Roped off entire section to save seats

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 AM

I have removed ribbon tied around chairs. I was at the SS Mardi Gras Festival and saw many older people standing while many "reserved" chairs were empty. I went over and pulled the tape off the chairs so some people could sit down. More people need to take action before this unjust system changes. The chairs are free and available on a first come basis. There are no reserved seats. If you come across seats with cushions and ribbon, it's up to you to do something to make a change.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It could be handled. They just don't want to.

You are right.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

This is just my observation, but it would appear that "we" have allowed the line dancers to take over the squares and the chairs. Beginners on one side, plus on another and intermediates on another; and if Scooter is playing then you will not find a chair all night.

When we first bought and moved here the squares were open and space was available to all types of dancers, you would see some really good dancers (ballroom), but now it would appear that the squares are filled with mostly line dancers - of which I am one - however, I do not dance at the squares, I choose to dance elsewhere.

I came through LSL last night at about 6:30pm and it was so cold and windy that you had to be an eskimo to be out there last night!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Some People here are mean...

I slid an empty chair a few inches down to allow me to place our home brought chairs in, and some dude standing behind us yelled at me, A woman. I simply said sorry, and squeezed on in.

There were 5 chairs, all empty, I mean really. I moved it over about 6 inches so I could squeeze our chairs in.

No one ever sat in them, including him, and we stayed for 3 hours, but he protected those chairs with his life.......

What happened to kindness... sometimes it makes me wonder......
Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Some of these people were the ones who bit their fellow preschoolers.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Some of these people were the ones who bit their fellow preschoolers.

Damned straight.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Not saving chairs could be part of the general announcement. Just like no coolers and smoke free. Even though it won't help in the beginning of the night, it gives a reference to the situation.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Platinum member

I have no problem with saving chairs as long as someone is in each chair at 5pm.
But to save them until 5:30 or 6-that is not right. IMHO
Old 02-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
The problem with that group was they saved all those seats....and never sat down....

We bring our own chairs and we sat in the area directly behind them, behind the bushes, to the side of the stage....they had about 15 people who never sat down down.....They just stood in front of there chairs, all piled together and mingled in place.

We danced most of the time, but it did get annoying for the others sitting next too us.....

All we heard all night was, down in front...but not loud enough for anyone of them too care...

Some people are very selfish. They should of walked behind all the people in chairs and stood and talked...
No, the problem with that group is that they had the nerve to tie a ribbon around seats in an attempt to save them. There is not saving or reserving seats at the squares. I was at SS one night when people complained to one of the Villages personnel that a rope had been tied around some chairs and they had no place to sit. To his credit and to a round of applause, the cut the rope and tossed it in the trash. A few people from the group came around and kind of sheepishly looked at people sitting in the seats that they had roped off. They never said a word because they knew what they did was wrong and someone had done something about it. IMHO, the Villages personnel should stop people from doing this when they see them or remove the ribbons and ropes when they are notified of a situation.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I still say that trying to police something like that is impossible. Ballsy people win through intimidation. There is NO entertainment department in the world that could stop this attitude. Most of us don't WANT or enjoy confrontation.

What if the entertainment department removed the cushions and the ropes? Some smart aleck with a snootful is going to take on someone and it well may get physical.

If they employed every night one person to remove the ropes and the cushions, every night, 364 days a year, then that has to come out of the money usually used by entertainment and out of the money from the merchants. Somebody has to pay for it. Would it work? Would the cops be called two or three times a week to eject someone? This is a public area.

No one would learn anything from the cops being called. It would just be ugly and not a really good way to handle it.

WHo knows who is carrying and drinking at the same time?

We have so much negative stuff on this forum. We are devaluing our own homes.

I think that The Villages expected people to behave like mature adults here. They try to avoid making a line and daring people to cross it.

Would signs help? If you put up directions, you have to have some teeth to them. I say that the people who think they are above directions and rules will just keep on, keepin' on.
I would think that this turing into a physical confrontation would be a very rare event. And if it did happen, why should it be the people who are there to enjoy the entertainment. What are the entertainment department staff there for. Isn't it their job to enforce the regulations? If they saw someone smoking wouldn't they say something to that person? You can bet if they saw someone with a cooler they'd be on him in a minute. Couldn't that also turn into a physical confrontation? Why is this any different?

There are also police on the squares. I would think that if one of the entertainment staff had a problem or sensed that there was going to be a problem with someone, they could have an officer there as back up.

Having the entertainment staff handle these situation, to me anyway, is much more preferable than having two of the audience members going at it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Sage
Default Lordy.

Man arrested for assault after saved seats taken at church | KSL.com
Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage

We should organize a group of us to go to one of the squares and tie ribbons around all of the seats. We could just explain that we are saving the seats for people who are coming. Then we could just allow people that we want to be seated. How would that be any different than saving twenty seats?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
We should organize a group of us to go to one of the squares and tie ribbons around all of the seats. We could just explain that we are saving the seats for people who are coming. Then we could just allow people that we want to be seated. How would that be any different than saving twenty seats?

Anytime you want to start, I mean QUELL trouble, I am IN.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I do believe that signs could be of help in minimizing the problem. At least those who are gererally consirderate of others would know that mass hoarding was not acceptable.

Those who still practice hoarding would also know that was not a protected activity.

That said , there is no real answer for inconsiderate people.IMHO
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

What I plan on doing is being one of the 10,000 people that come on TOTV and complain about this issue once a month and never take my complaints up with anyone that could actually do anything about it.

For some strange and inexplicable reason ... I will feel better yet nothing will actually ever be done to solve my issue.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.