» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Screen doors on garage
Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Gold member

Default Screen doors on garage

Who has had these doors installed on there garage ? Did you install the overhead kind or the sliding kind ? Do you think they were worth it? Was it very expensive? I have been reading the posts on the hot garages and what people were doing to try to cool them a bit. I thought screens might be another way. Thanks

Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

Hey, Tommy,

I am not in TV. If no one gives answers, you can always scroll to the top and hit search. I know there have been other threads on this topic.

Have a good day.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

We have the slider kind we purchased around 6 years ago. It was a little over $500 for a 1 1/2 car garage.
Like that you only have to slide one panel over to go in and out of the garage.
Lets in the breeze but keeps out the geckos, snakes, love bugs, etc.
In the early spring and late fall it's nice to leave the the interior garage door open and sliding glass doors so you get a nice breeze flowing through the house.

North of Pgh Pa, Kitty Hawk NC, The Villages.

Last edited by obxgal; 06-14-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added garage door size
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Wouldn't be without an overhead screen door. Besides providing for a cooler garage it allows me to work in the garage, providing reasonable daylight and without flying insects. The privacy screen materal does a pretty good job of keeping your garage contents private from prying eyes.
The worst thing about the sliders is that you always have to move them when you want to use them and they always seem to be on the wrong side, so you have to hop in and out of your car to push them to the proper opening. Also, for some reason , over the years I have had several neighbors back into sliders, but never an overhead. Sliders are always more or less blocking half of the garage opening.
I thing the overhead screen is well worth the extra money.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Wouldn't be without an overhead screen door. Besides providing for a cooler garage it allows me to work in the garage, providing reasonable daylight and without flying insects. The privacy screen materal does a pretty good job of keeping your garage contents private from prying eyes.
The worst thing about the sliders is that you always have to move them when you want to use them and they always seem to be on the wrong side, so you have to hop in and out of your car to push them to the proper opening. Also, for some reason , over the years I have had several neighbors back into sliders, but never an overhead. Sliders are always more or less blocking half of the garage opening.
I thing the overhead screen is well worth the extra money.
Cost is approx. 2400 for the 18 ft door.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran member

We had the slidind style installed 12 yrs ago and feel it was a great investment. We prefer this style versus the overhead for many reasons but most importantly if there is a power outage the overhead does not operate. We are constantly going in & out our garage and for us it is handier to just slide a panel open. Love the privacy, protection from flyers or crawlers and it also helps to reduce the glaring sun & heat.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
We have the slider kind we purchased around 6 years ago. It was a little over $500 for a 1 1/2 car garage.
Like that you only have to slide one panel over to go in and out of the garage.
Lets in the breeze but keeps out the geckos, snakes, love bugs, etc.
In the early spring and late fall it's nice to leave the the interior garage door open and sliding glass doors so you get a nice breeze flowing through the house.
We enjoy our sliders. When they are closed one cannot see inside unless the garage light is on!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Sage

Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

We don't have any screens on our garage, but our neighbor has a unique one called Thumper that he loves. Rather than my describing it, just check it out on their website: Thumper's Retractable Screen Doors
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

We moved here in 2007---first thing we did was gutters on house and screened slider doors on garage. We like the sliders better -- haven't backed into them yet. We go in and out dozens of times a day and it is just easier for us. Southern Metals installed at cost 780.00--two car garage.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
We don't have any screens on our garage, but our neighbor has a unique one called Thumper that he loves. Rather than my describing it, just check it out on their website: Thumper's Retractable Screen Doors
Thumper installed ours. A good investment...