Screen doors on garage

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Gold member
Default Screen doors on garage

Who has had these doors installed on there garage ? Did you install the overhead kind or the sliding kind ? Do you think they were worth it? Was it very expensive? I have been reading the posts on the hot garages and what people were doing to try to cool them a bit. I thought screens might be another way. Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

Hey, Tommy,

I am not in TV. If no one gives answers, you can always scroll to the top and hit search. I know there have been other threads on this topic.

Have a good day.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Gold member

We have the slider kind we purchased around 6 years ago. It was a little over $500 for a 1 1/2 car garage.
Like that you only have to slide one panel over to go in and out of the garage.
Lets in the breeze but keeps out the geckos, snakes, love bugs, etc.
In the early spring and late fall it's nice to leave the the interior garage door open and sliding glass doors so you get a nice breeze flowing through the house.

Last edited by obxgal; 06-14-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added garage door size
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Wouldn't be without an overhead screen door. Besides providing for a cooler garage it allows me to work in the garage, providing reasonable daylight and without flying insects. The privacy screen materal does a pretty good job of keeping your garage contents private from prying eyes.
The worst thing about the sliders is that you always have to move them when you want to use them and they always seem to be on the wrong side, so you have to hop in and out of your car to push them to the proper opening. Also, for some reason , over the years I have had several neighbors back into sliders, but never an overhead. Sliders are always more or less blocking half of the garage opening.
I thing the overhead screen is well worth the extra money.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Wouldn't be without an overhead screen door. Besides providing for a cooler garage it allows me to work in the garage, providing reasonable daylight and without flying insects. The privacy screen materal does a pretty good job of keeping your garage contents private from prying eyes.
The worst thing about the sliders is that you always have to move them when you want to use them and they always seem to be on the wrong side, so you have to hop in and out of your car to push them to the proper opening. Also, for some reason , over the years I have had several neighbors back into sliders, but never an overhead. Sliders are always more or less blocking half of the garage opening.
I thing the overhead screen is well worth the extra money.
Cost is approx. 2400 for the 18 ft door.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold member

We had the slidind style installed 12 yrs ago and feel it was a great investment. We prefer this style versus the overhead for many reasons but most importantly if there is a power outage the overhead does not operate. We are constantly going in & out our garage and for us it is handier to just slide a panel open. Love the privacy, protection from flyers or crawlers and it also helps to reduce the glaring sun & heat.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
We have the slider kind we purchased around 6 years ago. It was a little over $500 for a 1 1/2 car garage.
Like that you only have to slide one panel over to go in and out of the garage.
Lets in the breeze but keeps out the geckos, snakes, love bugs, etc.
In the early spring and late fall it's nice to leave the the interior garage door open and sliding glass doors so you get a nice breeze flowing through the house.
We enjoy our sliders. When they are closed one cannot see inside unless the garage light is on!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

We don't have any screens on our garage, but our neighbor has a unique one called Thumper that he loves. Rather than my describing it, just check it out on their website: Thumper's Retractable Screen Doors
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

We moved here in 2007---first thing we did was gutters on house and screened slider doors on garage. We like the sliders better -- haven't backed into them yet. We go in and out dozens of times a day and it is just easier for us. Southern Metals installed at cost 780.00--two car garage.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
We don't have any screens on our garage, but our neighbor has a unique one called Thumper that he loves. Rather than my describing it, just check it out on their website: Thumper's Retractable Screen Doors
Thumper installed ours. A good investment...
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

we have an overhead sreen from a company called "Skeeter Beeter".

They have a unique design in how the screen is attached allowing the screen to break away without damaging the components should some one back through it.

And yes it happens much more than most would admit. Putting the screen back in it's track is easy to do.

$2700 for standard two car garage opening.

There are many things I would go without before ever giving up the garage screen. It can not be beat for keeping the garage cooler on the beastly hot summer days. And it is a delight to "open" the house the rest of the year.

btk

PS I looked at both slider and overhead......chose overhead even though more expensive.....to me the overhead is much more functional and convenient.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The garage door screen is a complete necessity, especially if your W/D are in the garage such as ours. The cost is not that much, for our 12' CYV door it was $850 installed in 2012.

The first year we didn't have the screen, we just left the door open. Then a neighbor found a rattlesnake in his garage, and gators have been seen on the streets just outside our villas, my next step was having the screen installed.

The Villages Florida

/
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Wink Sliders vs overhead screens

We bought the sliders 9 years ago when we first moved in. I don't remember if the overhead were available then, but now I would definitely put in the overhead. The sliders are a bust! Always sticking and always in the way!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Default Thumper's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
We have a Thumper retractable screen in our Begonia now, and we will be installing two Thumper screens (both doors) in our new Gardenia after we close on July 1. It has worked flawlessly since installation and we use it far more than our solid door.

Matt

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Old 06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24

We had sliders installed in 2011 and have had no issues with them. When you want to leave the garage, you simply slide them to one side and leave them that way until you retun. No need to slide them back because your garage door is down. They are great during warm weather as they allow the air in the garage to circulate. I would suggest them for everyone. Justin with JUST-IN-TIME out of Belleview did ours and did an outstanding job! Make sure you get the shaded version that allows you to look outside but no one to see in unless it's dark and you have your lights on. Cost was approx $780.. Call Justin, you can reach him at 352-307-9061.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.