Sinkhole near Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Didn't your sales person explain the risks of sink holes in this neck of the woods?
Nope. But I'm a fast learner!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post
I would not have to worry about this or any other problem mother nature could throw at me...If you had a wife like I do you would have insurance on things you would probably never need....I still live up north and I bet you I have buffalo stampeeding through my house coverage....
That's funny stuff.

Thanks for the laugh on such a serious subject.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gego3650 View Post
I called my insurance company in reference to sink hole coverage. If the house falls in the hole the answer is covered. Complete coverage requied a physical inspection and sink hole will be denied if there is a concrete crack anywhere. The agent told me to forget it a most homes will not pass. Who does not have a driveway crack. That will deny additional coverage.
And I seem to recall that you have to pay for that inspection and that the $$$ could run you in the hundreds.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Sage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Girl View Post
I agree... It seems every time someone posts something like this, or say banning golf carts, everyone starts running around like chickens with their heads cut off!

Sink holes happen in Florida.

Central Florida Sinkhole Problem is Growing - Florida Local Information - a Welcome Center - Zimbio

If they bother you, stay in California where there are earthquakes and mudslides, or the mid west or south where the tornadoes are. Or maybe a state that shuts down due to snow storms. The gulf or east coast, near the water with its hurricanes. Every state has it's issues. For Central Florida, it's sinkholes... and alligators... and coyotes.... Oh... and dogs pooping in your yard.... and.... *sigh*

I love my little place in paradise and if a sinkhole takes my home, I will deal with it then.
Since living in The Villages, my house has been hit by three hurricanes, my CYV neighborhood was decimated by a tornado, and my house was struck by lightning. Just waiting for that sinkhole to develop.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Gold member
Default Inspection for sinkhole coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
And I seem to recall that you have to pay for that inspection and that the $$$ could run you in the hundreds.
I never had to have an inspection to obtain or retain sinkhole coverage. I wonder if the inspection requirement depends on the insurance company and/or on the location of the property with The Villages.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage

The company that wrote our H.O. insurance policy required an independent 3rd party inspection before they'd add sink hole coverage to the policy. They made the arrangements for the inspection and split the cost with us. Cost us $75 out-of-pocket - seemed pretty cheap to me!!! And our home passed inspection.

Bill
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
The company that wrote our H.O. insurance policy required an independent 3rd party inspection before they'd add sink hole coverage to the policy. They made the arrangements for the inspection and split the cost with us. Cost us $75 out-of-pocket - seemed pretty cheap to me!!! And our home passed inspection.

Bill

Well the home may have passed but I am curious as to how deep he drilled to see if there could be a future problem????

Our insurance carrier gave us a quote for the sinkhole coverage no questions asked and no inspection.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Didn't your sales person explain the risks of sink holes in this neck of the woods?
I moved down in 2006 and all they said was "here's the price take it or leave it and don't ask us to change anything". "And by the way we want 20% up front". I told the agent that since prices had about doubled from 2004 that I had made a list of what would be included in a house I would purchase. If they could not find a house within my price range then look at other southern states. The bad news the housing values tanked about a year later The good news I sold my home within a week of putting it on the market and for my price.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Well the home may have passed but I am curious as to how deep he drilled to see if there could be a future problem????

Our insurance carrier gave us a quote for the sinkhole coverage no questions asked and no inspection.
Could you give me the name of your carrier? My insurance carrier cancelled my policy.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Yes, our primary home is about 1/2 mile away and one of our rental homes is about 300 yards away. So I will be watching it very closely.
I was just wondering if TV allows multiple ownership of home for rent.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post

Spk, I'm not sure what they did for that inspection as I wasn't present. I do know that they needed to look around inside the house - I made arrangements with our homewatch person to be there to let the inspector in. Externally, I believe all they looked for was any obvious cracking in the observable foundation, sidewalk/driveway, etc. I think our insurance agent also mentioned that they check with whatever source for reports of previous sink hole occurrences in the surrounding area.

Wish I had more specifics for you - sorry!

Bill
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
I never had to have an inspection to obtain or retain sinkhole coverage. I wonder if the inspection requirement depends on the insurance company and/or on the location of the property with The Villages.
Are you sure you have the Sinkhole coverage and not just the Catastrophic? I don't believe that the first ever requires an inspection since it's the lesser of the coverage. If you're not sure, check with your agent!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Since living in The Villages, my house has been hit by three hurricanes, my CYV neighborhood was decimated by a tornado, and my house was struck by lightning. Just waiting for that sinkhole to develop.
That's quite a collection of stories to tell. How many days have you lived here?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
That's quite a collection of stories to tell. How many days have you lived here?
I think he/she needs to switch churches.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Oh dear.... do tell us where you live so we can stay clear.

Oh wait... I think I found your house when I was driving around tonight.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.