STOP IT! You're going to get yourself and others killed or injured.

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 AM

I almost had a new hood ornament when a cart made a left hand turn from the cart lane in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and everything went flying. I pulled up next to the driver and said, "You don't turn left from THAT lane. You move into THIS lane and THEN you turn left." He had the decency not to reply.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by db3813 View Post
I almost had a new hood ornament when a cart made a left hand turn from the cart lane in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and everything went flying. I pulled up next to the driver and said, "You don't turn left from THAT lane. You move into THIS lane and THEN you turn left." He had the decency not to reply.
Last time I informed a cart driver of just that, he saluted me (with one finger). I doubt he caught on to the "friendliest home town" attitude just yet.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita09 View Post
I hit one recently. She was very indignate...said she had lived her for 10 yrs. and always drove that way. She was cited for failure to yield the right-of-way. I don't understand why this is sooo hard. There are signs indicating where you should be to go where you want, and arrows on the payment. Duh.
Be careful. The signs confuse the right of way. The signs indicate that the right lane can take the next two exits, while the left lane can not take the first exit. But the lane markings have a dotted line separating the two lanes at the first exit, thus giving the right of way to the left lane, even though the signs show that in the left lane you should not exit at the first exit. If you are in the right lane and hit an auto exiting this first exit from the left lane, you will be ticketed.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
and the cart drivers who cut in front of drivers before the merge so they can beat the car because they will be delayed 20 seconds on their important trip to the golf course --or the supermarket
How do the cart drivers cut in front of cars? They don't go more than 22mph. There aren't many carts than can pass a car or truck and cut in front of them.

Are you talking about the jacked up carts that can go the speed of cars? Or are you talking about carts that are already in front of the cars, and didn't slow or stop to let them pass?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Sage

The carts that don't slow or look in their rear/sideview mirrors if they have them--also @ 22mph you're in violation , max is 19.9-@ 22.2--if you're caught --BIG $$ FINE
Old 01-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
and the cart drivers who cut in front of drivers before the merge so they can beat the car because they will be delayed 20 seconds on their important trip to the golf course --or the supermarket
Or the car drivers who will not slow down when a cart tries to merge into their lane. They try to whiz past the cart to avoid being delayed 5 seconds on their important trip to the golf course --or the supermarket.

By the way, we do not own a cart and do not plan to buy one.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
If you are in the right lane and hit an auto exiting this first exit from the left lane, you will be ticketed.
If I am in the right lane and there is a car in the left lane ahead of me, I always expect that car to cut in front of me because they want to exit the RAB.

If I am in the left lane and there is a car in the right lane ahead of me, I always expect that car to turn left in front of me.

If I am anywhere in the RAB, I always expect a sandhill crane flying overhead to drop a big load right on my windshield and obstruct my vision. Unfortunately, I don't have any plan in mind to deal with that problem.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The carts that don't slow or look in their rear/sideview mirrors if they have them--also @ 22mph you're in violation , max is 19.9-@ 22.2--if you're caught --BIG $$ FINE
In a merge situation, if the cart is in front of the car, the car should expect they will be merging into the lane. They have no where else to go. All of this is playing out in front of the car, they have the best view.

Good cart drivers will signal early, so you know they know they are merging. Confused cart drivers will drive to the end of their lane, and then either stop or merge. If you try and pass at that point you have a 50-50 chance of hitting them. If you slow and assume they will merge you will be ready for either alternative.

My point on speed was it is very unlikely the cart is sneaking up behind a car and cutting it off, even if they have their cart floored into "speeding" range.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Be careful. The signs confuse the right of way. The signs indicate that the right lane can take the next two exits, while the left lane can not take the first exit. But the lane markings have a dotted line separating the two lanes at the first exit, thus giving the right of way to the left lane, even though the signs show that in the left lane you should not exit at the first exit. If you are in the right lane and hit an auto exiting this first exit from the left lane, you will be ticketed.
Therein lies a huge problem.

SOME roundabouts show a solid white line so that the right lane cannot continue past the first turnoff, but that only works where there aren't 3-4 separate accesses to the roundabouts.

Therefore, there is only a dotted white line in a lot of places, which gives drivers who don't understand the laws of roundabouts the false sense that they can cross that dotted line from the right lane...and continue around the roundabout.

Especially if they entered from a side entrance, get immediately in the right lane of the roundabout and want to continue around it to an exit beyond the first one they come across.

IMHO, there should be a solid white line (if not a solid yellow line) and eliminate the dotted white line ...so that someone in the right lane knows that they cannot pass up the first exit to continue around the roundabout.

Yes, sometimes that might force someone to go a few minutes out of their way if they are in the right lane and have to exit at the first point, when they really wanted to continue around...but I believe it would ultimately be safer.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage

Never-drive-alongside-another-vehicle-in-a-roundabout.

All conflicts eliminated.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

That certainly works when you have a choice and is what I personally try to do, but when they quickly overtake you (which happened to me recently) it's not really practical to slam on your brakes...just to avoid them being beside you.

And yes, the jerk was in the right lane and cut right across in front of me (which is probably why he sped up)...to continue around the roundabout.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

Also, look to your left and don't enter the roundabout if someone is already in it. Let them pass, then enter.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Therein lies a huge problem.

SOME roundabouts show a solid white line so that the right lane cannot continue past the first turnoff, but that only works where there aren't 3-4 separate accesses to the roundabouts.

Therefore, there is only a dotted white line in a lot of places, which gives drivers who don't understand the laws of roundabouts the false sense that they can cross that dotted line from the right lane...and continue around the roundabout.

Especially if they entered from a side entrance, get immediately in the right lane of the roundabout and want to continue around it to an exit beyond the first one they come across.

IMHO, there should be a solid white line (if not a solid yellow line) and eliminate the dotted white line ...so that someone in the right lane knows that they cannot pass up the first exit to continue around the roundabout.

Yes, sometimes that might force someone to go a few minutes out of their way if they are in the right lane and have to exit at the first point, when they really wanted to continue around...but I believe it would ultimately be safer.
The easiest way to navigate the roundabouts is to pay attention to the signs posted before them and consider it the same as a four way intersection. Use the left lane for straight through or left turn and the right lane for straight through or right turn, just as you would at a regular intersection. (Hopefully.) The lane markings within the roundabout are a source of confusion, but are required. Someone in the left/inside lane needs to cross to exit properly, so there is a dotted line. It is not there to allow changing lanes in the roundabout. It is not there to allow someone in the right lane entering to move to the inside/left lane within the roundabout.

Basically, you should determine which lane to use entering the roundabout in order to exit at your desired point. Unfortunately, there are many drivers who are certain they "know" how to navigate these using techniques from some other state or city and don't bother to learn how to drive these. A prime example is the Morse/Stillwater roundabout. 75% of the eastbound Stillwater traffic stays in the outside lane to navigate to northbound Morse.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM

And then there are the wonderful little old ladies I've met who readily admit that they are legally blind....which is why they drive golf carts instead of cars. You can't make this stuff up!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
when they quickly overtake you (which happened to me recently) it's not really practical to slam on your brakes...just to avoid them being beside you.
You would not need to "slam on your brakes". Since they are "quickly" overtaking you, they are definitely driving faster than you are, so you only need to slow down a little bit to let them overtake you and make their turn in front of you.

Of course, that world require you to actually use your brake pedal, an abhorrent act to many people.
Closed Thread

Tags
stop, cart, driving, turn, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.