Catastrophic ground collapse

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA
Default Catastrophic ground collapse

I was wondering just how safe a home in TV that had experienced
"Catastrophic ground collape" would be after corrective repairs have been made?? Assuming of course, that the hole had been filled in with grout etc and corrected according to proper codes, by a company who specializes in this field.

Would anyone on TOTV, feel that this home is now "safer" because it was filled in - OR not safe at all? Would you take a chance on buying such a property?? Your thoughts and opinions please.

Betty

Last edited by Opulence; 06-22-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

If it happens to your home you either live there or try to sell and let new buyers know. Hard question, cause you don't have a choice, would i buy if i know no, i think the insurance would kill you
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum member

Sinkholes which damage but do not destroy homes can, and have been repaired so that no further problems occur. But, before I'd even consider it:

1) It would have to have to be an outrageously attractive price, and

2) have the best possible inspection certification that the repair work was done as thoroughly and correctly as possible.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
If it happens to your home you either live there or try to sell and let new buyers know. Hard question, cause you don't have a choice, would i buy if i know no, i think the insurance would kill you
If I am not mistaken, all homes within a certain radius where Catastrophic ground collapse has occurred, are "red flagged" by the insurance companies. Not sure if the surrounding homes rates go up as well, but the "area" is flagged nontheless. Perhaps someone here can shed a bit more light on this matter.

Betty

Last edited by Opulence; 06-22-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Sage

My question is, have the sinkholes that have occurred are only in the new areas of construction?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
My question is, have the sinkholes that have occurred are only in the new areas of construction?
No, sinkholes have occurred in older, established villages as well.

Betty
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage

As I understand sinkholes, the Florida underground is porous limestone covered by sand. There is the aquifer under the limestone. When the groundwater goes away either from extreme drought or from too much demand on it from excessive building, there are pockets of the limestone that were caves under water and they collapse on themselves. The product is a sinkhole if it occurs gradually or a catatrophic ground collapse if it occurs suddenly.

There have been sinkholes and ground collapses around Orlando, Ocala, The Villages, and other populated areas of Central Florida.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes, all of this is very true. But I am playing the devil's advocate here . . .

Does anyone think a Village home that has suffered sinkhole damage or catastrophic damage is SAFER (when correct repairs have been made) than a home that has not suffered any damage? I'm throwing this out there to see what your opinions are and why.

In one respect, I think the home COULD possibly be safer because it is now on a solid foundation, as opposed to those homes who are not. BUT, could another sinkhole or catastrophic occurrence happen in the same place? The developer will plug up the sinkholes in the Ashland pond and life in TV will go on as usual. But if a sinkhole involves a home, and it is repaired - people are very leary indeed. I do realize that insurance on such a property could be very costly. Does anyone really know how this effects homes in the area - i.e. insurance, resale value etc???

Betty
Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile Like busses - another one along every half hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
I was wondering just how safe a home in TV that had experienced
"Catastrophic ground collape" would be after corrective repairs have been made?? Assuming of course, that the hole had been filled in with grout etc and corrected according to proper codes, by a company who specializes in this field.

Would anyone on TOTV, feel that this home is now "safer" because it was filled in - OR not safe at all? Would you take a chance on buying such a property?? Your thoughts and opinions please.

Betty
If you are thinking about buying this house...... if it were me I would not buy it. There are PLENTY of other homes in TV to buy which have not had this problem. One less thing to worry about.

Just sayin'

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I would think once repaired, assuming it was done correctly, that home would have less chance of future problems then a near by home. If I understand the sink hole problem, and that is a big IF, then that home would be much more safe then a home that nothing was ever done to protect. Check on insurance. If they will insure it now then it should be safe. I am sure insurance componies have studied the probability of future problems.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Sage

Is the developer responsible for the ashland sinkhole, or has that lake been turned over to the CDD? Might there be an assessment for the fix??
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Is the developer responsible for the ashland sinkhole, or has that lake been turned over to the CDD? Might there be an assessment for the fix??
As I understand it, our amenity fees are based on cost of living and go up and even slightly went down once, based on that.

We are not assessed things in the ways that country clubs were assessed back home.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-23-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
If you are thinking about buying this house...... if it were me I would not buy it. There are PLENTY of other homes in TV to buy which have not had this problem. One less thing to worry about.

Just sayin'
To clarify - I am not thinking about buying a house that has had sinkhole or catastrophic repair work done.

Due to all of the recent sinkhole activity (probably due to severe drought & recent heavy rains), it occurred to me, that perhaps a home that has been stabalized, may even be safer than one that has not. I wanted list members thoughts & opinions on this. I would imagine that there are homes in TV, that have had corrective repair work done, and felt this could be an interesting topic of discussion.

It surprises me that more members have opinions on a west facing lanai's than on this issue. One just never knows when the worm will turn.

Betty
Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I would think once repaired, assuming it was done correctly, that home would have less chance of future problems then a near by home. If I understand the sink hole problem, and that is a big IF, then that home would be much more safe then a home that nothing was ever done to protect. Check on insurance. If they will insure it now then it should be safe. I am sure insurance componies have studied the probability of future problems.
Thanks for your opinion. I am inclined to think along those same lines & appreciate your input.

I had not thought of the insurance companies having data on the probability of future problems, and I am glad you pointed this out. Having said that, it would also be interesting to find out if they have any time line on how long these repairs might last - how many years before you may have concern if at all. Thanks again. More food for thought.

Betty

Last edited by Opulence; 06-23-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.