Sprinkler Settings

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Sprinkler Settings

My landscape company reset my sprinkler settings and my water bill skyrocketed.

Does anyone know the recommended time intervals for the grassy areas and the plant areas?

I know how to reset the unit, just need the timings.

Thanks!!
Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Info here.
Water Wisdom |
Old 07-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

When you are working on your unit, make sure that only one (1) program is running. The Hunter units can have 3 programs (a, b, and c). I know of a case where a friend had all three programs running, and was watering the lawn multiple times per week. It appears the prior owner or landscapers had reprogrammed the until using an new program instead of the original, and did not turn off the old one.
Jim Baumgartner is excellent 352-504-2317, he found the above problem at the friends house. he has also worked at my house twice, the last time to look for a leak, found a bad sprinkler head and tuned the system.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Thanks!

The site is helpful (gallons/month) but I did not see the time settings for various zones.

I have checked and I have only ne program running, I just think the program has each zone on for too long.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
My landscape company reset my sprinkler settings and my water bill skyrocketed.

Does anyone know the recommended time intervals for the grassy areas and the plant areas?

I know how to reset the unit, just need the timings.

Thanks!!
The answer varies for each zone. Nozzles, rotators and rotors each dispense water at different rates. You can learn more at Irrigation Product Line | Hunter Industries
Old 07-16-2016, 08:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A lot depends on the type of sprinkler heads. The new, water conserving rotary heads recommendation is 90 minutes, at least twice a week. Regular sprinklers is 30-40, depending on the soil. Drip systems for plants, 10 minutes. Regular sprinklers for plants, 15 minutes. Older style rotaries, 40 minutes.

Sadly, with the heat and not enough rain, many are now watering three times a week, which is frowned upon by the water company. Even so, an extremely high water bill for a month or two is much cheaper than new sod.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-16-2016, 08:49 AM

Call Hunter who makes the control box. Be at the controller and they will walk you through the appropriate settings while you were there.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
Thanks!

The site is helpful (gallons/month) but I did not see the time settings for various zones.

I have checked and I have only ne program running, I just think the program has each zone on for too long.
another way to check...........

Water application measurement | UNL Water | University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Old 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM

I personally would like to install artificial turf. It would look great all the time and save a ton of money over the long run. No water bill and no mowing fees but I know that would never happen. Just me daydreaming again.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Sage

Just go to Utube, search Hunter anyone can program their own it is super simple.

DRF Hunter Pro-C Controller Series Programming Part 1 of 4 - YouTube

I use all their options with the 3 programs, the rule of thumb is 15-20 min for regular heads.

30-40 with rotatory.

best way is place flat tray like a jar lid and measure the amount of water 3/8" - 1/2" is plenty.

2x a week is hard to maintain a great lawn in summer heat 3x works

also 4-5 AM to keep evaporation to a min, also keeps many problems from developing.

Also the sprinklers installed in new homes have their pre=filters removed so the installers don't get call backs.

So what happens is the heads get clogged, they are next to impossible to clean out.

you have to buy new ones which come with prefilters

The Villages Florida

Last edited by jimbo2012; 07-19-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

If you live below 466A you probably have a Solar Sync also. When you open your sprinkler panel, swing the hunter Pro Series out (pivots from left side) if there is a Solar Sync Module behind it--then that is further adjusting your settings.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Sage

Also a seasonal adjustment, mine is at 120% till Sept
Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Bosoxfan

I've found something that works great for me.I water 7 times a week.Here's what I'm doing. Let'ssay I have a zone that normally would run 35 minutes twice a week. I run that zone 7 days a week for 10 minutes. I also make sure the whole cycle is done by 5:30 a.m. This gives the water time to reach the roots before evaporating in the summer sun. Before we started doing this last year my lawn looked burnt & dry .Now we're very pleased with the healthy green look . Seems like our lawn appreciates it's daily drink.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Gold member

If you look inside of your electrical box you should see recommended setting for all of the seasons . If you spray head gets clogged and you can't clear it ,you can by a replacement spray at Home Depot , they should be hunter but rain bird will fit also.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I've found something that works great for me.I water 7 times a week.Here's what I'm doing. Let'ssay I have a zone that normally would run 35 minutes twice a week. I run that zone 7 days a week for 10 minutes. I also make sure the whole cycle is done by 5:30 a.m. This gives the water time to reach the roots before evaporating in the summer sun. Before we started doing this last year my lawn looked burnt & dry .Now we're very pleased with the healthy green look . Seems like our lawn appreciates it's daily drink.
This would seem to be encourage shallow root development instead of the deeper development most experts advocate. Your thoughts?
Closed Thread

Tags
sprinkler, reset, settings, areas, plant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.