Stonecrest resales vs TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Gold member
Default I never wanted to live in Florida....

Stonecrest did not change my mind but The Villages did! it's as simple as that.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Amenities aside, construction quality is far superior in TV then it is at Stonecrest.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Amenities aside, construction quality is far superior in TV then it is at Stonecrest.
How did you come to that conclusion? I've been in both and never saw a real difference. They are cookie cutter houses no matter where you purchase. Both built way to quickly. The concrete slabs poured down here are not cured at all when they start to build on them. The construction standards for wind mitigation are set by the state and very strictly enforced.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
How did you come to that conclusion? I've been in both and never saw a real difference. They are cookie cutter houses no matter where you purchase. Both built way to quickly. The concrete slabs poured down here are not cured at all when they start to build on them. The construction standards for wind mitigation are set by the state and very strictly enforced.
One of the things is that the Stucco homes in Stonecrest are stuccoed OVER wood frames.

They both may be built quickly but the homes built in The Villages are built expertly. They have teams that ONLY do

House placement.
Footers and concrete.
Picking and carrying components
Rough framing
Fine framing.
Electrical.
Plumbing.
Window placements
Etc.
Etc.
There was even a team of mostly women who sealed every surface at the end, inside and outside. Along all baseboards etc.

The teams were scheduled in such a manner as to continue working each day, doing the job that they know well.

Both of the head builders of both of our homes had been with the Morses since Gary arrived from Michigan. They don't tolerate anything from their subs they don't like.

We have built a total of six homes in our lives or bought new to total ten homes. We did have ONE used home.

We have had more elaborate homes but none that were built better. They have building planned out to a science.

That didn't keep them from tearing out the tile in the kitchen on the order of the builder. (We really didn't see a flaw, but he wasn't satisfied with it.)

They know what they are doing. Buy in bulk, and have it carefully planned.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post

Attention to detail is quite evident the closer one gets to each developers houses. Obviously both meet code standards but that's where the quality begins to deviate apart. My wife and I toured Stonecrest and at each house we visited I'd be getting the elbow for pointing out defects in not so quiet a tone. I am extremely detail oriented and see what others can not. TV houses meet my criteria for quality, Stonecrest does not.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
One of the things is that the Stucco homes in Stonecrest are stuccoed OVER wood frames.

They both may be built quickly but the homes built in The Villages are built expertly. They have teams that ONLY do

House placement.
Footers and concrete.
Picking and carrying components
Rough framing
Fine framing.
Electrical.
Plumbing.
Window placements
Etc.
Etc.
There was even a team of mostly women who sealed every surface at the end, inside and outside. Along all baseboards etc.

The teams were scheduled in such a manner as to continue working each day, doing the job that they know well.

Both of the head builders of both of our homes had been with the Morses since Gary arrived from Michigan. They don't tolerate anything from their subs they don't like.

We have built a total of six homes in our lives or bought new to total ten homes. We did have ONE used home.

We have had more elaborate homes but none that were built better. They have building planned out to a science.

That didn't keep them from tearing out the tile in the kitchen on the order of the builder. (We really didn't see a flaw, but he wasn't satisfied with it.)

They know what they are doing. Buy in bulk, and have it carefully planned.
Yes some of the homes are stucco over wood. While I'm not a fan of it, built my home with block, there is nothing wrong technically with stucco over frame. Whether the home is frame or block its is still built to Hurricane standards. I based my choice as to what I saw built on the commercial side and what you see is block. The oldest house in Florida is wood. Actually the teams you mentioned are the same for any builder. TV does not have the corner on good contractors. The current builder here likes using stucco over frame but will build with block if you so choose too. I have a friend that does remodeling in the Villages and I hear the stories about what he finds. TV does do a nice job but not any better then a quality builder should. TV does stand behind what they build but has some very tight time lines required from their builders. The bottom line is as a consumer its up to you to do your do diligence and make sure the builder does the right thing. Trust but verify. Once the walls are up you can't tell what the construction is like until you take it apart. I built 12 years ago when you could customize your construction. You also needed to do an inspection at different phases of he build. Having had built several custom homes over the years it was not my first rodeo. My builder unfortunately was a casualty of the down turn. Armstrong has been building in the area for a long time. He's just about finished here. Like most builders, even TV, are putting their home on minimum set backs. They pack them in like sardines. Fortunately I built before they were trying to get 3 homes where there should be two. The Villages does a very nice job, but the additional $100K for the same style home does compute with me. I'm glad I bought here when I did. I also like this end of the Villages better. It is closer to infrastructure. Stonecrest is unique as WalMart is right next door. You will not find shopping that close to any village. I also have the other advantage as this is an actual gated community. If the front gate does not like who wants to come in they can tell them to turn around and go home. It all depends what you are looking for in a community. I have less traffic here and all the amenities I can use. House has been through a few hurricanes and still standing. Good luck where ever you land.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Gold member

i am sorry but Walmart right next door is not a feature it is a detriment
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
i am sorry but Walmart right next door is not a feature it is a detriment
Why would you not want shopping right next to you? Walmart is my pantry. Its not like Walmart can get into Stonecrest. Lowes is just a short golf cart ride away, along with Doctors and about 5 restaurants. Aldis is right next to Walmart. I'm no more then 5 minutes from grocery, hardware, restaurant, shopping (Belles), and Doctors. I put gas in the gar once per month. The only reason I use the gasoline is because I need to drive to Leesburg Airport where I fly.

Last edited by Steve9930; 04-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

The Florida Communities of Excellence Awards >> 2015 winners

Evening Flight Over Stonecrest October 5 2014 - YouTube

Last edited by Steve9930; 04-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM

Thankyou everyone for your input. I do not take advantage of all that the Villages offers. So I think I'll go to Stonecrest. Thank you all,
Bill
PS I shop at Walmart, no issues!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage

Our "Lantana" house is stucco over block, except for stucco over wood on the garage and golf cart garage gables. The stucco over wood failed when the house was eight years old and had to be torn out and redone at our expense. The builder said our failing to have the house repainted when it was five years old caused the problem.

After the repairs, we hired Steve Kling to repaint the house. Sherwin-Wms guaranteed the paint for 25 years, so one wonders what quality of paint the builder uses.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Our "Lantana" house is stucco over block, except for stucco over wood on the garage and golf cart garage gables. The stucco over wood failed when the house was eight years old and had to be torn out and redone at our expense. The builder said our failing to have the house repainted when it was five years old caused the problem.

After the repairs, we hired Steve Kling to repaint the house. Sherwin-Wms guaranteed the paint for 25 years, so one wonders what quality of paint the builder uses.
More problems seem to be coming to the surface. Is there a quality problem with the builder ? Perhaps meeting code is not good enough.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
More problems seem to be coming to the surface. Is there a quality problem with the builder ? Perhaps meeting code is not good enough.
According to Holmes on Homes meeting code is merely meeting the minimum required. To me that is like getting a D in school, just one step above an F. It is enough to get by but no more.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
According to Holmes on Homes meeting code is merely meeting the minimum required. To me that is like getting a D in school, just one step above an F. It is enough to get by but no more.
Homes age. I was built from good stuff and things are falling off of me now.

Code is good enough to pass inspection and to sell a house. Stuff happens. Many of you aren't realists.

We have always bought new homes. Building a new home or buying a new home is not a greater price like buying a new car. Then you have longer for it to age.

This is done by many Hollywood stars and famous people. They get new mates all of the time, many of them with little age on them.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Homes age. I was built from good stuff and things are falling off of me now.

Code is good enough to pass inspection and to sell a house. Stuff happens. Many of you aren't realists.

We have always bought new homes. Building a new home or buying a new home is not a greater price like buying a new car. Then you have longer for it to age.

This is done by many Hollywood stars and famous people. They get new mates all of the time, many of them with little age on them.

Yea I tried this once and my Mrs. said go ahead and you'll be living in a new house too.
Closed Thread

Tags
stonecrest, slow, resales, wrong, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.