Stupid is as stupid does

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2015, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default Stupid is as stupid does

Here's a new one on me, perhaps more experienced Villagers have seen this before:
Yesterday, driving north on Buena Vista at the Evans Prairie RB, a golf cart(NOT LSV, no plates) shot out of the clubhouse parking lot into the RB through a stop sign and right in front of me. Had I been going 20 mph instead of the 12 or 13 I was actually driving, I would have absolutely creamed them. 20 mph may not seem like much, but if you're in a cart hit by a 4600 pound SUV, the pure momentum will leave you seriously injured or worse. The driver then proceeded around the RB 180 to the EP Trail gates. BTW, this was not a very elderly driver, 40's, maybe 50's at most, I was close enough to get a good look.
So, for the vote of the day, was this plain ignorance, or was it an intentional "shortcut" to avoid driving up to the tunnel? For fans of "Hill Street Blues", "Let's be careful out there".
Old 11-24-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage

Maybe its time for the Villages to come out for some kind of a license plate or ID# for all carts driven in the Villages --the white rental carts have #'s--a while back a cart hit & ran from injuring a bicyclist. This way without anonymity, some of these cart drivers would drive like they really care.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Maybe its time for the Villages to come out for some kind of a license plate or ID# for all carts driven in the Villages --the white rental carts have #'s--a while back a cart hit & ran from injuring a bicyclist. This way without anonymity, some of these cart drivers would drive like they really care.
First, the golf cart driver appears to have little regard for himself nor anyone else Its called entitlement. I am entitled to selfish very selfish thinking

Secondly, I have contacted the district and Community Watch in the past and asked them why do they not issue some sort of ID for carts at the same time they issue ID card and gate passes. In this day of technology it would be easy to issue a cart ID that can be transferred to a new card and at a minimum cost?

I wonder how many other residents have thought the same thing and how many have also made inquiries to leaders in this community?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
First, the golf cart driver appears to have little regard for himself nor anyone else Its called entitlement. I am entitled to selfish very selfish thinking

Secondly, I have contacted the district and Community Watch in the past and asked them why do they not issue some sort of ID for carts at the same time they issue ID card and gate passes. In this day of technology it would be easy to issue a cart ID that can be transferred to a new card and at a minimum cost?

I wonder how many other residents have thought the same thing and how many have also made inquiries to leaders in this community?
Well....except that there are a lot of renters driving carts belonging to property owners, etc. Not everyone at the wheel owns the cart.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Well....except that there are a lot of renters driving carts belonging to property owners, etc. Not everyone at the wheel owns the cart.
Yes, but it would identify the cart and cart owner---if someone else was driving it you can be sure the owner would rat them out rather than face the consequences of an act they did not commit.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm waiting for someone to suggest a golf cart driving test requirement...
Old 11-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Here's a new one on me, perhaps more experienced Villagers have seen this before:
Yesterday, driving north on Buena Vista at the Evans Prairie RB, a golf cart(NOT LSV, no plates) shot out of the clubhouse parking lot into the RB through a stop sign and right in front of me. Had I been going 20 mph instead of the 12 or 13 I was actually driving, I would have absolutely creamed them. 20 mph may not seem like much, but if you're in a cart hit by a 4600 pound SUV, the pure momentum will leave you seriously injured or worse. The driver then proceeded around the RB 180 to the EP Trail gates. BTW, this was not a very elderly driver, 40's, maybe 50's at most, I was close enough to get a good look.
So, for the vote of the day, was this plain ignorance, or was it an intentional "shortcut" to avoid driving up to the tunnel? For fans of "Hill Street Blues", "Let's be careful out there".
Its these young'uns that cause all the problems in TV.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM

I observed the same thing at that roundabout this morning, except in the opposite direction. I was surprised to see it and my first thought as that it was a visitor or renter who was not familiar with the laws regarding golf carts. My second thought was that it was someone looking for a shortcut to get to Evans Prairie Country Club without regard for the law. Unfortunately, in either case there was not much risk that they would be caught, even though the consequences of getting caught or getting hit hardly justified the risk they took.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
I observed the same thing at that roundabout this morning, except in the opposite direction. I was surprised to see it and my first thought as that it was a visitor or renter who was not familiar with the laws regarding golf carts. My second thought was that it was someone looking for a shortcut to get to Evans Prairie Country Club without regard for the law. Unfortunately, in either case there was not much risk that they would be caught, even though the consequences of getting caught or getting hit hardly justified the risk they took.
Quite a bit off my own topic, but speaking of EP I live on a hole with a protected wetlands pond. The number of golfers who fish for a ball in there, facing a potential $1500 fine is amazing. The DEC officer could hang out on my lanai and greatly increase state revenue. Why even bother looking for a $3 golf ball? It simply increases the temptation to fetch it.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Not barely tall enough to see over the steering wheel.

I was out walking the dog last evening in Lynnhaven/Belvedere around 5:00 P.M. and saw what looked like a golf cart with only a passenger on board. I looked at it when it drove by a saw that it was driven by a kid who could barely see over the steering wheel. They stopped at a house a few doors down and out popped the passenger a 30 something female along with the driver who I would have estimated at about eight-ten years old. A young boy.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-24-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Sounds to me like a guy who lives over that way and takes that shortcut all the time. You will see many more wild and crazy a** maneuvers as you travel around The Villages. BTW Doc, welcome to your new home!!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I was out walking the dog last evening in Lynnhaven/Belvedere around 5:00 P.M. and saw what looked like a golf cart with only a passenger on board. I looked at it when it drove by a saw that it was driven by a kind who could barely see over the steering wheel. They stopped at a house a few doors down and out popped the passenger a 30 something female along with the driver who I would have estimated at about eight-ten years old. A young boy.
Like I titled the thread----"Stupid is as stupid does"
Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Quite a bit off my own topic, but speaking of EP I live on a hole with a protected wetlands pond. The number of golfers who fish for a ball in there, facing a potential $1500 fine is amazing. The DEC officer could hang out on my lanai and greatly increase state revenue. Why even bother looking for a $3 golf ball? It simply increases the temptation to fetch it.

$3 for a golf ball? Holy smokes. I bet you eat a lot of lobster too.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Sounds to me like a guy who lives over that way and takes that shortcut all the time. You will see many more wild and crazy a** maneuvers as you travel around The Villages. BTW Doc, welcome to your new home!!
Thank you, glad to join you guys. Still need to hunt down BF and collect my lobster!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
$3 for a golf ball? Holy smokes. I bet you eat a lot of lobster too.
Wanted to put a price on it that might motivate these people to risk $1500 fine to get it. A 25 cent used X-out might be abandoned by even the most frugal.
Closed Thread

Tags
driving, mph, driver, stupid, suv, pure, momentum, pound, trail, btw, gates, worse, proceeded, leave, injured, tunnel, avoid, shortcut, intentional, fans, hill, careful, street, blues, ignorance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.