Scary Thought

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
This is probably a lot like the conversation that was had when them horseless carriages came out.
Also a lot like chariots, horses, wagons, carts, trains, planes. "It was the mistake/fault of the other [fill in blank]."

I am reminded of a true court case where a lady was being sued for driving her car into a tree; her defense was that the tree ran into her.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Just imagining what it will be like when the Google no-driver cars first appear in The Villages. I would probably get out my portable chairs and park myself within view of some of our most traveled round-a-bouts (ROB) and watch the action. You can program these cars to "do the right thing" when traveling the ROBs, but being a Village resident for 11 years I see what happens every day and it is never consistent, no matter what the rules dictate. Possibly a new business opportunity, round-a-bout only vehicle insurance? Scary but these cars are coming sooner than later.
GIGO---Garbage in, garbage out
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Certainly will cut down on road rage incidents.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I never felt comfortable using my speed control much less surrendering myself to a computer. But my interest is not in self-driving cars but the legal law/ liability cases that will grow all around them resulting from accidents. finger pointing is going to go from the auto manufacturer, vendors, distributors, suppliers car owners and anyone even remotely in sight.

Recall what it cost Audi and Toyota to defend themselves against "sudden acceleration in terms of liability, defense loss of business, etc

I have been driving for over a half century and about a year ago exiting a Publix lot experienced "sudden acceleration" and for a brief second I wondered why the mechanic of my car failed until it became clear that my foot was resting on both the accelerator and brake.

My guess is that is exactly what happened with Audi Toyota drivers but when a lawsuit entails well ............So many a driver is in for the ride of his/her life with self driving vehicles literally and figuratively speaking
My 1991 Jeep Comanche was the subject of an accelerator position sensor recall.
Twice, while coming into a toll booth, the acceleration was so strong that I had to jam hard on the brake peddle, shift into neutral, turn off the car and restart it.
The device that tells the engine how far the accelerator pedal is depressed was subject to failure. I'd like to know how a self driving car would handle that.
Not to mention the anti-lock brakes on some of the Cherokee models that put the vehicle into a spin if one tire was on ice and the other on dry pavement.
Don't forget the Chrysler 2015 recall for 1.4 million vehicles after a pair of hackers demonstrated to WIRED that they could remotely hijack a Jeep’s digital systems over the Internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, scary, day, village, robs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.