Pickle ball courts

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Default Pickle ball courts

I would like to hear from anyone who finds it disturbing living near a pickle ball court. My husband and I plan on moving down this month and this was one of the things we were warned about. Is it that bad or should we steer far away?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Default A non Issue

We back up to Captiva. There are 6 pickleball courts across the parking lot. IT IS A NON ISSUE for us. We had the same concern and knocked on the doors of about 10 houses that backed up to a Rec. Ctr. They all told us it is a non issue. We hear pickleball at Colony ( 1 mile away) more than the one in our back yard. I think netting pushes the sound up. Everybody is different. If you see a house you are interested in, sit in front of it, in the morning when most pickleball is played and listen for yourself.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We lived right next to the Odell Rec Center and loved it. Pool was just "out back".

The pickle ball courts didn't bother us AT ALL.

We moved for more space as we were making The Villages our year 'round home.

No one in our line of homes ever mentioned the pop pop sound bothered them in the early mornings. The homes are very sound proof. But if you think the noise would bother you, choose somewhere else. It was really handy living close to rec center for exercise class and gatherings and taking the grands to the pool and shuffleboard etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We lived right next to the Odell Rec Center and loved it. Pool was just "out back".

The pickle ball courts didn't bother us AT ALL.

We moved for more space as we were making The Villages our year 'round home.

No one in our line of homes ever mentioned the pop pop sound bothered them in the early mornings. The homes are very sound proof. But if you think the noise would bother you, choose somewhere else. It was really handy living close to rec center for exercise class and gatherings and taking the grands to the pool and shuffleboard etc.
I live very close to Cane Gardens and can hear the sound clearly but it doesn't bother me at all. I don't think the homes are very soundproof as Gracie said. most of us are used to 2X6 exterior walls, down here the walls are 2X4.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I cat sit for a kitty that requires I spend the night. They live right next to the pickleball courts. The first two days drive me up the wall -- I hear every hit and it reverbates in my head. By the third day, they are a background noise -- I hear them but they're no more annoying than traffic noise. By day five, I rarely hear them at all.

Now, I'm very noise sensitive, so it probably bothers me more than many (even fountains irritate my ears and you should see me if there is a drip in the house). But the pickleball noise is a sound that does seem to fade away over time. Some of your visitors might be bothered but they'll be leaving soon and the noise will just end being a sound to them before they leave.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I live close to Sterling Heights, not an issue here either.
Every homesite can have its own issues. If you live on a golf course, there is the mowing and golfers talking, if you back up to a road, there is traffic noise, if you back up to another home, there is hearing your neighbors on their lanai.
It all depends which noise will bother you the most.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I live close to Sterling Heights, not an issue here either.
Every homesite can have its own issues. If you live on a golf course, there is the mowing and golfers talking, if you back up to a road, there is traffic noise, if you back up to another home, there is hearing your neighbors on their lanai.
It all depends which noise will bother you the most.
Well, your point is well taken. "Relativity" rules, I guess.

Gene
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
I would like to hear from anyone who finds it disturbing living near a pickle ball court. My husband and I plan on moving down this month and this was one of the things we were warned about. Is it that bad or should we steer far away?
I would RUN FAST. Unless you are from upper east coast where noise is normal, the pinging hour after hour gets annoying. Of course you could stay in the house all day, keep the doors and windows shut.
Then you have to think about RESALE. You are even questioning this decision.
I think a person would loose 8 out of 10 buyers over this issue.

When in doubt; don't.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
We live across the street from Mulberry Rec Center. They have several pickleball courts there. I agree with previous posters, the sound is a non-issue. In a really short time you just seem to not hear it anymore. When you do hear it, I like the pleasant "pok pok" sound the balls make. Not to worry!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Pickle Ball

We close on our house 5 days from today and we're very close to Bradenton Rec center in Fernandina. I warned my wife when we looked at the property back in April about the noise she could be hearing. She is a light sleeper and she certainly will not get up at the crack of dawn as I'm sure most Picklers ( is that the term) do to play early.

Didn't phase her in the least and I'm sure we'll get used to it.
Now I'm a golfer and I plan on getting up early as often as I can! Doubt if I'll be a Pickler but we'll see.

By the way, there are three beautifull available lots next door to us that backup up to Pinellas.

They are in 208

Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Gold member

Pickleball noise is a non issue like someone already said! And besides you'll probably become pickleball players ! Heck, we can sometimes even hear the train on a still day or night and we live near Mira Mesa ! All the sounds are usually of an exciting life going on outside in your neighborhood.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I cat sit for a kitty that requires I spend the night. They live right next to the pickleball courts. The first two days drive me up the wall -- I hear every hit and it reverbates in my head. By the third day, they are a background noise -- I hear them but they're no more annoying than traffic noise. By day five, I rarely hear them at all.

Now, I'm very noise sensitive, so it probably bothers me more than many (even fountains irritate my ears and you should see me if there is a drip in the house). But the pickleball noise is a sound that does seem to fade away over time. Some of your visitors might be bothered but they'll be leaving soon and the noise will just end being a sound to them before they leave.
Are you saying the next house you buy will be next to a pickleball court now?
There are so many houses for sale that are not close to the rec. centers. Why would you?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM

We lived across the street from pickle ball courts and it drove us crazy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.