Solar

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Default Solar

We are thinking of installing solar panels on the roof of our home in The Villages. Does anyone have any insights to share on this topic, particularly with respect to cost/benefit?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Gold member

If you search this site you will see threads on the subject
Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Florida is NOT a solar friendly state. As mentioned above, search the site there have been a few threads on this recently. Florida does not allow third party arrangements, and loans for solar panels just significantly delay the break even for these are provided by the solar supplier. You should make out much better buying a system and using a home equity loan.
There are lots of things to consider, do the search, then ask questions if you did not find what you are looking for.
I have extensive experience on the utility and standards side of these systems, very little on the actual installation side.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Question Solar

So, if I understand you correctly, it would be best to pay in full with your own funds.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Question Solar

Does anyone have insights on whole house systems, specifically? What I have read makes me a bit dubious but I would like some specifics, if available.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrica View Post
So, if I understand you correctly, it would be best to pay in full with your own funds.
Yes, please do your own financial analysis, but by using a HE loan, you can deduct the interest from income tax, while if you finance through a vendor no such luck. Also, the HE loan rate will probably be lower the vendor rates.

If you are still looking, get at least 2 or 3 quotes, double check warranty, at least 5 years for workmanship, and 20+ years on the solar panels.

Check homeowners insurance for the panels. It would probably be a good idea to check the rating of the roofing system for the additional weight.

Hold off on your system if your roof is older as the solar panels will need to be removed when the roof is replaced.

Allow additional costs if you decide to incorporate a storage (batteries) in your system.

Make sure you are hiring a licensed PV installer, and that the equipment is rated for Florida weather, specific the wind loading.

Hope this helps
Old 07-22-2016, 09:02 PM

Solar City is now selling systems in Florida and getting a quote is easy and I felt no pressure.

Solar – Solar Energy Efficiency | SolarCity

I got a quote on a 9 KW system and found the break even point at 20 years (after the 30% federal tax credit.) So figuring a system is only viable for 20 years at best I would be locking in my electrical costs for that time frame.

I will revisit when I am a full timer.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrica View Post
We are thinking of installing solar panels on the roof of our home in The Villages. Does anyone have any insights to share on this topic, particularly with respect to cost/benefit?
Do yourself a favor and call Jack's Solar in Ocala and have him come over and look at your situation and give you a proper quote. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage

Another thought, call SECO (or Duke) and ask them what the effect will be on your electric bill. They should be able to give you estimates based on different sized systems. As I understand it SECO has NET metering, and does not pay for excess power back to the utility. Now I am not sure if this is on a monthly or yearly basis. In any case, you want to size your system to match your monthly or yearly usage or slightly smaller. By up North, in the unregulated state of PA, your could put in larger systems, and the utility would buy the excess. As far as I know, if you do that here, you will not get paid for the excess. Double check with the utility to see how they settle the account, monthly or yearly.
Hope this helps.
Also, while I know nothing about Jack's Solar, per my previous post, double check the quality of the major components being used on your project. There are some sub par components that are still being imported, as well as some components from companies that have recently gone out of business (no warranty).
Old 07-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Sage

Wow you got a contract with God for 20 years--what happens if you check out a month after you pay for the solar system--God Laughs
Old 07-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

wait until the election. Vote yes on prop 4
Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM

SECO handles solar energy by installing 2 meters, one for solar power produced and one for power consumed. The power produced is credited at the cost of wholesale power, about 70 percent of the regular rate, and power consumed is charged at 100 percent. This may make it advantageous to use a battery backup so that all solar power is used to power the house. Also, my ASI homeowners insurance does not cover hurricane damage to solar panels and if I obtain a new policy I lose my sinkhole coverage.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

SECO is a coop, and therefore, does not offer any type of rebate. You still will get the Federal tax credit. I looked into going solar, but determined the payback was over 10 years. That's a long time for a senior! Also, the contract that you would have with SECO can be changed at anytime (according to the contract wording, as I recall). No one knows what "additional" charges the power supply companies (SECO or Duke) will come up with to separate you from your "free" power. It could be increasing equipment rental, monitoring costs, hook up fees, zero reimbursement for excess power, etc. Then there are the costs of maintenance/cleaning of the solar panels and electronics, which is not zero dollars. Then, you have the issue of roof maintenance, leaks, shingle replacement, all complicated and more expensive with the solar system installed. Also, your insurance may be affected once you add solar panels.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:22 PM

VOTE NO on the November proposition. A YES vote allows only power companies to generate greenpower (ie solar).
Old 09-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
VOTE NO on the November proposition. A YES vote allows only power companies to generate greenpower (ie solar).
I saw an ad that shows one of the presidential candidates is going to put the government into the solar business, so maybe you should wait. We are supposed to pull ahead of Germany. (But Germany isn't very big compared to us) I think it all sounds too good to be true.

Tags
solar, respect, insights, cost/benefit, share

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.