Talk of The Villages



» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sinkholes in Sumter County
  #1  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ks., Ne, Ia, Mo, Co, Ga, next TV
Posts: 155
Default Sinkholes in Sumter County

We are considering moving to The Villages and are now concerned about sinkholes. Is this a big risk in this area? No one has ever mentioned it when we have visited the area in the past.

  #2  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,916
Default

Welcome to TOTV!!!

Here are a few current/recent threads on the topic:

Sinkholes

Sinkholes in Florida

Potential Sinkhole?

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 11,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
We are considering moving to The Villages and are now concerned about sinkholes. Is this a big risk in this area? No one has ever mentioned it when we have visited the area in the past.
If you use the Search button above and search for "sink holes", there are many interesting discussions on this subject, plus some pictures. Sink holes are about as worrisome as black ice, rattle snakes, lightning, hurricanes, earthquakes, black bears, etc.

As Gilda Radner said: "It's always something".
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
  #4  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM
2BNTV's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Village Resident
Posts: 8,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
We are considering moving to The Villages and are now concerned about sinkholes. Is this a big risk in this area? No one has ever mentioned it when we have visited the area in the past.
Your first post. :welcome to TOTV.

Sinkholes can happen but I wouldn' let it stop me from moving to TV. They are very infrequent and you can get insurance if you are building new.

The benefits of TV far outweigh the risk invovled. IMHO
__________________
"It doesn't cost "nuttin", to be nice". MOM

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Sponsored Links
Just so you know that we aren't trying to make this place perfect.
  #5  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 22,310
Default Just so you know that we aren't trying to make this place perfect.

There are some sinkholes happening here randomly and usually after the great and frequent rains in the summer.

You cannot buy a new home using VA or FHA but you can buy a used home using VA and FHA. Sometimes Hurricane winds will reach the center part of Florida and we have had tornadoes touch down and do damage.

There are a lot of old people living here too.

I don't want anyone to be surprised or blame anyone for not telling them.

I am sort of being a smart aleck, but I am kinda sincere too.

Welcome to you. You will love it here and as Barefoot said in her quote.

"It IS always something.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
  #6  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
We are considering moving to The Villages and are now concerned about sinkholes. Is this a big risk in this area? No one has ever mentioned it when we have visited the area in the past.
There are risk from nature no matter where you live. Some can be reduced with insurance, some can not.
Sponsored Links
  #7  
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
2BNTV's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Village Resident
Posts: 8,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
There are risk from nature no matter where you live. Some can be reduced with insurance, some can not.
This is so true. Like Gracie said, hurricanes, sinkholes and tornadoes can happen but they also happened in the tri-sate area, (minus sinkholes), with some people being killed even though they were in their homes.

Nothing is guanranteedd in life so I am more than willing to take my chances in Florida and TV.
__________________
"It doesn't cost "nuttin", to be nice". MOM

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
  #8  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 623
Default

Although in Matthew 7: 24-27 Jesus is not particularly complimentary about the intelegence of those who "build their house upon the sand".
Sponsored Links
Insurance ?
  #9  
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Default Insurance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are some sinkholes happening here randomly and usually after the great and frequent rains in the summer.

You cannot buy a new home using VA or FHA but you can buy a used home using VA and FHA. Sometimes Hurricane winds will reach the center part of Florida and we have had tornadoes touch down and do damage.

There are a lot of old people living here too.

I don't want anyone to be surprised or blame anyone for not telling them.

I am sort of being a smart aleck, but I am kinda sincere too.

Welcome to you. You will love it here and as Barefoot said in her quote.

"It IS always something.
Yes it is always something and although I wouldn't go to bed worrying about sink holes it is a concern. I don't worry about my house burning down or being flooded either but I have insurance for both.
I read in another post that one person believed you can no longer get sink hole coverage. That existing policy holders can keep it but new home owners in Florida can not get it.
I would like to know from someone in "the know" if this is indeed the case. I see you are from Ohio. I too am a Buckeye and my wife and I are seriously considering moving to TV. Before I sell out and SINK everything I have into a house there it would be nice to know.
  #10  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 22,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Although in Matthew 7: 24-27 Jesus is not particularly complimentary about the intelegence of those who "build their house upon the sand".
Well I know what it says in the Book, but I heard from a very unreliable source that Benedict is trying to choose between a Gardenia and a Lantana.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Clubs, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.