Rogue Garage Door Opener

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Rogue Garage Door Opener

We are having problems with our garage door opener. We leave the house after watching the garage door close fully, and sometimes return to see the door standing open. I know it is not closing and immediately reopening because on one occasion a neighbor said it opened after we had been gone on vacation for two days.

The first time this happened was several months ago, so I changed the code. It started happening again a couple of weeks ago, so I changed the code again. Today, it happened again.

This happens only on our main (2 car) garage door; not on the golf cart door.

Our controller does not open the doors of other houses in the neighborhood, so it is unlikely that a neighbor's controller opens ours.

I am at a loss about what to do short of changing the entire unit.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem, and if so, how did you correct it?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Gold member

Had a similar problem. Could not nail down a reason but for peace of mind I decided to replace the 10 year old system with a new opener that uses "rolling codes" which automatically change after each use. No issues for the last 3 years.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
We are having problems with our garage door opener. We leave the house after watching the garage door close fully, and sometimes return to see the door standing open. I know it is not closing and immediately reopening because on one occasion a neighbor said it opened after we had been gone on vacation for two days.

The first time this happened was several months ago, so I changed the code. It started happening again a couple of weeks ago, so I changed the code again. Today, it happened again.

This happens only on our main (2 car) garage door; not on the golf cart door.

Our controller does not open the doors of other houses in the neighborhood, so it is unlikely that a neighbor's controller opens ours.

I am at a loss about what to do short of changing the entire unit.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem, and if so, how did you correct it?
I would call Ryan O'Cull Garage Doors. Highly recommended on this site. (352) 617-0522

Tell him your story - maybe he can help. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM

its quite possible that you have a wire rubbed through somewhere and the slightest vibration is making contact. just a thought as that was the problem on another opener with similar symptoms.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Our neighbor had the same problem and ended up having to replace the circuit board.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I would call Ryan O'Cull Garage Doors. Highly recommended on this site. (352) 617-0522

Tell him your story - maybe he can help. Good luck.
Same thing happened to me on our main door; Ryan O'Cull came out very shortly after I called him and $50 later and about 20 minutes, it works the way it should.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Veteran member

One other possibility is that the opener is on the original or default code set and that other people with similar garage door openers and remotes also set to the original code set are accidentally or purposefully opening your garage with them. A guy I know was once a car salesman at a small dealership and would routinely test drive cars people were trying to trade in. If he saw a remote control in the car, he'd always try it as he went by one particular house and he claimed that about one time in five, it would open the garage door. Just a possibility, but you could try reprogramming the opener and remote to a new set of codes.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

There was a RUMOR that all of the houses had a default "construction contractor" code, so it is possible that when you changes your code you did not wipe out the other code. If I recall correctly these openers can store several valid codes. Try removing ALL codes, and then reprogram.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Ryan is the real answer....great guy....fast & reasonable. I always unplug our opener before we go away.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Gold member

Don't forget to use the procedure to clear out all the old codes. Otherwise you are just adding a new one for your remote, but the sensor retains the other codes too.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Carl, the same thing happened to me. I bet your opener is a Ro-Mac. They don't have a rolling code. I replaced both motors with another brand. The plus is the new ones are extra quiet.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-21-2017, 04:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Had Ryan reprogram ours. It's 6 years old started opening up on its own while we were home. Has not happened since
Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

We replaced all 3 openers for the same reason
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

ok i can't believe with all the brilliant minds no one mentioned the down pressure electronic adjustment.
There are safety adjustments with to much downward pressure which will send the opener up if it senses to much downward pressure ( it is there for a safety if a car, human etc. is under door) I have seen these adjustment be at the edge of downward pressure and intermittently send the door in upward motion after closing for a period of time.
Usually the down limit is also out of adjustment.
Good luck.
P.S.
Also the rotating code is good but the new romac openers have thousand of codes and is unlikely if the opener is cleared that you will get a code the same as your neighbor.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
ok i can't believe with all the brilliant minds no one mentioned the down pressure electronic adjustment.
There are safety adjustments with to much downward pressure which will send the opener up if it senses to much downward pressure ( it is there for a safety if a car, human etc. is under door) I have seen these adjustment be at the edge of downward pressure and intermittently send the door in upward motion after closing for a period of time.
Usually the down limit is also out of adjustment.
Good luck.
P.S.
Also the rotating code is good but the new romac openers have thousand of codes and is unlikely if the opener is cleared that you will get a code the same as your neighbor.
Our new romax would open up hours after garage was shut. Ryan fixed that one too.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, garage, open, happened, controller

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.