm just going to accept the inevitable and wait from now on.[/QUOTE

Travel north on Morse Blvd above Rt44 and enter into the roundabout at Pinellas Place and Moyer Loop. Now please explain how your strategy will work. Moyer Loop is the first right off Morse and is one lane. The person in the roundabout has the right of way. How does that person get through you to exit on Moyer Loop?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Here is what I have learned reading round about threads. Many people have different ideas about how it works. Many people don't have a clue how it works. Some people don't care how it works. Some people are right and some people are wrong. My take away is .. enter with caution and be prepared for anything another driver might do. Btw, I like the roundabouts and think they are a safe and efficient way to move traffic.

To me it's simple. If you are in the right lane, you are allowed to make the first or second right in the RAB. If you are going to the third right turn, you need to be in the left lane.

I am always careful in the RAB as I don't assume everyone knows how they work or don't care. I try to stay behind them. I have seen many incidences of people going to the third right turn from the right lane. One person wanted to make the third right from the right lane and saw I was nearby and went to the next roundabout to turn around.

Right or wrong, your insurance will go up if you are involved in an accident.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Part of the problem is the OP doesn't understand why someone should be in the left lane. It's the reaction by many snowbirds who don't look at the signs or read the brochures. If they get in the outside lane and drive very slow to any exit, they figure they'll be safe.

Just imagine a 4-way stop. Each roadway is 2 lanes. If you were making a left turn, you wouldn't be in the right lane would you? No, you would be in the left lane. If you were turning right, you would be in the right lane, correct? If you were going straight you could be in either lane, correct? Just picture that in your mind the next time you approach a round-about. You need to start planning your lane usage before you get to the round-about so you'll be in the correct lane.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Some things are certain, it never is a bad idea to use directional signals to alert all lane users and cars entering of intention to exit. secondly is to never assume that other drivers have a clue about what they are doing in right lane of roundabout or that entering driver will yield to cars already in the roundabout. Forget about having the right of way, because that can lead to accidents.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-30-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

The rules are simple. If you are in the right-hand lane when entering a roundabout you may only turn right or go straight. If you are in the left hand lane entering the roundabout, you may only go straight or turn left. Traffic that is already in the roundabout has the right-of-way.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 AM

They have the right of way .... they own it. You have to be considerate of them. Here's a rule to keep you safe ... when in the roundabout always keep a half car length either ahead or behind the adjacent car ... and if "behind" you must watch their front wheel for the turn and don't commit until they commit.
Closed Thread

Tags
round-about, lanes, lane, straight, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.