STOP IT! You're going to get yourself and others killed or injured.

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Had any close calls while driving around TV? Do you refer to them as "poor, misguided drivers" if you have?

Not a Utopia sense I live in, I just worked too damn many wrecks in my career from people driving like idiots. As you probably know, as people get older, motor skills start diminishing, and with that, comes risks while trying to function with everyday tasks (driving a car, driving a cart, walking across a street, etc.), so I do cut SOME people slack. On the other hand, the realist in me knows that there are some real idiot drivers here.
No I never have close calls in the Villages. When I drive I always expect; the person will run the red light, they will not accelerate through the gate, they will turn in front of me, they will not negotiate the roundabout properly etc. By doing this, I never have problems. It's actually pretty simple, or you can just always drive like everything is perfect, if so, you will have problems. I see people do silly things every day, but I have always seen people do that, so this really isn't news to me, just funny.

Last edited by 57ChevyFI; 01-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ChevyFI View Post
No I never have close calls in the Villages. When I drive I always expect; the person will run the red light, they will not accelerate through the gate, they will turn in front of me, they will not negotiate the roundabout properly etc. By doing this, I never have problems. It's actually pretty simple, or you can just always drive like everything is perfect, if so, you will have problems. I see people do silly things every day, but I have always seen people do that, so this really isn't news to me, just funny.
Of course what you say is true, 57. But the phrase 'tempting fate' come to mind. Never assume you're immune to a problem...no matter how cautious.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 AM

Especially going south on Morse toward the 466 gate. Snowbirds seem to think they are supposed to cut the golf carts off and not let them merge. This was a poorly thought out merging process by the Villages, as was the entire length of the northern section of Morse road. Dangerous enough without thoughtless and careless people driving along side golf carts. TV needs to improve this situation. If not, they should be sued everytime there is a cart/car accident happens until they do.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
Especially going south on Morse toward the 466 gate. Snowbirds seem to think they are supposed to cut the golf carts off and not let them merge. This was a poorly thought out merging process by the Villages, as was the entire length of the northern section of Morse road. Dangerous enough without thoughtless and careless people driving along side golf carts. TV needs to improve this situation. If not, they should be sued everytime there is a cart/car accident happens until they do.
Let's see-----Thousands of cars and carts use that section of Morse every day, and there is an accident every once in a while. So you think any accident must be the fault of the road, not the individual driver(s), even though 99.99% of the traffic navigates it without an accident. Hmmmmm......

That being said, it is far from the best section of road in TV, but that does not constitute an excuse for an accident, the cause of which is failure to yield the right of way in 80+% of the cases.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
You do understand that road was built when TV was much smaller and there was nothing south of 466, right? The road is also owned by Sumter County, so TV has no jurisdiction to "improve" the situation.

But you're right, the merge thing is not ideal, but there is no realistic fix since the path to the tunnel is on the other side. It does require autos to be aware that carts need to merge and prepare for that to occur. And carts need to prepare as well and look for a break in the traffic to merge. As with many interactions between car and cart, both drivers need to be aware of their situation and not consumed with conversations or other distractions from their primary occupation of driving a motor vehicle. Sometimes it appears that is too much to ask.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
If I am in the right lane and there is a car in the left lane ahead of me, I always expect that car to cut in front of me because they want to exit the RAB.

If I am in the left lane and there is a car in the right lane ahead of me, I always expect that car to turn left in front of me.
What you are describing, of course, is referred to as defensive driving. If you don't drive in that manner on a motorcycle, you may meet Your Maker sooner than you planned for. I have been driving motorcycles for 46 years and always assume the driver in the car I'm WATCHING is going to try to kill me! Works for golf carts too. You can't be too careful and as the saying goes, you can be dead right but what good does it do you if you're dead?
Closed Thread

Tags
stop, cart, driving, turn, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.