Scary Thought

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Gold member
Default Scary Thought

Just imagining what it will be like when the Google no-driver cars first appear in The Villages. I would probably get out my portable chairs and park myself within view of some of our most traveled round-a-bouts (ROB) and watch the action. You can program these cars to "do the right thing" when traveling the ROBs, but being a Village resident for 11 years I see what happens every day and it is never consistent, no matter what the rules dictate. Possibly a new business opportunity, round-a-bout only vehicle insurance? Scary but these cars are coming sooner than later.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Platinum member

yes, it will be scary when there's a mix of driverless and driver operated cars. from what I read, the no-driver cars do everything correctly but they don't account for the mistakes of other cars. the real freedom will come when it's all driverless cars. Frankly, I look forward to it. I don't like to drive so if a car can do it better, so be it.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Platinum member

Our son lives in Los Altos Hills CA and has a Tesla X (I think that's the model) which has the self driving feature. He was at the wheel, but the car was in self-drive mode and it was a bit unnerving at first but it did well on the interstate and in San Francisco city driving. I did wonder how it would do in our round-a-bouts and don't think I want to experience it.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I never felt comfortable using my speed control much less surrendering myself to a computer. But my interest is not in self-driving cars but the legal law/ liability cases that will grow all around them resulting from accidents. finger pointing is going to go from the auto manufacturer, vendors, distributors, suppliers car owners and anyone even remotely in sight.

Recall what it cost Audi and Toyota to defend themselves against "sudden acceleration in terms of liability, defense loss of business, etc

I have been driving for over a half century and about a year ago exiting a Publix lot experienced "sudden acceleration" and for a brief second I wondered why the mechanic of my car failed until it became clear that my foot was resting on both the accelerator and brake.

My guess is that is exactly what happened with Audi Toyota drivers but when a lawsuit entails well ............So many a driver is in for the ride of his/her life with self driving vehicles literally and figuratively speaking
Old 01-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Platinum member

This is probably a lot like the conversation that was had when them horseless carriages came out.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

In my recent visit back to Los Altos I saw a few self driving vehicles and I'm hoping they get to the Villages soon. I believe in the technology, and believe it will be really helpful for an aging population. There are lots of people here that can't drive themselves, yet still have appointments and such. Self driving cars would enable them to keep their independence.

I've worked in Silicon Valley with brilliant minds from all over the world. I have no doubt there are engineers who are quite familiar with traffic circles, and have built their complexities into the software. There are even a few traffic circles in their beta testing area, with equally confused drivers, and the cars have been able to traverse them without issues.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Platinum member

my Subaru has adaptive cruise control. used it to drive to Tampa on I-75 then 275. I just set the speed limit and the distance I want to maintain to car in front of me and my car adjusts. I loved it.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Platinum member

It could be fun in our round-abouts. Kinda like bumper cars at the fair.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

With tens of thousands people dying in car crashes each year, and with over 1 million miles Google cars have traveled with no accidents (except when a person took control), I'll trust Google.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
my Subaru has adaptive cruise control. used it to drive to Tampa on I-75 then 275. I just set the speed limit and the distance I want to maintain to car in front of me and my car adjusts. I loved it.
I love cruise control. I use it anytime I'm going over 25 mph.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

If the Russians can hack into one of our political parties who's going to protect us from hacking of the self driver software.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If the Russians can hack into one of our political parties who's going to protect us from hacking of the self driver software.
That's actually a very good question.

Unlike hacked e-mails, a mass hacking of operating vehicles...could be catastrophic.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM
Sage

Listen, My car has adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, etc-I have driven hundreds of miles without having to touch the brake or gas pedal-- its smarter & more responsive than any driver on the road.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

Heck, I would just settle for more UBER drivers
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM

In my opinion there is not much difference between the driverless cars and what we have driving in The Villages today. Many of the people behind the wheel act like there is no one behind the wheel making decisions. Many act like the round abouts are their own private driveways and they don't need to pay attention to what they are doing
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, scary, day, village, robs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.