Selling our water supply

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Default Selling our water supply

Is there an organized movement in the Villages? Who is the POC? Is there a petition to sign? I totally agree that we, including the Villages development, need to be good stewards of the environment. Not all of us can go to the hearings, etc.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
There is clarification required.
No One is selling the Water.
The permit being requested from the state is to drill a well in Sumter County into the upper aquifer of the Florida Aquifier that provides water used by residents of a number of Counties and communities including The Villages Development.

The amount of water being requested to be taken from the upper aquifer is an average of 496,000 gallons daily with a peak average in excess of more than 800,000 gallons daily.

The water will be trucked, over 80 truck loads of 8,000 gallons per truck, per day, to a bottling company located in Lake County. Unsure which bottling company, and sold nationally through a distribution network.

No evidence Sumter County will be or is entitled to be compensated in any way for this water.

This permit has not yet been granted to the the Ocala Company requesting the permit.

The are a number of questions and disturbing issues requiring further clarification from all parties involved, The State of Florida, Sumter County, The Bottlers and The Well drillers before this permit should be issued.

Unfortunately because the request is below 500,000 gallons per day NO public hearing is required or will be held prior to the granting of the permit.

Once the permit is issued, if it is issued anyone who feels they have the potential to be negatively impacted by the issuance of the permit may object to the permit. A hearing may then be held.

For more information if interested there are active groups involved in attempting to resolve this pending issue

You seem to be very knowledgable on the issue. Do you know if an Environmental Assessment or Environmental Impact Statement is required and/submitted.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Default Input without having to attend public meeting

I just got off the phone with Danielle Sailler (813-985-7481 X 4355) at the Southwest Florida Water Management District, the office handling permitting for the Fern Spring Project, Water Use Permit (WUP) Application No. 20020576.000. This is the project for the company, Spring Water Resources, applying to pump and bottle water from Belton's Millpond in Sumter Co.

Danielle says it is not necessary to attend the public hearing to have your input taken into account. The public meeting is being provided as one of several ways for the public to provide input. She said the decision on the permit will not be rendered on the day of the hearing (5/4/16 at 9a).

Danielle says if you want your comments to be recorded it is just as effective to submit them via email to Darrin Herbst, WUP Bureau Chief. It is very important to include the name of the project (Fern Spring) and especially the WUP application number (20020576.000) in your correspondence: Mr. Herbst's email is:

darrin.herbst@watermatters.org

Your input will get attention. When I called Danielle she knew me by name and acknowledged that I had already exchanged 2 communications with her office. She is very nice to talk with.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 PM

Does any one know the politics, or procedures to who and how this system of government process works?? I agree this is not a good move in anyones longer term intrest
Old 05-02-2016, 04:53 PM

thank u mr darcy Nice to see some one thinking
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debow View Post
You seem to be very knowledgable on the issue. Do you know if an Environmental Assessment or Environmental Impact Statement is required and/submitted.
The answer to your question is NO
Neither are required nor have been provided.
No studies of 20 year i,pact on the water supply based on growth projections
are required or provided. YOu may call me at 352 350 2477
Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Your post has nothing to do with the real issue. Of course the water will be sold to any wholesaler who will buy it. This company has no true consideration for we residents. Your numbers regarding Florida mean nothing to me. The water removal request will be from two Springs in Sumter county and will have an effect on Sumter residents, NOT the State of Florida !!!
At the rate TV is expanding, in 20 months there will be another 10,000 TV residents (5,000 new homes). Their water usage will be at least 500,000 gallons per day. It adds up. And this is just for TV. There are many more developments in Central Fl.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:37 AM
Location: Village of Buttonwood, original town Hubbard, OH (suburb of Youngstown)

I got an email from a neighbor and got to work and wrote an email to Darrin Herbst, Dave Kramer, Michelle Hopkins and Danielle Sailler. All of the addresses are similar, ex Darrin.Herbst@watermatters.org Please take the time to write a quick note to these folks. The Permit application is #20020576.000 and the project is Fern Spring / SWR Properties, LLC. The application has not turned into a permit yet. The following is an email that sparked me to write:

Date: May 17, 2016
Subject: New Permit to Pump Water from Fern Springs Could Effect Village Homes
Below are several contacts where we can send our concerns opposing the Ocala company from pumping water from the springs in Sumter county.
Please read. This has the potential of having a huge effect on The Villages.

Fern Spring Permit for 892,000 gallons of water per day!
Donald Brozick from Gilchrist West
UPDATE ON WATER PERMIT

Fern Spring
SWR Properties, LLC
Application # 200020576.000
Sumter County

There was a meeting on May 4th and a subsequent meeting coming up ( not sure the date yet). Not too late to voice your concerns.

The Spring Water Resources of Ocala is the company that has filed a permit application with the state Water Use Permit Bureau to pump water from Fern Spring and an unnamed spring east of CR 470 and north of U.S. 301 in Sumter County. The water would be sold to Azure Water of Leesburg, whose clients include Consolidated Water Group, Publix, Niagara Bottling Co., DS Water and Nestle Water. It has potential effect to our homes in The Villages ( water table, sink holes, etc). A pumping station, loading driveway and office building would be built on the 10.5-acre property, which is owned by Spring Water Resources.

On an average day, the well operation would operate 13.3 hours, filling 80 trucks with 6,200 gallons each. But during peak months, the well would operate 24 hours a day, pumping 892,000 gallons a day and filling 144 trucks, according to permit application documents. I understand that there is another meeting planned so it is important that you voice your concerns.

Feel free to communicate this around since the company is trying to take a low key approach on this and working to keep it under the radar screen before the residence can do anything about it. That is why the permit is for 892,000 and not 1,000,000 ( pretty sneaky since if it keeps a judge from reviewing the application). If you want to voice your objection, here is the information on how to voice your concerns. I am giving you several contacts to voice your opinion. May want to send one email and copy all on the contacts list below.

The more emails they get the more attention it gets.

See below on the information and who to contact.

Subject: NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING May 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM
Date: April 29, 2016 at 3:16:29 PM EDT

Notice of Public Meeting Pending Permit Applications
Tampa Service Office, 7601 US Highway 301 North, Tampa FL 33637-6759
NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING May 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM

To ensure that the public has an opportunity to provide in person input into the Districts permitting process, District staff holds monthly public meetings prior to making decisions on Individual water use and environmental resource permits. A meeting notice and agenda (including the date, time and location) are posted on the Districts web site prior to each meeting).

To comment in person, interested persons should attend the appropriate permitting public meeting when the permit application of interest is on the agenda. If you have submitted a comment via one of the written or electronic means listed below, you are not required to attend the meeting to have your comment considered prior to the permitting decision.

o Send comments via email to Michelle Hopkins, Michelle.Hopkins@watermatters.org ERP Bureau Chief; or
o Schedule an appointment to discuss your comments with Dave Kramer, Dave.Kramer@watermatters.org , ERP Evaluation Manager.
o Send comments via email to Darrin Herbst, Darrin.Herbst@watermatters.org WUP Bureau Chief; or
o Schedule an appointment to discuss your comments with Claire Muirhead, Claire.Muirhead@watermatters.org WUP Evaluation Manager.

NOTE: When sending comments via US mail or email, please clearly state in the subject line: "PUBLIC COMMENT FOR (APPLICATION # 200020576.000), (COUNTY Sumter )". This will ensure your comments are directed to the appropriate application reviewer as quickly as possible.

You can search for pending permits (by application number, project name, or by county) or sign up for electronic notification of applications received by visiting:ePermitting.

For questions concerning a particular permit or this process, please contact Danielle Sailler Danielle.Sailler@WaterMatters.org at (813) 985-7481 or (800) 423-1476 (FL Only), extension 4355. (Click on name to send questions via email.)

Thanks,
Justin J. Eddy
Regulatory Support Technician
Southwest Florida Water Management District
7601 Highway 301 North, Tampa, FL 33637
Phone: 813-985-7481 Ext 2097
Fax: 813-987-6467
Link to E-Permitting

Prior to hearing about who to contact, I sent an email to Danielle M Sailler ( see email address) and it was quite easy and received a confirmation that it was included rather quickly. With enough letters or emails, this will force a response an administrative hearing before a judge ( which is what the company is trying to avoid).

If you write a LETTER to:
Ralph Kerr, Sr Professional Geologist, 7601 US Highway 301 North,Tampa ,Fl 33637. Also Danielle Sailler,Manager:

Danielle M. Sailler
Manager, Regulatory Support
Regulatory Support Bureau
Southwest Florida Water Management District
7601 Highway 301 North
Tampa, FL 33637-6759
1-800-836-0797 (FL only) or 813-985-7481, ext. 4355
danielle.sailler@watermatters.org

Additionally, you can write letters to your county commissioners: Al Butler,
Doug Gilpin, Don Burgess, Garry Breeden, Don Hahnfeldttheir addresses are in the Villages phone book.

ePermitting
swfwmd.state.fl.us

I hope this helps you in prompting you to also write an email. Be sure to put in the subject line: PUBLIC COMMENT FOR (APPLICATION # 200020576.000), (COUNTY Sumter )
Old 05-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Gold member

(gasp!) I heard they are going to use florida air to drive energy producing windmills! don't let that wind pass out of florida!!
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
(gasp!) I heard they are going to use florida air to drive energy producing windmills! don't let that wind pass out of florida!!
The water issue is not something to make light of.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
really? do you know the extent (south carolina, georgia, florida, louisiana) of the aquifer being drawn from?? this isn't just local water it is a huge aquifer. it is a cervantian quest, and you're battling windmills, thus the reference.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
The response to my post is right to the point. This is the second day for my post and there has been only one response. Why are Villagers not up in arms about this?? It is a fact that an Ocala has requested from Sumter County officials permission to take up to nearly a million gallons of spring water from our aquifers. This water will be bottled and sold throughout the USA. What is it you don't understand ??? We need to be involved with the small groups that are fighting for you, let us give them some help.
Because it's a non-issue, maybe? Or, because most TVers know it's pretty much a done deal? Or, because most TVers know they, as a group, have done more to deplete "our" water supply than the next 15 water bottling companies combined?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I don't think looneycat was making fun of water issues; just illustrating the silliness of the "sky is falling" responses. Sounds like a global climate change rally.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
really? do you know the extent (south carolina, georgia, florida, louisiana) of the aquifer being drawn from?? this isn't just local water it is a huge aquifer. it is a cervantian quest, and you're battling windmills, thus the reference.
In two short posts, you've tried to educate those who think this water belongs to them.

I admire your attempt, but have this feeling it is for naught.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
It is when some folks show such ignorance, as to believe that this water belongs only to 'us.'

Particularly ironic, given that the growth of our little heaven has already had a huge negative impact on this water.

The old "I've got mine, go get yours somewhere else," seems to be the attitude of some.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, supply, bottle, villages, imposed, year, restrictions, plan, powers, approving, ample, ghost, town, night, sold, bottled, making, outrageous, low, company, petition, submitted, approval, private, concerned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.