Space X failure

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Default Space X failure

Just watched the launch from my back yard. Saw it pass above my neighbor's house, then a vapor trail, fire, and then nothing. Did not see debris after explosion. Sad day for SpaceX. Wish them well in finding and correcting the problem.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

I assume you were watching from The Villages---saw it on computer. Expensive shot!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I assume you were watching from The Villages---saw it on computer. Expensive shot!
Yes, viewed from Village of Sanibel. Lanai facing west, so we look slightly to the right and have a good view of launchings. Didn't think it seemed right, and when I came back in they were just reporting a "launch vehicle failure". SpaceX has September launch planned. Hopefully they can recover from this failure and move on. One report said it happened as the rocket went supersonic and was separating first stage. Possible something shook loose in the transition. Smart engineers will figure it out.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:16 AM

SpaceX and NASA to hold press conference around 12:30pm today See on NASA TV
Old 06-28-2015, 12:35 PM

Another NASA "dud" , waste of our tax money in my opinion
Old 06-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy (SSBN 633) View Post
Wasn't NASA and why are you opposed to the program. I guess your service on the Pulaski (thank you for that) would have been more dangerous if there weren't failures in the development of the submarines, but since that directly impacted you it was ok? Some people think the investment in the military is a waste of tax dollars.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy (SSBN 633) View Post
I think we can certainly use some "organic" heavy lift capability. Don't think the Russians or Chinese would help us put GPS satellites into orbit for our military use. (They were not developed initially so we could know the yardage to the green) And we should be embarrassed to have to catch a ride on a Russian space craft to get an astronaut onto the ISS.

As far as NASA waste of money, I'm glad we are letting the commercial industry do most of the work. They have a much better reason to succeed, profit. NASA didn't have to be efficient. But they did a good job technically

Just my opinion.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Gold member

I believe this rocket was taking supplies up to the space station. I hope they don't run out of food before September.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I believe this rocket was taking supplies up to the space station. I hope they don't run out of food before September.
They have enough food and other stuff plus there is both a Russian and Japanese supply ships on the way. The loss is the scientific experiments, the new docking adapter (which will cost us more seats on the Soyuz) and some water beds that are important. SpaceX and Orbital Sciences will recover, speed bumps do happen but these failures won't stop the progress.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Platinum member

LAOROSA | DESIGN-JUNKY: 26 NASA Inventions That We Take For Granted Everyday...

good article on all the things we take for granted that came out of the space program
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

The Space Program is good for us. It is a peaceful application of engineering technology and helps the nation progress. Many spin-offs as described earlier, and more. How are we to progress as a people without challenges?

Aircraft are lost in development with souls onboard and now the aircraft are workhorse for the Navy.

Tags
explosion, debris, sad, spacex, finding, correcting, problem, day, trail, back, yard, launch, watched, failure, vapor, space, house, neighbors, pass, fire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.