small white crosses?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 PM

It dosent matter what they stand for, or if they stand for nothing at all. They violate the deed restrictions, take them down.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Sage
Default This is getting ridiculous

If community standards makes people take the crosses out of their yards, then ALL yard ornaments need to be taken out...ALL of them!!!! You cannot show favoritism on which ornaments stay and which ones go.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
It dosent matter what they stand for, or if they stand for nothing at all. They violate the deed restrictions, take them down.
wow scary! Just leave us alone.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Personally I could not care less if a neighbor has a small cross or such near their house. I respect that. Just like I would if they have a statue of a small donkey or elephant - so they like their political party?

This PC stuff in our great country is totally out of hand. Even for me, playing golf when I would typically ask "are you using the white tees or black?" NOW I say 'are you using the tees of no-color or of-color?"

other terms I have to PC>

Dead - living impaired
Gang - Youth Group
Fat - People of Mass
Redneck - person of region
Cheating - Academic Dishonesty
Bald- Comb free
Dish Washer - utensil sanitizer
Stupid - intellectually impaired
Loser - uniquely unfortuned individual on an alternative career path
Gas Station Attendent - petroleum transfer technician

Happy Villager - Got nothin' for this one, perfect just the way it is.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Or people who simply wish to show they are Christian. Like people who fly the flag because they are Patriotic. And those who have the Mezuza on their door because they are Jewish and people who choose to attend church or synagogue like the Pilgrims who founded this country looking for freedom to follow their peaceful religion.

According to deed restrictions no signs are allowed in their yard so I hope they move these crosses to close to the house, under the eaves but still visible so that they can be seen and still be in accord with the rules.
Words of wisdom by GG.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Why can't a cross just be a cross??? I salute those who who are not afraid to showcase their religion.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

What do deed restrictions have to do with "PC stuff"?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNAngelosNON View Post
Why can't a cross just be a cross??? I salute those who who are not afraid to showcase their religion.
Crosses are in the same category as ceramic deer, yard sculpture etc. When placed in a yard of a property subject to the appropriate restrictions they are a clear violation.

Not a religious issue- Is a matter of contract between the parties(property owners)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Or people who simply wish to show they are Christian. Like people who fly the flag because they are Patriotic. And those who have the Mezuza on their door because they are Jewish and people who choose to attend church or synagogue like the Pilgrims who founded this country looking for freedom to follow their peaceful religion.

According to deed restrictions no signs are allowed in their yard so I hope they move these crosses to close to the house, under the eaves but still visible so that they can be seen and still be in accord with the rules.
This is the all too obvious solution. If home owners want to have a small white cross, put it close to the house in compliance with their deed restrictions. Personally, I think this is still a longer term issue. Will non-Christians start putting their religious icons in the front lawns? Why stop with your religious affiliation - how about your clubs and military service and educational affiliations and ... favorite automobile manufacturer's logo, preferred golf club manufacturer, etc.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Actually there are more then 20 million atheists/agnostics in this country. And many atheists do not share the pro-choice view. A life is a life regardless of religion or a lack thereof. Morality was around long before Christianity.
Well said. I think it is also safe to say that many people who claim to believe in one religion or another secretly no longer believe but are unwilling to say so. As you so clearly pointed out, ethics and morality exist with or without religion.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Default white crosses

I just don't get why some of you people are stirring the pot over these white crosses. They are small, have no words, don't stop traffic, no sign protesting anything, make no noise.... How could they possibly be a problem? GET A LIFE and quit trying to control everything. I'll bet some of you that are complaining have ornamentation of some kind in your yard that is also against code. Please just learn to be more flexible in life.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:15 PM

Since I personally live in one of the districts with restrictive covenants for this type of situation I decided to refresh my memory on the exact wording in my copy. There is nothing prohibiting anything on religious grounds. My covenants read as follows: "Lawn ornaments are prohibited, except for seasons displays not exceeding a thirty (30) day duration." Signs are addressed separately as are fences, the number of pets per homesite, etc. Although I personally do not have an issue with crosses or other tasteful ornaments in anyone's yard who decides on what is tasteful and what is trash. Obviously there have been situations in other neighborhoods that were not controlled by such restrictions thus creating the need to address the issue. The bottom line is that the covenants clearly prohibit such actions and if you are living in one of the areas with similar restrictions you cannot choose to ignore some of the rules some of the time. Stop trying to shoot the messenger and find out how you can have the covenants changed if it means that much to you.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
To each his/her own.

Our society used to be much more tolerant of such displays private property or public.

In current times with instant communications, special interest groups, minority groups, permissive of everything, do not do or say anything to upset anybody even if true or deserved.......the isolated case/individual can always find some form of communicating to present their case as if millions were being offended when in reality it is only one or two or even a few.

The other 99.6489326% of us have no problem.....just like we have not for the past 80 years!!
This is such a good reply it needs to be posted again!!!

Who are the white crosses offending and why. Don't comeback with they are against the deed restrictions. If the crosses are, so are the gazing balls, the Buddha figurines, the storks, bird baths and those tiny Penn Stats flags. (All were observed while driving down Oak Forest Drive. None were obnoxious or did not blend into the overall landscaping. Well, except maybe for the Penn State flag.. :-)) I have yet to see one post complaining about these items! Let't try loving thy neighbor rather than bashing them.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
This is such a good reply it needs to be posted again!!!

Who are the white crosses offending and why. Don't comeback with they are against the deed restrictions. If the crosses are, so are the gazing balls, the Buddha figurines, the storks, bird baths and those tiny Penn Stats flags. (All were observed while driving down Oak Forest Drive. None were obnoxious or did not blend into the overall landscaping. Well, except maybe for the Penn State flag.. :-)) I have yet to see one post complaining about these items! Let't try loving thy neighbor rather than bashing them.

They offend many (including me ) if they are prohibited), as do the others that you mention.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

If they are on private property, meet the covenants/deed restrictions and aren't being burned...it doesn't really bother me.

I can't help but wonder though, if other religious symbols were being put in yards (ie: Islamic)...would there be a huge outcry?

Methinks...yes.
Closed Thread

Tags
yards, faith, making, statement, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.