Are some people really braindead?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default Are some people really braindead?

I'm sitting on my lanai at the height of the current THUNDERSTORM and two people (walking, playing golf) are standing out next to Southern Star #4 green under an umbrella. They stand there for about 5 minutes with lightening flashing, rain pouring down and then they decide to walk underneath a tree. I called Cane Garden to see if an Ambassador would go try and talk some sense into them and one shows up a few minutes later; they wave him off. As he leaves, a vehicle on St. Charles stops to see if he can give assistance; they wave him off. After about 20 minutes total, they pick their balls up, off the green, and trudge towards the homes on the opposite side of the course. What has happened to COMMON SENSE?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

They must be nuts!

If they keep that behavior up, you won't have to worry about them for long.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The exact info is in the Sun's Sports section, but on a Thursday once a month at Colony Cottage Rec Ctr at 9am a 2 hour class is given and is encouraged for all new residents of TV who plan to play golf. It will be 5 years this August since I took it with about 50 others at the time. One item I always remembered because it seem so odd is this;

Courses do not close due to lightning, nor
will our staff ask you to leave the course.
Although we do recommend you leave
the course if you witness lightning, if you
choose to continue, please PROCEED AT
YOUR OWN RISK. Rain checks will be
distributed if applicable.

http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...dGolfGuide.pdf
Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Could become eligible for a Darwin Award.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I'm sitting on my lanai at the height of the current THUNDERSTORM and two people (walking, playing golf) are standing out next to Southern Star #4 green under an umbrella. They stand there for about 5 minutes with lightening flashing, rain pouring down and then they decide to walk underneath a tree. I called Cane Garden to see if an Ambassador would go try and talk some sense into them and one shows up a few minutes later; they wave him off. As he leaves, a vehicle on St. Charles stops to see if he can give assistance; they wave him off. After about 20 minutes total, they pick their balls up, off the green, and trudge towards the homes on the opposite side of the course. What has happened to COMMON SENSE?
I sincerely hope Cane Garden did not ask an ambassador to go out and check on them.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Eternal Member

[QUOTE=John_W;1221810]

QUOTE]

This is very similar to the experience I had last year at Rainbow Springs State Park.

I was a volunteer boat captain on the Headsprings Water Patrol in an aluminum pontoon boat. Some idiot in the Headquarters office of the State Park Service determined that in case of a summer thunder and lightning storm that the boat captains would continue their river patrols even if lightning was striking in the vicinity. They also determined that the swimming areas would remain
open and that swimmers would be responsible for themselves.

No way I was going to be on an aluminum pontoon boat in a storm and also not say anything to dummies who wanted to swim during a storm. Even though I enjoyed the nice days there, I quit over this very stupid decision by Florida State Government.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The exact info is in the Sun's Sports section, but on a Thursday once a month at Colony Cottage Rec Ctr at 9am a 2 hour class is given and is encouraged for all new residents of TV who plan to play golf. It will be 5 years this August since I took it with about 50 others at the time. One item I always remembered because it seem so odd is this;

http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...dGolfGuide.pdf
Smart golf course operators will not ask you to leave the golf course during a storm. They may sound a "clear the course" siren, and they would instruct you beforehand what the siren means. Anything more than that they are acknowledging responsibility for your safety.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

Yup.

That level of common sense is right up there with refusing to install seat belts in the golf cart, and walking thru tunnels not facing traffic and wearing black or grey clothing.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Must have been a really good bet
Old 05-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=Sandtrap328;1221826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

QUOTE]

This is very similar to the experience I had last year at Rainbow Springs State Park.

I was a volunteer boat captain on the Headsprings Water Patrol in an aluminum pontoon boat. Some idiot in the Headquarters office of the State Park Service determined that in case of a summer thunder and lightning storm that the boat captains would continue their river patrols even if lightning was striking in the vicinity. They also determined that the swimming areas would remain
open and that swimmers would be responsible for themselves.

No way I was going to be on an aluminum pontoon boat in a storm and also not say anything to dummies who wanted to swim during a storm. Even though I enjoyed the nice days there, I quit over this very stupid decision by Florida State Government.
In asking boat captains to stay out during threatening conditions, they are accepting responsibilty for your safety. You did the right thing distancing yourself from this ignorance.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Must have been a really good bet
A wise man would not worry about things he could not change
Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
You observed this from the safety of your Lanai?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Gold member
Default You missed that...

Quote:
"brain dead" is actually two words. It is not the job of the ambassadors to put themselves in harms way and he/she should not have gone out. No, the golf cart tires will not protect them from a lightening strike.

Instead of two idiots in danger(and it's their right to be stupid)you actually put another into harms way. I figure you'd fit right in with those out in the storm.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

TV is the first place where we have lived that does not have an inclement weather warning system for golfers.

Once the warning is sounded it was not voluntary whether to quit.

The lightning capital of the world!!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
TV is the first place where we have lived that does not have an inclement weather warning system for golfers.

Once the warning is sounded it was not voluntary whether to quit.

The lightning capital of the world!!!!
I read recently that Rwanda is actually the lightning capital of the world - but ... Close enough for me!
Closed Thread

Tags
minutes, people, green, sense, wave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.