Speed Bumps

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Default Speed Bumps

Seems to alot of news about speed bumps for golf carts.
I think speed bumps for golf carts are a good idea but the speed bumps should be designed for golf carts and do not use speed bumps designed for cars.
Any other opinions?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran member

My opinion: Wrap yourself in bubble wrap, but not everyone else.
If you have to, first solve the larger, more dangerous problems, such as allowing left turns on green lights on Hwys 466 and 466A at major intersections (good for an accident or two each week) or the dangerous golf cart crossing on Morse Blvd in back of the Hwy 466 gate, or a pedestrian walk along Morse Blvd north of Hwy 466, just to name a couple.

On the other hand, it's a dangerous world out there, but we are all adults and have to take some risks. Just be careful and try to avoid the other person's moves.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=JMEZARIC3;1307756]Seems to alot of news about speed bumps for golf carts.
I think speed bumps for golf carts are a good idea but the speed bumps should be designed for golf carts and do not use speed bumps designed for cars.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. We think you will find, the tone here is in our opinion: Unless you can identify the problem, discuss the problem and look at the causes and the dangers, then the topic just degrades into a lot of meaningless discussion. As a cart driver and a bike rider, I see and my wife sees a lot of serious infractions. But as one person wrote in here, there is no legal control of the Cart Paths on speeding but there may be control of drinking and carting. Well folks, again, we have seen some frightening examples, no use to go over them here because this has been a common problem ignored for a long time. We are a Drinking community with a Golf Problem. No doubt I will get some flak on this, but the Happy Hour Bandits will have their way for one reason, Money, Money, spend it on booze.
bbbbbb
Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Sage

If you're talking about just putting speed bumps across otherwise uninterrupted through stretches of the MMP, it's a terrible idea...regardless of the type of speed bump.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Speed bumps can be a real safety hazard on the MMP's.

When driving my Saint Bernard around to find a public place for him to take a poop (so that I don't have to pick the pile up), I could easily lose control of my souped up golf cart going over a speed bump at 35 mph...and have my own pileup.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Whatever needs to be done to increase safety is fine by me. I do not like speed bumps at all but I'll bet they are at the places that they are because of a past event. The speed bumps presently in use are to tall and almost make your cart go over with a thud even if you just creep over it so I understand about it hurting people's back's. The "speed bumps" I have seen are dividers being used as speed bumps. If the correct ones were on place you probably would never hear another complaint about them.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Default smaller speed bumps

with the small wheels of the golf cart, the large speed bumps are over kill and hurt my old back at any speed
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 PM

I assume the OP is talking about adding the bumps at the tunnels.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:18 AM
Email Reported As Spam

First there are least two posters who mis-characterize residents behavior and habits. This s a good community and the vast majority of residents are responsible caring people. As to the need for speed bumps. Obviously there had been a reason at certain location to ensure safety reminders. I am accepting of that goal. However the large yellow speed bumps pay havoc even going slowly wth cart driver/passengers and carts. The tunnel on Beleverde going under 466 has low-lying triple speed bumps that are less severe and still good at slowing speeds
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Unfortunately, and due to the use of stop signs being considered an "option"by so many golf cart drivers, speed bumps are necessary. I certainly do not like driving over them, but they are better than nothing at the moment.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

It is evident some of these stop signs throughout the villages are broken and don't work.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
I assume the OP is talking about adding the bumps at the tunnels.
They're warranted at some tunnel locations for sure.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I don't like speed bumps, but I am just one.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
They're warranted at some tunnel locations for sure.
I agree, mostly due to the clowns that come flying out of the tunnel making a sharp turn into your side of the road and the surprised look that someone else is in a cart as well. Some just lack common sense.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I agree, mostly due to the clowns that come flying out of the tunnel making a sharp turn into your side of the road and the surprised look that someone else is in a cart as well. Some just lack common sense.

One of these clowns was behind me when I had the audacity to slow then stop at the end of a tunnel so as to look both ways before turning. A cart was passing in front of the tunnel and thanked me for waiting. The idiot in back of me cursed and said YOU DON'T HAVE A STOP SIGN, GO... well, if I hadn't stopped to look both ways I would have T boned the passing cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
bumps, speed, carts, golf, designed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.