Roman showers...a question

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Default Roman showers...a question

regarding the cleaning of them. I love the tiled Roman showers that are available and am looking forward to not having a glass shower door to clean - I love a clean bathroom, but don't want to spend my time in TV trying to keep a shower door clean. The question is: what products do you use to clean the tile and how do you rinse the tiles. Do you have a hand-held shower head? The hubs doesn't like that look, so am wondering if I could pick your brains for techniques and products that you use. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Sage

I have a Roman shower in my house and love it! What I didn't love was cleaning the shower. I do have a hand held shower head, makes it easier to clean. The grout lines were my problem....couldn't keep them white. They took on an orange color and even having a professional tile cleaning company out to work on it, still left a faint orange tint behind. It was suggested that there wasn't enough ventilation in that area so I started using a small fan to dry out the shower when we were finished using it. You can wipe down the tiles when you're done using the shower for the day and that should help keep cleaning easier to accomplish. Now, saying all this, I had the tiles ripped out and Jettastone put in. It's a man made material, like Corian. I LOVE IT!. Just use a squeegee to remove excess water and I'm done. No more grout lines to worry about, very easy to clean and the shower is much brighter. Had dark tiles in my shower originally and now I've picked a much lighter jettastone.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I have a Roman shower in my Camilla and it big and tiled. I've had no problem with the grout turning. It's as white as it was when I moved in 2 1/4 years ago. It came with a hand held shower head besides the rain shower head. We rinse the walls quickly after a shower with the hand held and my wife gives it a little scrub periodically. It's still beautiful.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I have a Roman shower in my Camilla and it big and tiled. I've had no problem with the grout turning. It's as white as it was when I moved in 2 1/4 years ago. It came with a hand held shower head besides the rain shower head. We rinse the walls quickly after a shower with the hand held and my wife gives it a little scrub periodically. It's still beautiful.
They are great, aren't they! My shower is 5 years old and was nice for a few years...they the orange began. I've got to assume it was me and the way I cleaned or didn't clean the thing.

You had a hand held as original equipment? How nice. We had to add one because it really was a pain in the neck to try and clean the shower without one.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:06 PM

First, we had our tile sealed by a professional to prevent staining and all those problems you get with tile. We changed the grout color on the floor because the product applied was an acrylic grout product. In the bathrooms (except the floor) they used another product to prevent mold & mildew, but not the same stuff they used on all the tile flooring.

Now all I use is a microfiber cloth (purchased a bunch at Sams) and after we shower we just wipe down the wall with this cloth and it works better than a squeegee because the cloth goes into the grooves of the grout.

Once a week I use a cleaning product I purchased at Fresh Market because they sell cleaning products that are gentle and non toxic. The guy that sealed my tile told me not to clean with the regular cleaning products as they are too harsh. I just spray my cleaner on the wall and wipe with my microfiber cloth and that is it. I am not spending 1/2 spraying water trying to clean bubbles off the tile now and I would never use a harsh product on my tile.

It is so easy to keep clean, we love it. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Default Roman shower

Thanks Pa & Giggi, that sounds easy enough and I love the microfiber cloths - do you have the name of the cleaner that you use? I don't like using toxic chemicals for lots of reasons, one being some of those cleaners affects my breathing and I certainly don't want to damage the tile or the grout. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

I solved grout staining problems with a product called groutshields. It is an acrylic based colorized sealer. We've used it for years and have been pleased....would not have tile without it. I even use it on new tile installs.

You can find it online right from the company....just type in the www and the name.....

I found it did not work as well with the little 1" tiles, but with any normal larger tiles, etc it has worked great.

Disclaimer- I have no personal stake in this product or company...I just like passing info along when something works for me.

Frank
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Grown up retired people are so accomplished in everything now.

Frank.

This is twice I have made a note of a cleaning product you have used. This is still another reason why I wish you Franks lived on our block.

I love the fact that so many men are so helpful with cleaning tips and one special fella that posts on here sews.

If I could learn to use a few kinds of saws and a nail gun, I would hold up my end of this new way to do things.

Thank you once again Frank!!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default another great grout cleaner

I'm not associated with this product at all, but highly recommend for cleaning mold in grout.....Lat time I recommended this product there was a run on Mold Armour at Publix....Only product that I have found that has turned my dingy shower to wonderfully WHITE again (and we have the tiny tile in floor of shower)....Yea!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Platinum member

When we went thru the walkthru with the builder he suggested to leave the exhaust fan run for 15 minutes after shower was finished. This allowed the moisture to escape to avoid mold and discoloration of grout. It might not be the 100% cure but it helps.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

I have used that Mold Armor also...good stuff. Ace runs specials on it every so often....

Gracie, thank you. Just to clarify, the groutshields product is not a cleaner. It comes with a cleaner that you put on before the product, but it is really a colorized sealer. It makes porous grout non-porous, so that if it does get dirty down the road, it cleans very easily. It makes it non-staining, etc.

Frank
Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I'm not associated with this product at all, but highly recommend for cleaning mold in grout.....Lat time I recommended this product there was a run on Mold Armour at Publix....Only product that I have found that has turned my dingy shower to wonderfully WHITE again (and we have the tiny tile in floor of shower)....Yea!
I used Mold Armour, also, and it really did help, but by the time I found out about it, even that didn't get the grout back to its original color. The stuff works, just spray, leave the room for a while, come in and rinse it off. I only found it be chance while in Publix one day. Wish I had seen it earlier, though I really do enjoy the new interior of my shower.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Default BeeGee

I use GreenShield Organic Bathroom Cleaner it comes in a big spray bottle and it works just fine for me. I am quite satisfied and I like it a lot better than those scrubbing bubbles that take forever to rinse out of the shower. Plus, I know I am not using anything strong on the tile or grout that will damage it and it also contains antimicrobial cleansers.

This is just a product I happened to find on the shelf as I was looking for an organic product and it fit the bill. Thanks, Gisele
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Gold member

When I had the grout sealed on my tile files I had our showers done too. I just use the citric cleaner that the grout guy gave me. Only problem I've had was the block window the builder put in. There were some cracks in the grout or what ever it is that holds the blocks in. Warranty did come back and fix them somewhat and then we applied sealer over that. I do have the hand held shower attachment we added and that's just our preference.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.