Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sinkholes in Sumter County (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sinkholes-sumter-county-71988/)

gpirate 03-07-2013 09:03 AM

Sinkholes in Sumter County

We are considering moving to The Villages and are now concerned about sinkholes. Is this a big risk in this area? No one has ever mentioned it when we have visited the area in the past.

Bill-n-Brillo 03-07-2013 09:10 AM

Welcome to TOTV!!! :wave:

Here are a few current/recent threads on the topic:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...nkholes-71909/

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...florida-71486/

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...inkhole-69907/

Bill :)

Barefoot 03-07-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpirate (Post 638416)
We are considering moving to The Villages and are now concerned about sinkholes. Is this a big risk in this area? No one has ever mentioned it when we have visited the area in the past.

If you use the Search button above and search for "sink holes", there are many interesting discussions on this subject, plus some pictures. Sink holes are about as worrisome as black ice, rattle snakes, lightning, hurricanes, earthquakes, black bears, etc.

As Gilda Radner said: "It's always something".

2BNTV 03-07-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Your first post. :welcome to TOTV.

Sinkholes can happen but I wouldn' let it stop me from moving to TV. They are very infrequent and you can get insurance if you are building new.

The benefits of TV far outweigh the risk invovled. IMHO

graciegirl 03-07-2013 09:54 AM

Just so you know that we aren't trying to make this place perfect.

There are some sinkholes happening here randomly and usually after the great and frequent rains in the summer.

You cannot buy a new home using VA or FHA but you can buy a used home using VA and FHA. Sometimes Hurricane winds will reach the center part of Florida and we have had tornadoes touch down and do damage.

There are a lot of old people living here too.

I don't want anyone to be surprised or blame anyone for not telling them.

I am sort of being a smart aleck, but I am kinda sincere too.

Welcome to you. You will love it here and as Barefoot said in her quote.

"It IS always something. ;)

Cantwaittoarrive 03-07-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

There are risk from nature no matter where you live. Some can be reduced with insurance, some can not.

2BNTV 03-07-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive (Post 638464)
There are risk from nature no matter where you live. Some can be reduced with insurance, some can not.

This is so true. Like Gracie said, hurricanes, sinkholes and tornadoes can happen but they also happened in the tri-sate area, (minus sinkholes), with some people being killed even though they were in their homes.

Nothing is guanranteedd in life so I am more than willing to take my chances in Florida and TV.

Mack184 03-07-2013 11:44 AM

Although in Matthew 7: 24-27 Jesus is not particularly complimentary about the intelegence of those who "build their house upon the sand". :)

spuds51 03-07-2013 01:30 PM

Insurance ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 638460)
There are some sinkholes happening here randomly and usually after the great and frequent rains in the summer.

You cannot buy a new home using VA or FHA but you can buy a used home using VA and FHA. Sometimes Hurricane winds will reach the center part of Florida and we have had tornadoes touch down and do damage.

There are a lot of old people living here too.

I don't want anyone to be surprised or blame anyone for not telling them.

I am sort of being a smart aleck, but I am kinda sincere too.

Welcome to you. You will love it here and as Barefoot said in her quote.

"It IS always something. ;)

Yes it is always something and although I wouldn't go to bed worrying about sink holes it is a concern. I don't worry about my house burning down or being flooded either but I have insurance for both.
I read in another post that one person believed you can no longer get sink hole coverage. That existing policy holders can keep it but new home owners in Florida can not get it.
I would like to know from someone in "the know" if this is indeed the case. I see you are from Ohio. I too am a Buckeye and my wife and I are seriously considering moving to TV. Before I sell out and SINK everything I have into a house there it would be nice to know.

graciegirl 03-07-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack184 (Post 638541)
Although in Matthew 7: 24-27 Jesus is not particularly complimentary about the intelegence of those who "build their house upon the sand". :)

Well I know what it says in the Book, but I heard from a very unreliable source that Benedict is trying to choose between a Gardenia and a Lantana.

Cantwaittoarrive 03-07-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack184 (Post 638541)

If that's the case, why did God decide to put heaven in Florida and call it TV?:laugh:

rubicon 03-07-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Don't do it. People are disappearing left and right right before your eyes. One second your a foursome at a tee and :boom: your now a threesome.

Friend the news people have a way and need to stretch story to keep it interesting and repeatedable 24/7 news is going to be our undoing

You are very welcome to join us

Mack184 03-07-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive (Post 638637)
If that's the case, why did God decide to put heaven in Florida and call it TV?:laugh:

God did not. Gary Morse did. Now maybe you worship Gary Morse, and while I think the man's a genius, he is not God.

justjim 03-07-2013 04:06 PM

WHOA! TV is a great place to retire but it is far from heaven. No sickness in heaven etc. etc......you see where I'm going. Sinkholes? Not to worry if you have 10% of your purchase price to pay for the insurance deductible.

Barefoot 03-07-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 638649)
Don't do it. People are disappearing left and right right before your eyes. One second you're a foursome at a tee, and :boom: you're now a threesome.

I know sinkholes aren't a laughing matter, but Rubicon, :a20: