Solicitors

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't mind them knocking, in their minds they are doing a good thing. I like the Big Guy Up There they are working for, so I just open the door, take their literature, thank them and do not say ONE word that could activate a discussion. Smile and close the door
The mature way of handling it.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes1301 View Post
I had a knock on my door this morning by two women solicitors. I told them I was not interested and closed the door. I immediately called Community Watch to report same. I was told that if they were religious solicitors, they are protected and cannot be prevented from bothering me in my home. I proceeded to ask that someone please check as I was uncomfortable with people wandering around my neighborhood. I was told someone had already complained and they were allowed due to that religious freedom decision. I'm not all that confident that anyone had checked, and one if the reasons I live here is not to have to deal with solicitors, religious or not. I would have liked some more cooperation from Community Watch and not to have been dismissed so quickly.
In this day and age everyone is suspect. I lived in the hood in Elizabeth N.J. for several months until an investment property that I got mixed up in finally sold. Before I moved in the house was stripped overnight of every ounce of copper piping and are your ready for this...they took the front door. A midrange door maybe $600 gone. I didn't even report it, what was the use. Anyway I rented a Guard Dog, took our work truck and slept there every night. We had door knockers at the strangest times. They were just sizing up the situation. All that was stolen while I lived there was post hole diggers, a cheap barbeque, a garden hose. Follow up with Community Watch...something doesn't sound up to snuff. VERIFY EVERYTHING and get names!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

I get the Mormon missionary kids on a fairly regular basis (not in TV). Just like Gracie I take the literature, say thank you with a smile and wish them a nice day.

There is no reason to be rude to anyone knocking at the door, if they are knocking at a reasonable hour, and that includes the solicitors. They’re just knocking on a door, not knocking it down.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Joking around, I had discussed a similar course of action with my better half. I suggested that I would strip naked, put a couple of donuts on my ding-dong and open the door with a cup of coffee in each hand and say, "Coffee? Donuts?"
My dear wife said, "Do-NUT" and walked away.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Joking around, I had discussed a similar course of action with my better half. I suggested that I would strip naked, put a couple of donuts on my ding-dong and open the door with a cup of coffee in each hand and say, "Coffee? Donuts?"

You are one sick dude - Ha Ha Ha - I love it!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Ecuadog, you continue to delight me.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,311 Times in 381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
the meat 'deals' are usually past date meat that was removed from stores.
Not true. Stores arent going to hand off meat to someone going door to door.

These meat scams have been going on for decades. Its low grade beef cut and packaged to give the impression of Prime Beef. The scammers all have some story about how they are giving you such a good deal. One bite into the "prime" steak and you will know you were taken.

Friend of mine got suckered into it years ago. He ultimatley ground all the meat up for his dogs.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

The young Mormon Elders knocking do not bother me. I offer them a bottle of water, tell them I am not interested and wish them luck.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't mind them knocking, in their minds they are doing a good thing. I like the Big Guy Up There they are working for, so I just open the door, take their literature, thank them and do not say ONE word that could activate a discussion. Smile and close the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The young Mormon Elders knocking do not bother me. I offer them a bottle of water, tell them I am not interested and wish them luck.
Well done.
Closed Thread

Tags
solicitors, told, religious, watch, community

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.