Is the Sharon Ugly and/or ill conceived?

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I know we are not to direct comments to specific users, but in this case I am because I am complementing Boogie's post. You have stated you position very well supported with facts. I would not call this type of post negative, but a well supported opinion. Others could learn from your post.

Also complimenting Boogie's well-thought out post with one additional thought. Mark Morse is not going to use a piece of land that could accommodate 800 homes for a performing art center or anything other than 800 homes to sell quickly. This business model explains the lack of churches, softball courts, bowling alleys, dog parks, etc in any area that could be developed.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I have read the other threads on The Sharon and some people think it was a bad idea, parking etc. People have personally told me that previous surveys have suggested against it being built but the Developer built regardless. I walk by The Sharon most mornings and I have to say I think its ugly. It kinda looks like a prison with a cross on top. Is it just me?

If they wanted more commercial space could they have not incorporated it into the perimeter of that prison warehouse looking Sharon, instead of dooming Katie Belles? They could have had their theater and a bustling beautiful building. The idea of The Sharon makes no sense in a Square, fully one forth of the square will now be dead ugly unused space the vast majority of the time. Will it be used daily by the residents?

Yes yes yes... the developer has a right to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and yes they are most likely smarter than the rest of us. The question is ... is it ugly? Does it belong in a square? I would do this post as a survey if I knew how and had the rights.

PS...Why do some people never ever criticize the developer?

The Villages Florida

They are not God.

:b igbow:
I love the building. I also loved it before.
No reason to criticize the developer. They are developers which means they develop.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When it was being built, I commented several times to my wife that the big wall on the side facing the square looked out of place in the quaint little square. Yes, I think that outside of the building is ugly and doesn't fit the square.

I don't think that the issue is whether to have built a bigger and better performance center. I think that many, if not most, residence wanted that. The two issues that I see are the size and location.

Being only 200 seats larger than the Savannah Center, I can't see where it's going to attract big name artists. If it does, the ticket prices will have to be astronomical.

The second issue is location. Many people don't understand why this had to be built in an already busy and congested town square with limited parking. There are plenty areas more centrally located where a larger (2,000-3,000) seat facility could have been built with plenty of parking. It also would have made more sense to to have it more centrally located on one of the major east to west roads, 466 and 466A. People from the southern and central areas would have had easier access. The area across from Pinellas on 466A that they just bought immediately came to my mind as the perfect spot if a 3,000 seat venue. Easy access from a main road, centrally located and plenty of room for parking.
They could have also added some retail and restaurants for the patrons of the performance center.

It's not only parking that will be an additional problem, but an additional 500 cars and golf carts coming into the square on concert nights will cause quite a bit of traffic. Look at the roads coming into the square. They are all small one lane in each direction roads. Main St., Paige Place, Del Mar, Alonzo and the other streets are going to be jammed up when The Sharon is sold out.

I'm not trying to be critical of the developer. I am a huge fan of this organization and love almost everything that they've done so far. I just can't agree with this one.

This is my own opinion of course and I could be proven wrong so we'll all just wait and see. In the meant time we should be able to discuss things and give our opinions without being criticized or labeled as negative. We're not all going to agree on everything all the time.
I have had visitors who have thought the same. Not a good location and that kind of an unappealing to the eye building. The original Church on the Square was beautiful. The Sharon does look quite attractive inside, however.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Well thought out post and perspective Dr. Winston. I have been to Spanish Springs on a night when entertainment was in the Church on The Square and it was full and there were lots of others enjoying the music and dancing on the Square too. I don't remember having a terrible time finding a parking space. Now, a parade like St. Patrick's, parking was a bit of a problem. If parking is a problem, I believe the Developer will come up with a solution.

Who knows about the long range plans for any of the Squares?

I do think that the Developer could be a little more transparent about long range plans for The Villages. I know in business you have to be careful,for obvious reasons, but many rumors etc. could be put to rest with a bit more transparency. Ooops---careful about negatives!

Like its already been said, let's just wait and see how this beautiful facility works.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Well thought out post and perspective Dr. Winston. I have been to Spanish Springs on a night when entertainment was in the Church on The Square and it was full and there were lots of others enjoying the music and dancing on the Square too. I don't remember having a terrible time finding a parking space. Now, a parade like St. Patrick's, parking was a bit of a problem. If parking is a problem, I believe the Developer will come up with a solution.

Who knows about the long range plans for any of the Squares?

I do think that the Developer could be a little more transparent about long range plans for The Villages. I know in business you have to be careful,for obvious reasons, but many rumors etc. could be put to rest with a bit more transparency. Ooops---careful about negatives!

Like its already been said, let's just wait and see how this beautiful facility works.

A good place to hear what those long range plans are will be Mark Morse's state of The Villages speech in May. Tickets will be available starting next Monday, April 27, at 8:00am at The Sharon.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When it was being built, I commented several times to my wife that the big wall on the side facing the square looked out of place in the quaint little square. Yes, I think that outside of the building is ugly and doesn't fit the square.

I don't think that the issue is whether to have built a bigger and better performance center. I think that many, if not most, residence wanted that. The two issues that I see are the size and location.

Being only 200 seats larger than the Savannah Center, I can't see where it's going to attract big name artists. If it does, the ticket prices will have to be astronomical.

The second issue is location. Many people don't understand why this had to be built in an already busy and congested town square with limited parking. There are plenty areas more centrally located where a larger (2,000-3,000) seat facility could have been built with plenty of parking. It also would have made more sense to to have it more centrally located on one of the major east to west roads, 466 and 466A. People from the southern and central areas would have had easier access. The area across from Pinellas on 466A that they just bought immediately came to my mind as the perfect spot if a 3,000 seat venue. Easy access from a main road, centrally located and plenty of room for parking.
They could have also added some retail and restaurants for the patrons of the performance center.

It's not only parking that will be an additional problem, but an additional 500 cars and golf carts coming into the square on concert nights will cause quite a bit of traffic. Look at the roads coming into the square. They are all small one lane in each direction roads. Main St., Paige Place, Del Mar, Alonzo and the other streets are going to be jammed up when The Sharon is sold out.

I'm not trying to be critical of the developer. I am a huge fan of this organization and love almost everything that they've done so far. I just can't agree with this one.

This is my own opinion of course and I could be proven wrong so we'll all just wait and see. In the meant time we should be able to discuss things and give our opinions without being criticized or labeled as negative. We're not all going to agree on everything all the time.
It is what it is. It certainly isn't going to be moved or un-built. I'm sure we can somehow manage to live with it. Enjoy it if you can. If you can't, move on to something else that you may be able to change. In our golden years, it seems we would have learned those lessons. For our (scant) remaining years, we can enjoy life or be trampled by things that we don't agree with.

By the way, on Saturday night there were lots of things going on in Spanish Springs. The PBA tournament, the entertainment in the square (exceptional band by the way), the Cruise-in, and the sold out show at The Sharon. With just a little planning, we parked and dined at Ruby Tuesdays, with only a 10 minute wait, viewed some of the classic cars, listened to the band and, without waiting in line, found our seats inside The Sharon. Our departure from Spanish Springs was as uneventful as our arrival.

Xavier

Last edited by Xavier; 04-20-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

I like the building and the concept.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

our son who has spent numerous years in Mexico walked past this week and pointed out that it looked exactly like a small church in Mexico with the monastery attached. he actually has pictures that look almost exactly alike and in the same color configuration that it has been painted. so I guess in keeping with the Spanish Springs mode they hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Gold member

in an area where people flock to see cover bands this type of venue will be perfect.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

The Sharon | Schedule - The Villages Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center

These look like good choices for the Villages.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Default A little surprized

I was a little surprised The Villages didn't have an open house to show off it to the residence.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I have read the other threads on The Sharon and some people think it was a bad idea, parking etc. People have personally told me that previous surveys have suggested against it being built but the Developer built regardless. I walk by The Sharon most mornings and I have to say I think its ugly. It kinda looks like a prison with a cross on top. Is it just me?

If they wanted more commercial space could they have not incorporated it into the perimeter of that prison warehouse looking Sharon, instead of dooming Katie Belles? They could have had their theater and a bustling beautiful building. The idea of The Sharon makes no sense in a Square, fully one forth of the square will now be dead ugly unused space the vast majority of the time. Will it be used daily by the residents?

Yes yes yes... the developer has a right to do whatever they want with their hard earned money, and yes they are most likely smarter than the rest of us. The question is ... is it ugly? Does it belong in a square? I would do this post as a survey if I knew how and had the rights.

PS...Why do some people never ever criticize the developer?

The Villages Florida

They are not God.

:b igbow:
And what would the survey accomplish?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
It is what it is. It certainly isn't going to be moved or un-built. I'm sure we can somehow manage to live with it. Enjoy it if you can. If you can't, move on to something else that you may be able to change. In our golden years, it seems we would have learned those lessons. For our (scant) remaining years, we can enjoy life or be trampled by things that we don't agree with.

By the way, on Saturday night there were lots of things going on in Spanish Springs. The PGA tournament, the entertainment in the square (exceptional band by the way), the Cruise-in, and the sold out show at The Sharon. With just a little planning, we parked and dined at Ruby Tuesdays, with only a 10 minute wait, viewed some of the classic cars, listened to the band and, without waiting in line, found our seats inside The Sharon. Our departure from Spanish Springs was as uneventful as our arrival.

Xavier
How can this be? I read on TOTV from some very knowledge posters there are/will be many problems.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
I was a little surprised The Villages didn't have an open house to show off it to the residence.
........to include a souvenir mug.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Just a question.......what was the difference when it was The Church on The Square, seating capacity, frequency of shows, other uses for the facility? Is there that much difference between the two that it will cause SS to implode?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.