small white crosses?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
I cannot make this any more clear. The cross is a Religious Symbol it is not a secular symbol. It would be protected under the 1st Amendment of the Constitution for Religious Freedom. Does that mean they could erect a 30 foot cross in their front yard, NO. The HOA in their Deed Restrictions could limit where in the yard it is placed, the size of the cross (Or any other Religious symbol) as long as the restriction did not but undue burden. If you search some of the rulings in the past the court makes a distinction between what is a secular symbol and a religious one. A Christmas Tree is a secular symbol. Why, because the court said people who are not Christian also have Christmas Trees. A cross is a Religious Symbol according to some of the court rulings. Protected under the 1st Amendment. It don't get any clearer the that.
What HOA are you referring to?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Well that seems logical but then I never thought it would be disallowed to pray in school.

You are incorrect.

Praying has never been "disallowed" in schools.

The truth about school prayer - The Washington Post
Quote:

The claim that public schools are hostile to Christians may rev up caucus-goers in Iowa, but there’s only one problem:

It isn’t true.

Truth be told, students of all faiths are actually free to pray alone or in groups during the school day, as long as they don’t disrupt the school or interfere with the rights of others.

Of course, the right to engage in voluntary prayer or religious discussion does not necessarily include the right to preach to a captive audience, like an assembly, or to compel other students to participate.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What HOA are you referring to?
HOA is being used here as a general term representing people that enforce covenants and deed restrictions for a community like TV or Stonecrest. Does that make you feel better now.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What kind of bit was that again?
I thought I could sneak that by but you were to observant.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 PM

People don't have enough to occupy their minds here do they?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

"Utopia is an imaginery place in which the government, laws, and social conditions are perfect". Merriman-Webster dictionary. It's an imaginery place.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=perrjojo;1364642]
Quote:
The answer is no. There is a difference between a sign and a religious symbol. Now another tit bit. The HOA would still have some say on the crosses. They could limit the size and where its displayed outside. As long as the HOA request is not is not over burden some. They could say they are allowed on the front door, or they are limited to 6 inches.[/QUOTE

Exactly..they are limited to under the eaves in the front yard. The problem is those that are NOT placed under the eaves.
I guess I do not see that as a problem. Some fights are not worth the effort. I wish the only problem that need to be fixed was a small white cross in the perceived wrong location. Sort of like the bathroom issue. People have been using their bathroom of choice for years. Then someone thought we needed a law to fix a problem hat did not exist. We are all our worst enemy.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
What kind of bit was that again?
That would be a tit bit.
As my mom used to say - "Small thing amuse small minds".
Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
The answer is no. There is a difference between a sign and a religious symbol. Now another tit bit. The HOA would still have some say on the crosses. They could limit the size and where its displayed outside. As long as the HOA request is not is not over burden some. They could say they are allowed on the front door, or they are limited to 6 inches.
I believe you meant to say tidbit. In any case, a few weeks ago, I saw an advertisement for a beautiful house for sale in The Villages. The house had a very generously sized driveway with pavers. Within the pavers was a huge white cross that was 3/4 of the length of the driveway. I could not determine if it was painted or not, but I was quite surprised to see it, and wondered whether such designs pass muster here.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
I believe you meant to say tidbit. In any case, a few weeks ago, I saw an advertisement for a beautiful house for sale in The Villages. The house had a very generously sized driveway with pavers. Within the pavers was a huge white cross that was 3/4 of the length of the driveway. I could not determine if it was painted or not, but I was quite surprised to see it, and wondered whether such designs pass muster here.
Now you did it. How long before some one calls for the driveway to be removed.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 PM

Oh my, I just saw a small white cross in a yard on the corner of Southern Trace and Roswell. I also wondered if a pet had died. Then I saw your note and some years older on TOTV and thought WOW that's a long running feud.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Why do you think some people are irritated by the small white crosses?

Maybe some people have been treated badly by Christians and anything Christian annoys them. Maybe others were raised by strict Bible-thumping parents and had a hard time breaking away from those beliefs. I really do not know.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

Maybe some people have been treated badly by Christians and anything Christian annoys them. Maybe others were raised by strict Bible-thumping parents and had a hard time breaking away from those beliefs. I really do not know.
Your answer lies within the previous 100+ posts.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Like most things, the reason doesn't matter in a free country. What matters is the law. Is it currently legal to do it?
If you disagree with the law, take your chances and accept the consequences if caught or work to change the law.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Quote:
Your answer lies within the previous 100+ posts.
Could you or anyone else please tell me which specific post answers my question?

I can't recall anyone explaining why the crosses irritate them.

As for myself, I am not, and never have been, a Christian of any type, but I think Christianity is a very nice religion for a lot of people. The religion has never irritated me in the least.
Closed Thread

Tags
yards, faith, making, statement, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.