Seat belts on a golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Gold member
Default Seat belts on a golf cart

I am seeking feed back on retractable versus non retractable golf cart seat belts. If you have them on your golf cart, do you like them? Any negatives etc ?? Were the belts installed locally ???
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I am seeking feed back on retractable versus non retractable golf cart seat belts. If you have them on your golf cart, do you like them? Any negatives etc ?? Were the belts installed locally ???

I had my seat belts installed by TV Golf Cart Store. $29 per set X 2. They are not retractable but we have been very pleased. The only drawback is that you must remember to keep them from flailing around by fastening them even if they are not bring used.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Sage

I installed the retractable and feel they pare thes best option. I can help with install.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
no way would I wear seatbelts on a golf cart that doesn't have roll bars installed.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage

We'd say retractable. Just like a car, they're out of the way when not fastened.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Had ours installed last Friday and they are retractable. AAA Golf Carts (Summerfield) came to the house. With renters using the cart, we didn't want the seat belts flapping around if they didn't use them.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Sage

I installed non-retractable belts myself. No big deal, just bolt them on in a Yamaha. The mounting holes are already there. The price for retractable was out of line as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Gold member

I installed retractable for $60.
Not having to deal with four belts, when lowering the seat, was worth the extra $30.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We put in non retractable 2 years ago and rarely use them. If you golf they are in the way..fall down on the tires. ... One person in the cart and the other belt flops around. My husband finally tucked them under the seat and we never use them. We are going to take them out and get retractable.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
no way would I wear seatbelts on a golf cart that doesn't have roll bars installed.
I believe that every single golf cart injury or death that I have read about in the last 3 years has resulted from an ejection from the cart. I don't recall any incidence of someone being injured due to a rollover accident where the roof was crushed in. I assume that's why you say that.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 PM

We had non-retractable fitted 2 yrs ago by TV Golf Cars. When not in use just fasten them and hang over backs of seats, no problems.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:18 PM

We just had retractable seat belts installed two weeks ago - love them! We'll take our chances rolling with the cart rather than being ejected onto the concrete.

Todd Casey (Golf Cart Repairs, LLC) installed them - 352-465-3934.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorasBetty View Post
We just had retractable seat belts installed two weeks ago - love them! We'll take our chances rolling with the cart rather than being ejected onto the concrete.

Todd Casey (Golf Cart Repairs, LLC) installed them - 352-465-3934.
I could not agree more--both with the use of seat belts and with Todd Casey!!! I've seen golf carts on their sides but NEVER upside down. I cannot even imagine how a golf cart could end up upside down. The thought of being ejected onto the pavement or a curb is horrifying; I would not dream of getting into my golf cart without fastening the seat belt....

I've had both retractable and non-retractable. Naturally the latter are cheaper, and I did once have a problem with the passenger belt slipping off the seat and getting caught under the wheel. I now have retractable. IMHO, it's whatever you're comfortable with, as long as you use them!

Last edited by twinklesweep; 04-24-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Adding last paragraph.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Platinum member

I ordered retractable belts with mounting bar from Amazon a little over a year ago. Installed them myself and we always use them when out in traffic. The main problem I will have to say with the retractable is the same as it is with cars. You have to make sure the belt doesn't get twisted before you let it retract. Still, we wouldn't have it any other way.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
I could not agree more--both with the use of seat belts and with Todd Casey!!! I've seen golf carts on their sides but NEVER upside down. I cannot even imagine how a golf cart could end up upside down. The thought of being ejected onto the pavement or a curb is horrifying; I would not dream of getting into my golf cart without fastening the seat belt....

I've had both retractable and non-retractable. Naturally the latter are cheaper, and I did once have a problem with the passenger belt slipping off the seat and getting caught under the wheel. I now have retractable. IMHO, it's whatever you're comfortable with, as long as you use them!
it's a simple compromise to not wear seat belts while golfing (where most rollovers occur) and do wear them when you are a mass of 100-300lbs being propelled on a platform at 20mph and that platform comes to an abrupt halt..the body mass continues at 20mph....it's gonna hurt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.