snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default snowbirds

Why are there so many derogatory remarks about snowbirds? In a comment today I saw this one for example, "as the snow starts to fly up North there will be more traffic everywhere and I wonder how long before the next inebriated driver blows through the gate again."
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Some people like the quiet of the summer. Snowbirds bring a vibrancy. Lines increase, traffic becomes interesting to say the least, preferred tee times are taken. To me, the only truly negative to snowbirds is that it takes many of them a week or two to remember they don't need to rush everywhere.

We need the snowbirds. They shop a lot. They eat out a lot. They pay amenities year round. We frogs get the benefits of this. No snowbirds equals no stores, no restaurants, less rec centers. More importantly, they remind us how wonderful TV truly is. Their joy at being here is palpable and contagious.

Have no idea why some blame everything on snowbirds. Drunks are here year round. Gates are knocked down year round. Speeders are here year round. Guess it is easier to blame things on part-timers than it is to look in the mirror and realize the problem is you, your neighbor, your friend.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Sage

I think he means that when the snowbirds come down the rest of us do a lot more drinking because we can't get on the course.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Some people like the quiet of the summer. Snowbirds bring a vibrancy. Lines increase, traffic becomes interesting to say the least, preferred tee times are taken. To me, the only truly negative to snowbirds is that it takes many of them a week or two to remember they don't need to rush everywhere.

We need the snowbirds. They shop a lot. They eat out a lot. They pay amenities year round. We frogs get the benefits of this. No snowbirds equals no stores, no restaurants, less rec centers. More importantly, they remind us how wonderful TV truly is. Their joy at being here is palpable and contagious.

Have no idea why some blame everything on snowbirds. Drunks are here year round. Gates are knocked down year round. Speeders are here year round. Guess it is easier to blame things on part-timers than it is to look in the mirror and realize the problem is you, your neighbor, your friend.

A couple of my friends are snowbirds and I am delighted when they return for the short time, they are here.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Well done - enough said.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Sage
Talking My wife agrees...

Two of our favorite people are snow birds... 'right honey'?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

What she says

Thanks for saying it so well!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:

Old 10-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Well said Redwitch!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I agree too Red.

Here is my poem again;

Welcome Home Snowbirds.
The traffic is denser
The long lines are tenser
The northern birdies are back

The wait is much longer
The accents are stronger

The squares are more dancey
Tee times are more chancey
The northern birdies are back.

Old friends are returning
The night oil is burning

There's more entertaining
And much more complaining

Not much room at the market
And no where to park it

Rookies on the roadways
Folks driving in strange ways

New ones and old ones
younger ones and older ones

Welcome HOME! We missed you.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
Why are there so many derogatory remarks about snowbirds? In a comment today I saw this one for example, "as the snow starts to fly up North there will be more traffic everywhere and I wonder how long before the next inebriated driver blows through the gate again."
Some people simply have no respect.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Think of snowbirds as money couriers, bringing "the green". Eventually many of them turn green in that they become frogs. Just don't let oneself become green with envy.

Seriously, I have resided in several tourist destinations. In some areas the locals resent the tourists' presence which drives prices up, crowds the roads and restaurants and so on. Yet the locals love the tourists' money, especially where the locals are not as materially well off as the tourists.

All in all it is what it is. Florida in the winter is a crowded state.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Well I have two thoughts. First I suppose seasonal residents (snowbirds) might just be complaining that full time residents have had their turn in the sun and are crowding them with their presence.

some full time residents view seasonal residents (snowbirds) with the same varying views that they did with snow. The hate to see it coming because its in their way of enjoying themselves. I love to play in the snow or in this case I love that my snowbird friends are back and we can play. Finally we have the full time residents who just blink and deflate and say Cst la vie.

Cst la vie
Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Do you notice that when arguments are presented that don't agree with the OP's...they go away and won't defend their opinion. Wonder why?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

I love Snowbirds! More potential friends! And they are so danged happy to be here.

I can remember my first visit to The Villages; I had the best time even though we got screwed up using the golf cart and WENT OVER THE JOHN E PARKER BRIDGE ON THE CAR SIDE! They really should have some sort of emergency crossover, LOL! We were absolutely mortified but people in golf carts kept laughing and calling out, "Don't worry, it happens all the time!" I only hope I can make a newbie or Snowbird as welcome as those folks did.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.