living next to a rec center?

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran member
Default living next to a rec center?

We just put a non refundable $2500 deposit on a lot next to Sanibel Rec ctr. Having second thoughts on being there because of the noise from pickleball and screaming children in the family pool. We can can hold off until the next group of lots become available (4-6 weeks). They have very limited lots that a stretched Lantana will fit on. Any Pro's or Con's on living next to a Rec. Ctr.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Every time I play pickleball I think how awful it must be living near the courts, but I haven't been inside one of those homes to see if it actually is annoying. You might want to do that.

A friend lives on a golf course and says that it surprised her how noisy that can be. Not just the players and carts all day, but the grass-cutting and other servicing after hours.

The only way to be sure is to experience it for yourself.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 AM

You resurrected a nearly-gone memory: Several years ago, I was visiting TV and stayed at one of the motels in the Spanish Springs area, I think the Comfort Suites.

In the morning, it was very cold, for north-central Florida, maybe in the low 30s. There was frost on the cars parked in the shade of the motel.

And, it was quiet ... except for the "thunk-thunk-thunk" of the players on the pickleball court next door (I don't remember the name of that rec center; you residents know the one). I walked over to take a look; about eight folis were playing, all bundled in sweat clothes.

Thanks for the memory.

As for that location for a home, well, it's certainly convenient. But just that visit of mine and the early-morning (it was maybe 7:30 or 8 a.m.) players tells me there are some dedicated players out there and they're not dedicated to letting you sleep in.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Your right to have second thoughts. Some folks in Arizona have been pushing to have pickelball remove from their communities because of the noise
Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Wow. I thought just the opposite. The lovely sound of pickleball would lull me to sleep! Up north people have no problem next to the courts, but there are only two courts there. Your decision.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sweetie and I and Helene spent three seasons in our Hadley home just a stones throw from the Odell family pool and fairly near the pickleball courts and right next to the shuffleboard courts and loved every second of it.

We could throw on our bathing suits and grab a towel and walk out our back yard to the pool. The sound of little ones having a good time was a happy sound to us. We are early risers and so any sound in the morning didn't bother us, but none of us ever noted the sound of pickleballs. The shuffleboard players, who were the closest...sometimes the guys were a little raucous, but behind our bushes in the privacy of our very close back yard, I could yell out..."hey there fellas watch your language" if we were having company ...otherwise it didn't bother me either. I bet they wondered where that sweet voice came from.

I loved it when family came. It was like having your own entertainment park in the back yard and you didn't have to clean the pool or do anything...Plus The Villages planted beautiful palm trees that we could see from our house. It was cheaper than planting our own.

We felt the walls and windows kept out almost every sound.

We loved it.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Sage

When my wife and I were looking at homes 2 years ago, one of the houses on our "short list" was fronting on Bacall golf course. On our second or third look at the house, 4 golf balls hit the house with a big thud while we were looking all within 1 hour. One of the golfers actually came into the yard and was searching in the bushes by the lanai for his ball.

We also noticed the noise of the pickleball courts quite a bit on that second look and decided between the pickleball noise and the placement of the house on the flight path of too many golf balls, this was NOT our dream house.

We found another one on Glenview golf course that we have not had any hits of the house in 2 years. Location, Location, Location.

So, Old Crabs, I would not live close to a rec center.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:13 AM

Seems to me that the vast majority of pickleball noise is AM. I have friends who have a home next to a rec center and love it. Private lanai for less $ and the convenience of walking out to the pool.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:13 AM

The Picklball courts would drive me crazy. Imagine sleeping in at 7 am...then the constant cracking of the paddles....some can handle it..not me
Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would think it would be about how late you sleep. I am up every day at 5:00 AM or before. So I doubt it would bother me much. And if you don't have your own pool, being close to a pool would be good. However if you like to sleep late, don't like the noise of kids in your back yard, (yards are REALLY small in TV, so yes in YOUR back yard) I would make a different decision. Being one street over from an adult pool would be a good location. Being next to a rec center with a family pool and pickleball, maybe not so good.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Gold member

Living next to a rec center is not a problem at all. The sounds are those of people and their grandkids having fun. That's what it's all about.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 AM

While seriously considering a pre-owned last year that backed up to a rec center we found ourselves questioning the same thing. We then came back a few times, at different hours to see the home, walk around etc. The home was empty so we didn't feel that we were imposing on the owners. After the early morning pickelball hours visit we made the decision to pass on the home.

It really is a personal preference. If you are second guessing your lot choice, this may be an indicator.
Nan
Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Default Rec Center in our backyard

We also own a home that backs up to the Rec Center....the pickleball is on the other side of the grounds, so the sounds are not annoying to us. We could have purchased new for the price of this 3 year old home, but we felt the location was ideal. Just think of not having to get into the golf cart everytime you wanted to take a dip. When family comes, we can easily walk to all of the activities the Rec Center has to offer. We probably would have thought twice about having the pickleball courts adjacent to our home, so you may want to see how close you are to the courts, but we really enjoy the sounds of people having fun, for us it is much more enjoyable than other sounds you may encounter.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Gold member

As others have said, being "next" to a rec center is relative to where you are next to a rec center. If the lanai overlooks the pickleball court and you don't like the sound, that is one thing, but, if you are on the other side of the rec center, you have to strain your ears to hear the pickleball.

We are very close to a rec center and view its location to be a strong positive for the reasons cited. It provides a built-in activity center for any spur of the moment whim to use the shuffle board, bocce, billiards or swimming pool. It is exceptionally good when company comes to visit. As far as noise, we occasionally hear some noise coming from the shuffle board courts which we are nearest to. The very distant sounds of kids in the pool during the peak spring break times is like music - reminds you of the joy of living in such a great place where grandkids can have fun.

I doubt that we will ever move, but if we did, we would have close proximity to a rec center as a virtual necessity.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
We just put a non refundable $2500 deposit on a lot next to Sanibel Rec ctr. Having second thoughts on being there because of the noise from pickleball and screaming children in the family pool. We can can hold off until the next group of lots become available (4-6 weeks). They have very limited lots that a stretched Lantana will fit on. Any Pro's or Con's on living next to a Rec. Ctr.
Looks like you're in quite a pickle! I think no matter where you live in TV you'll have a ball. However, I would prefer not to live that close to a court. I live a few blocks away from one and I can hear the noise clearly in the AM. Doesn't really bother me from that distance though.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.