Safety Issue with above garage Access

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Default Safety Issue with above garage Access

Be informed, the frame and trim around the attic access was poorly attached and came down by simply using it for balance

I had taken a terrible fall while putting a few small suitcases in the storage area. I am generally cautious and work safely.

I had simply placed my hands on the frame and trim to better balance and the entire unit both frame and trim came down. Thankfully no broken bones however many bruises scrapes, cuts and an extremely sore shoulder.

I have 30 years experience in the development and construction field and have never seen such poor and unsafe carpentry work. Note my home has metal structural framing and just a few braids where attached to the drywall no screws or bolts tieing it to the metal frame.

]Please check this installation prior to placing any weight on it.

I will call TV development office to bring this to their attentions. Someone took a obvious short cut and created an unsafe installation.

Be safe
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKosmo View Post
Be informed, the frame and trim around the attic access was poorly attached and came down by simply using it for balance

I had taken a terrible fall while putting a few small suitcases in the storage area. I am generally cautious and work safely.

I had simply placed my hands on the frame and trim to better balance and the entire unit both frame and trim came down. Thankfully no broken bones however many bruises scrapes, cuts and an extremely sore shoulder.

I have 30 years experience in the development and construction field and have never seen such poor and unsafe carpentry work. Note my home has metal structural framing and just a few braids where attached to the drywall no screws or bolts tieing it to the metal frame.

]Please check this installation prior to placing any weight on it.

I will call TV development office to bring this to their attentions. Someone took a obvious short cut and created an unsafe installation.

Be safe
Check with the warranty office...................
Old 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you for the PSA warning. Glad you are ok, considering.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Platinum member

Was this new construction or a resale because TV doesn't normally include pull-down stairs to the attic? The frame for the stairs is screwed to the side of the 2x4's in the attic that are part of the ceiling and roofing truss rafters. So it would appear to be the fault of the after-market pull-down stairs installer rather than a home warranty issue. I was surprised that they didn't use shims when they installed our pull down stairs in the garage because you run the risk of pulling the frame out of square. In stead there's a slight gap between the frame and the rafters but the frame appears to be well secured. So they definitely do cut corners in FL.

Last edited by REDCART; 09-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
Was this new construction or a resale because TV doesn't normally include pull-down stairs to the attic? The frame for the stairs is screwed to the side of the 2x4's in the attic that are part of the ceiling and roofing truss rafters. So it would appear to be the fault of the after-market pull-down stairs installer rather than a home warranty issue. I was surprised that they didn't use shims when they installed our pull down stairs in the garage because you run the risk of pulling the frame out of square. In stead there's a slight gap between the frame and the rafters but the frame appears to be well secured. So they definitely do cut corners in FL.

I doubt it had the stairs. My CYV don't have stairs and the trim was eye candy around the rectangular entry point installed with trim finishing nail gun. Some didn't even get through the dry wall and verily held up the cover due to the cover resting on it. I added some two inch screws that reached the framing.
Closed Thread

Tags
frame, trim, metal, balance, development

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.