Vinyl Plank Flooring

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Default Vinyl Plank Flooring

We will be replacing the carpet in our soon to be new home in TV, and are thinking about going with vinyl planking versus laminate. Guy at Floor Masters said since it comes in sheets and seals down if a section gets damaged you can heat it up with a hair dryer and replace it. What we looked at is a wood grain texture.

We didn't asked about the engineered wood. Any thoughts from those of you who have gone through this choice dilemma?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Sage

If you're going to do it at all consider wood, it will add value to home and if you sell later on it is a plus++

see here

I also found
Vinyl planks have a high incidence of failure on concrete floors.

If you have any type of back or foot problems both will make them worse

vinyl flooring whether it is sheets, or " luxury vinyl plank " which is just a manufacturers term and means nothing other than the vinyl sheet is cut in planks instead of room size sheets, it is still a mass of chemicals that are formed and colored to resemble something. They are reasonably durable, but not reparable as wood or stone would be. They are however very inexpensive ( probably the most inexpensive flooring )

It will not add value the seams are a concern especially if sun will hit.

I like real wood so I'm bias
Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We have a farmhouse with wide plank engineered Anderson Hickory Flintlock Hand Scraped Flooring. It is the first thing everyone comments on when they walk in. It is easy to clean, wears great and looks fabulous. I am hoping it sells the house which hopefully will be listed end of next week! When it scratches on occasion, I put some floor stain on it and no one sees or knows. It is the best! We di dnot put that in our Villages villa, we used Brazilian wood which also looks great, Wood is wood, it just looks better.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
If you're going to do it at all consider wood, it will add value to home and if you sell later on it is a plus++
I like real wood so I'm bias
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We have a farmhouse with wide plank engineered Anderson Hickory Flintlock Hand Scraped Flooring. It is the first thing everyone comments on when they walk in.
Thank you both! We aren't locked in either way yet, as I wanted to do a lot more research as well as ask the great folks on TOTV for their thoughts. Your comments are most helpful and greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

We have it in our bedroom and love it. It looks great and easy to clean. I just use vinegar and water in a spray bottle with the Bona mop.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Go with what would give you the best resale. I would worry about having to pull up a piece and then have more issues getting the same size to fit
Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Sage

I would guess wood or tile is the better resale value
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage

John, go with what you like and what fits into your budget. "Resale value" considerations DO have merit, obviously - but you should do what you're most comfortable with.

Bill
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Just be sure and choose the product quality carefully. For a short time, we owned a home with laminate flooring. I do not know whether it was the brand, quality or what, but I did not like them-I could never get them to look good. I know that others are very happy with laminate flooring. It is just that all brands are not created equal.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Laminate

We looked at vinyl planking. They have some nice looking ones. It may hurt resale value. We wanted wood, but after taking into consideration the Sun fading the wood, we changed our mind. When we removed our area rugs up north you could see where they were on the hardwood. The sun in Fl is much more intense. Some people told us ,the "sandy dirt" on your shoes will scratch the wood. ( I have no experience with this). We went with a Hand Scraped laminate that several people thought was wood. Done by Georgia Floors Direct in Ocala. NO "clicking". Time will tell how well it holds up!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
John, go with what you like and what fits into your budget. "Resale value" considerations DO have merit, obviously - but you should do what you're most comfortable with.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Always value your opinion. I asked for opinions because we haven't done much research yet, but plan to. Resale value is a good point to keep in mind, because although we love our soon to be new home, I really did want a golf cart garage. But may find our 2-car garage is more than enough.

John
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Default couldn't be happier

We've lived in our home 2 years and our vinyl plank floor looks as good as the day it was installed. It's all about choosing the best quality you can afford and using a reputable company. We used Great Lakes and haven't been sorry.Most of our guests think it is hardwood.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default an opinion from a Wannabe

We replaced some flooring recently and have seen some great looking vinyl procucts. We ended up using CeramaDura because it was for 3 full baths and kitchen and breakfast nook and laundry and hall. This is a durable product that looks like Ceramic tile and they also have the wood plank look stuff also. The advantage is that it is a bit softer than ceramic tile. Also the wood plank look is better in wet areas ie bathrooms than wood. I know that is not what you want but we are very pleased with that type of product. Just thought you would want to know....The wood look stuff is wonderful!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
We replaced some flooring recently and have seen some great looking vinyl procucts. We ended up using CeramaDura because it was for 3 full baths and kitchen and breakfast nook and laundry and hall. This is a durable product that looks like Ceramic tile and they also have the wood plank look stuff also. The advantage is that it is a bit softer than ceramic tile. Also the wood plank look is better in wet areas ie bathrooms than wood. I know that is not what you want but we are very pleased with that type of product. Just thought you would want to know....The wood look stuff is wonderful!
Great suggestion, because we are doing 2 baths, kitchen and breakfast nook. Will look into CeramaDura more. Thanks so much for the info.

We have gone from wannabee, to snowflake, to gonnabee, and very soon will become "we-bee" (as in "we be here"!!) Actually, I think the correct term is "FROGS"!

Good luck in your journey and thanks again for the suggestion.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.