Select comfort sleep number beds

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Question Select comfort sleep number beds

My bride and I have finally purchased a lot in the villages and will be moving as soon as the house here in WI sells. Now the neighbors are trying to scare us into staying here. One of the comments made was that the Select comfort beds can't be utilized in Florida because of the humidity which then encourages mold in the air chambers of the bed. Sounds a little like BS to me considering if it is that hot and humid we would be using the air conditioning and therefore eliminating the humidity in the house. But..........we prefer to rely on the wisdom of current TV residents for the truth of the matter.

Along with the mold issue there were comments about 'snakes in the grass' and a mention that black widow spiders love to inhabit the lawn/lanai furniture. I'm OK with snakes but spiders scare the bejeezzus out of me.

None of this will keep us from moving, can't wait to be frogs!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Sage

Lots of people have Sleep Number beds here...I have friends that love their beds. It's humid outside, but considerably less humid in our part of Florida than in the more southern locales. Homes are air conditioned and mold shouldn't be an issue unless you don't run it in the summer....as it would be in any other location that has humidity in the summer, be that in the north, east or middle of the country. I'm from the west and it's hot, but not very humid.

Spiders...well, we had black widow spiders in CA...darn things were annoying that's for sure. Haven't seen one here yet and that could be because of the pest control service we use and all the little anoles that consider my lanai their home... Love those little beasties, they love to eat insects.

Every location in the US has some sort of "critter" that can be annoying, or scare us. We do adjust to them, though for some it could take a little bit, but we do adjust and learn to live with and among the creatures, large and small, that share The Villages with us.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum member

We have a sleep number that we LOVE and have seen NO mold, NO spiders and a cute, non poisonous, black snake! We have seen a number of lizards and a few cockroaches but NOTHING significant enough to deter us from this piece of Paradise! Your friends and neighbors just do not understand if they haven't been here! Come on down!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Gold member
Default Huh!!

Only if you filled it in the garage with moisture laden hot humid air.

Don't they have a fungicide that can be sprayed in the inner chamber before filling?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Default Mold on Sleep Number Air Chambers

Sleep Number has had a problem with mold developing on the air chambers in the older models. I have had 2 air chambers replaced by the company at no charge because of the mold...most recently this past summer in Massachusetts. They have since altered the material they use to make the air chamber which presumably inhibits mold growth. I would suggest that if you have a Sleep Number bed, that it would be wise to periodically unzip the mattress and check inside.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 AM

Who sells sleep number beds in or near The Villages?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Sage

I don't know about sleep number beds but would say if you keep your humidity down you should be fine. As far as the spiders and snakes, we've been here 5 years and I am as big of a fraidy cat as they come and haven't been scared out of my wits yet. Haven't seen a snake or a black widow. We do have a pest control company and I would recommend that you contract with one. The only pests we have here so far are tiny ants that are controlled with a 3 month treatment. Your friends sound like they don't want you to leave for themselves as they will miss you. Once you get here they will probably be down here to visit quite often if they are like our friends and family up north.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM

You also have humidity in Wisconsin. Except it's solid. Believe it's called 'snow'.

I don't worry about the snakes or spiders. The gators keep them under control.

Ask your neighbors if they will be playing some water volleyball today. I will be.

Come on down. Have some fun.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM

I have been here since May and found the humidity to lower than in NC where we came from. I think your friends are pulling your leg.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

I currently nave 4 sleep number beds here and no problems! The humidity has not been a factor and all is well. Come on down and enjoy!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cngraham View Post
Who sells sleep number beds in or near The Villages?
Several stores in the Orlando area. One in Gainesville. One in Wesley Chapel (NE of Tampa).

Here's their store search page. Enter your search criteria for store locations/details:

Sleep Number Store Locator

Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAXE View Post
My bride and I have finally purchased a lot in the villages and will be moving as soon as the house here in WI sells. Now the neighbors are trying to scare us into staying here. One of the comments made was that the Select comfort beds can't be utilized in Florida because of the humidity which then encourages mold in the air chambers of the bed. Sounds a little like BS to me considering if it is that hot and humid we would be using the air conditioning and therefore eliminating the humidity in the house. But..........we prefer to rely on the wisdom of current TV residents for the truth of the matter.

Along with the mold issue there were comments about 'snakes in the grass' and a mention that black widow spiders love to inhabit the lawn/lanai furniture. I'm OK with snakes but spiders scare the bejeezzus out of me.

None of this will keep us from moving, can't wait to be frogs!!!!!!!!
We've got two Sleep Number beds in our home and have had no such problem. Not even a hint!

Think about it. If that were a problem, how could Sleep Number maintain more than two dozen successful stores in Florida?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.