Rumors of Trader Joe"s, Costco...

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Agree!

Agree again.

I would also add that it's been my experience that Costco employees are nicer and more helpful in general and the store brand (Kirkland) to be on par with, but less expensive...than many national brands.

Others experience(s) may differ.

Because the company culture values employees as an asset rather than an expense. Employee turnover is low because they are compensated fairly. Their attitudes are a reflection of this.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You see, I WAS right. Sooner or later it gets around to politics.

I have gone to both for a long time and the only person that I see regularly in either store is the check out person. It is self serve. Both places. I wouldn't know if they were nice or going to ax murderer classes. Oh and the folks who sell me the hot dogs and the yummy cold yogurt slurpies, I see them, but not long talks or anything. Once in awhile someone will help us unload some big ole something. We always thank them and they say you are welcome and return to the store.

To me it is money. Saving it and getting good value for it. I like Sam's Credit card. I like Costco's Furniture. I like meat at both places. Sam's is here, I'm good.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Default Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You see, I WAS right. Sooner or later it gets around to politics.

I have gone to both for a long time and the only person that I see regularly in either store is the check out person. It is self serve. Both places. I wouldn't know if they were nice or going to ax murderer classes. Oh and the folks who sell me the hot dogs and the yummy cold yogurt slurpies, I see them, but not long talks or anything. Once in awhile someone will help us unload some big ole something. We always thank them and they say you are welcome and return to the store.

To me it is money. Saving it and getting good value for it. I like Sam's Credit card. I like Costco's Furniture. I like meat at both places. Sam's is here, I'm good.
Since when does saying their employees are well compensated and turnover low become political?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
Since when does saying their employees are well compensated and turnover low become political?
I was wondering the same thing.

I also like Nordstom's for their exceptional customer service.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Where did you see that a new BJ's is being built? I couldn't find anything online about that. We joined BJ's when we lived in Mass. and have kept the membership. We go to the store in Clermont, or the one in Melbourne when we go over there to visit our son. We also belonged to Costco, for a year or two, when we lived in Mass., but we like BJ's better (just our opinion).
For what it's worth, I asked an associate at BJ's in Clermont about them coming to The Villages, and she told me that someone from corporate that was there told her they were doing traffic studies on Rt 44. Did not ask for her name or ID, just asked about TV. For me, it's: #1 Costco, #2 BJ's, #3 Sam's, with the latter 2 close. Bj's gets #2 because they have a good deli with excellent prices.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 PM

I have had memberships to both Costco and Sams for many years as they don't carry the same things and there is no conveniently located Costco to the Villages. In my experience the staff, the efficiency and service at Costco have been far superior. Also there are many items (more upscale) that are stocked at Costco that never appear at Sams.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Sage
Default I quickly scanned several articles Costco Vs. Sams.

The concensus of opinion is that Costco does score higher on customer service and Sam's is a little cheaper.

What I learned that I didn't know before is that Costco is placed closer to more wealthy Suburbs than Sams and they do carry more high end goods.

Here is a pretty good article about both;

Sam's Club vs. Costco Comparison | Cheapism

I am still happy. I tend to be happy. I like Sam's Nathan's Hot dog for a quick lunch when I am shopping and their Angus ground beef is excellent. I bought the things at Costco that I wanted last time I was there and they were bigger THINGS rather than day to day food.

I don't care what either pay their entry level employees. I believe that if you work hard enough you can climb any corporate ladder if you have common sense and the work ethic and don't abuse substances.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think the drive to Costco in altamonte springs is delightful. We go once a month. It is a pleasant ride on 44/441. We plan it around lunch so we can have the infamous hot dog and drink. There are brands we only find at Costco, not SAMs. The fish and meat IMHO are far superior at Costco. Just pack a cooler and go. When it's cooler you can do Costco and trader joes in one trip. Now that is heaven.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
I think the drive to Costco in altamonte springs is delightful. We go once a month. It is a pleasant ride on 44/441. We plan it around lunch so we can have the infamous hot dog and drink. There are brands we only find at Costco, not SAMs. The fish and meat IMHO are far superior at Costco. Just pack a cooler and go. When it's cooler you can do Costco and trader joes in one trip. Now that is heaven.
My wife and I bought a house in TV last year and hope to move there next year. We have a Costco very close by and shop there regularly. The wife also love some particular food items at Trader Joes. With neither in TV, we were planning on packing a cooler and heading for Orlando on a monthly basis and wondered if we were just being weird about these stores. Glad to see we're not alone in our thinking!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post

Because only a certain class of citizen thinks they are the only ones allowed to make a decent living. All others go suck an egg. Hence, the political.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
For what it's worth, I asked an associate at BJ's in Clermont about them coming to The Villages, and she told me that someone from corporate that was there told her they were doing traffic studies on Rt 44. Did not ask for her name or ID, just asked about TV. For me, it's: #1 Costco, #2 BJ's, #3 Sam's, with the latter 2 close. Bj's gets #2 because they have a good deli with excellent prices.
"I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was!" Toby Keith

So true, great song.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Default Not Necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTennismom0202 View Post
Think of the population base needed to sustain a store the size of Costco. These Costco cities have a million or more people. It's not feasible that they will come to a community of 120,000 seniors (in high season). And most of us don't buy in the quantities they provide nor do we have the storage for it. My husband and I go to Costco in either Orlando or Tampa Bay almost every month because we love their products. We time our airplane travel around it, and some of our health care visits.
There is a very successful Costco in East Peoria IL. Th whole MSA in Central IL is only a little over 385,000 residents.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While a huge Costco fan, I've never considered using their travel service.

After reading this, I will at least take a look at them next time.

Costco Travel is my new go-to for booking vacations - Business Insider

Quote:
Quote:
"You can buy a vacation through Costco?" I was asked at least a dozen times in recent months.

My answer: yes, and it's incredible.

I only became aware of Costco's travel deals in May, when a friend suggested checking out the warehouse store's website while planning an upcoming vacation. I was amazed by the variety of options, from airfare and hotel deals in Europe to Caribbean cruises. Costco even has a section dedicated to safaris, with options in Botswana and South Africa.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Sage

Bonanza?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
My wife and I bought a house in TV last year and hope to move there next year. We have a Costco very close by and shop there regularly. The wife also love some particular food items at Trader Joes. With neither in TV, we were planning on packing a cooler and heading for Orlando on a monthly basis and wondered if we were just being weird about these stores. Glad to see we're not alone in our thinking!
When we lived on Maui, a trip to the "mother ship" AKA COSTCO, took an hour there and an hour back. We'd pack the cooler and make a day trip out of it. Maui has a population of only 155,000 but most of the residents tended to be at COSTCO whatever day we chose to go.

Tags
costco, greatest, largest, thursday, orlando

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.