Sinkhole next door

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Default Sinkhole next door

I almost bought a house the other day, but i found out that the house 'next' door had a sinkhole filled in 2014, it is public record and is on the Marion County Prop App site. I only stumbled across this fact. Shouldn't this be listed in the disclosure section of the MLS listing, or the Sales Contract, or somewhere.??
Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran member

Currently the Florida Statutes (Statute 627.7073 (2)(c)) require that a seller of real property is only obligated to disclose to the buyer that a sinkhole claim was made against the property and that the claim was paid by the insurer; they must also disclose whether the funds paid were used to repair the insured damage.

This is Florida...sinkholes can pretty much open anywhere!
Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 AM

It wouldn't have to be disclosed unless it pertained to the property for sale.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:44 AM
Gold member

There isn't a place on the planet where something disastrous can happen. If a sinkhole had occurred on the property next to ours it would not have effected our decision to buy.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
There isn't a place on the planet where something disastrous can happen. If a sinkhole had occurred on the property next to ours it would not have effected our decision to buy.
I agree.

Better the sinkhole you know than the sinkhole you don't know.

I will predict that the first BIG rain after this prolonged drought will cause many sinkholes and many will be blamed on the developer.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Obviously, I am no expert. But i dont think sinkholes are like lightening not striking twice.
As i understand sink holes are caverns, more like an iceberg, all we see is the tip of it. I will steer clear of any such obvious warning. Still i think there should be a registry of some sort or deep soil inspections available, or maybe there is, that i dont know about. Thanks Bill
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

If the sink hole is sealed properly that should be the last time that house has a problem. Its now sitting on a big pile of concrete.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Obviously, I am no expert. But i dont think sinkholes are like lightening not striking twice.
As i understand sink holes are caverns, more like an iceberg, all we see is the tip of it. I will steer clear of any such obvious warning. Still i think there should be a registry of some sort or deep soil inspections available, or maybe there is, that i dont know about. Thanks Bill
I have seen on TOTV a link to a website which actually does display a record of reported sinkholes. Maybe Google can find the website for you.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
It wouldn't have to be disclosed unless it pertained to the property for sale.
Sorry, but you are dead wrong!

It definitely must be disclosed.
Any and all defects regarding the subject property, neighborhood or area in general, must be disclosed, past or present.
As a matter of fact, a seller should complete a "Seller's Disclosure" which an agent/Realtor keeps on file until there is a buyer.
The buyer, in turn, should be given the disclosure to read and sign before initiating a contract for sale.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

http://dep.state.fl.us/geology/geolo...ole_poster.pdf
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Kindly supply the Florida State Statute number and quote the appropriate paragraph that requires disclosure of any kind on any of your neighbors property or past problems clear back to human occupation of the aforementioned property.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, sinkhole, door, fact, stumbled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.