Sex in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Default Re: Sex in the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmickey
Gee, some pretty unkind things being said about singles in TV...I'm going to have to rethink my plans. I was hoping TV was going to be a "live and let live" community.
Guess it's not. :'(

While I recognize there are some singles out there who make total fools of themselves, what have you got against singles wanting to find a relationship?

BestMickey, please don't worry about relocating to TV because you are single. All communities have their Desparate Annie's that give some people a chuckle to watch. If your looking for friendship all you need to do is be yourself and join whatever club that shares your interest and I'm sure you will meet plenty of nice people of both sexes. I don't believe anyone is against singles wanting to find a relationship because the majority of us here are married and already enjoy the companionship that some singles desire. It is just the bad publicity or rumors that have circulated in the media this past year. We don't need hookers, molestors or nudist giving TV a bad reputation. We moved here to spend the rest of our lives in a community like no other and a live and let live attitude will only play so far. There is such a thing as community standards and so far I have found TV residents that I have met to be mature and moral.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Veteran member

Uhhh....thanks Happy Villager, but your comments aren't convincing. Fess up...we're related, and you're just trying to get me to move there. I need to hear from others. With the comments made in this section, it appears that the couples of TV look down on singles. That being the case, it's not where I want to spend the rest of my years.

There are plenty of other places to live.

At this point, I'm reconsidering and will take the next year to search other alternatives.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

OH MY GOD!
"sex in the villages", this is too funny. Of course theres sex in the villages, after all welcome to the 21st century where 60 is now 30 something. Whats wrong with a single woman hittin on a (well he should be single) man?? This is a "friendly" "active" community, what would you expect? I'm sure we don't condone women or men "on the prowl" hittin on the married ones but hey it might be a wakeup call to the spouses who are slacking off on "the homework". I say more power to the lonely ones, there is a life in retirement, so go for it.
PS: Do you think I should open a safe sex/adult toy store?? nahhhhhhhhh OMG did I say that??
Handie (blushing)
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Well, Bestmickey, in my opinion, no matter where you move to, there will be people that look down on and criticize singles. That's not limited to TV. Unfortunately it seems that some marrieds may feel threatened by having singles around. I'm single and believe me I don't want to break up anyone's marriage, and do not want anyone who is in a relationship of any kind. TV is still a great place to be.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

Bestmickey, Please keep us all informed of your finding when looking for other places to live. There are other communities but do they offer all that TV does.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Platinum member

Bestmickey:
I'm inclined to agree with PJ. I moved here as a single (my wife had been gone five years at the time), with no qualms. I must admit that I still wear my wedding ring. I like to say it's protection, but truth be known, I can't get it off! ;D
Anyhow you look at it, this place suits singles very well. There are at least three singles groups I can think of, although I don't participate in any.
There is a story (probably a myth) I heard when I first thought of coming here. Seems a widower bought a nice house on a cul-de-sac without researching who his neighbors might be. When the casseroles and invitations to dinner soon overwhelmed him, he took to booking late afternoon tee times so he could sneak back into his house with being accosted. There were six widows on the street! ;D
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Bestmickey, I am NOT anti-singles, just the ones that make a nice restaurant a meat market!

The Villages is a great place to meet people. All you have to do is visit either of the town squares on any given night and you will meet great people, single and married who enjoy the live music and enjoy dancing or watching others dance.

I never could relate to the "meat market" mentality even when I was single. You will not find a better place to live and enjoy your life than you will here. There are many singles groups and they do fun things together. For the most part, people who retire to the Villages are very decent people. I don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch...sounds like a song.....come on down and enjoy yourself. The Villages is a wonderful place to LIVE and enjoy life. :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

I'm glad that you posted Frangy - I've been reading this thread and although I'm married, I agree with you, never had that mentality when I was single.

I have to say, after reading some of the postings about "sex in TV" and hearing that report on STD's, I was having second thoughts about coming to TV.

I was on another message board and posted a question about the cost of living in TV. The first response I got was from a person who stated that TV had the highest number of STD's. When I responded that I wasn't interested in that, was aware of it but it wasn't my question; the poster wrote....

"I would be very concerned about moving to a place whose claim to fame was the highest number of STD"s. Don't these old geezers know about condoms and I for one would never shake the hand of anyone who lived there"

I was about to leave that board when a very nice person wrote and suggested I come to Talk of the Villages for information on the life style. I'm glad I did! I have learned a lot and appreciate all the good advise.

I'm not a prude by any means but I consider myself a respectful married lady. I just can't decipher if this sex thing is out of control or it's just a few single people who haven't fully matured and think it's a way to have fun!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

The Villages is just like being back in College and that's the bottom line. There are around 65,000 people who live here (snowbirds included). It's a microcosm of America. Lots of advantages and few disadvantages.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Location: Most of time in IL but soon will be most in The Villages

Hi to all in TV and the others who are misinformed. This is all so entertaining to read! But please keep an open mind...sex happened with Adam and Eve, Cleopatra embraced it to a fault and it is still going strong. We all have a desire to be recognized, loved and companionship plays a big part. Where it leads from there is up to the individual. We all have will power and know how to advance or decline when 'things' reach
' new territory'. A great movie to watch is Boynton Beach Memoirs, which played at TV's theatre a while back. And remember, we are all humans with desires, feelings and emotions.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Reply to bestmickey. I agree with many of the comments. This is a great place to live, whether you are single or married. I am widowed and moved to TV over 5 years ago. There are so many things to do (clubs, events, Life Long Learning classes, sports, golf, swimming pools, cards, trips, concerts, polo, softball, tennis, many restaurants, and the nicests/caring neighbors, block get togethers). There is something for everyone. You make your life what you want to make it. It is who you are. The most important thing to remember is to have a positive attitude. If you are a negative person who finds fault with just about everything - that is what you will find. If you are a person who enjoys life, enjoys being with people, and wants to make the most of every day, TV is the place to be. There are all kinds of people in this world. TV is no different. We come from all parts of the world. Life is what you make it. It is up to you to enjoy yourself. You will naturally attract persons like yourself.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Looking at my Google alert on The Villages, Florida was this interesting link to this blog from CNBC: http://www.cnbc.com/id/20482323
Old 08-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Sage

Priceless!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Platinum member

And this made the news? And I'm supposed to be surprized? :yikes: Nah.

Steve
Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Great article Dicky.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.