Suggestion regarding surge protectors for electronics

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Default Suggestion regarding surge protectors for electronics

I will be taking up residence next weekend and would like to thank all of the posters for good information on a variety of topics.
My home has a whole house surge protector but I gather from the various discussions that they are not sufficient for computers and home theaters. I would like suggestions on purchasing the typical surge protectors from Monster, Insignia,Rocketfish, Dynex etc or to go with the type made by ATP or Cyberpower.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Sage

Unless you believe that "the best product is the most expensive product," you should check power surge protection from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10907

Monoprice also has two informative videos about power surge protection products:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Dmt9HaL8M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzfG9DYx_s
Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Gold member

Depending on what you want to protect a simple power strip may be adequate but for my high dollar stereo equipment and TV's I only use a Monster (or equivalent type) of power surge protector. It also will provide you with a more consent stream of power. The cost of these type devices start at a few hundred dollars and go up. You can get a good one for around $300-$400 if you shop around. I am protecting equipment that cost many thousands of dollars and not just an $800 TV. Nothing will help in a direct hit but in FL the power goes out a lot and when it comes back on that is when you can get a surge that can damage your equipment.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Default What "This Old House" has to say

Surge Protection | Electrical | Plumbing, HVAC & Electrical | This Old House
Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM

When SECO installed our surge protector they gave us individual surge protectors for all our electronics.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Surge protection device (SPD) on your meter by your electric utility or a SPD on your electric panel by a licensed electrician is Primary Surge Protection. It is NOT "whole house" surge protection. Secondary Surge Protection is needed for TVs, computers, microwave ovens, garage door operators and anything else with a microprocessor that you value as it can be fried with even a relatively small surge. CAUTION: Many people overlook the need to connect the coaxial TV connection and the telephone lines through a SPD.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 AM

You can check out sites like lifehacker, geeks.com or pcweenies to learn more about surge protectors and be better able to choose the one that works best for you. Price is not always the best indicator to go by
Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Surge protection device (SPD) on your meter by your electric utility or a SPD on your electric panel by a licensed electrician is Primary Surge Protection. It is NOT "whole house" surge protection. Secondary Surge Protection is needed for TVs, computers, microwave ovens, garage door operators and anything else with a microprocessor that you value as it can be fried with even a relatively small surge. CAUTION: Many people overlook the need to connect the coaxial TV connection and the telephone lines through a SPD.
Lightning I'm aware that you are a guru on all these lightning so please help me understand what you stated. We have SECO whole house protection and individual surge protecters on all equipment. Do we also need a SPD on our meter? How does one connect the coaxial TV connection and telephone lines through SPD. Sorry, I don't speak electrical and I'm a blond (or was a blond).

Last edited by duffysmom; 08-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 PM

We also have surge protection from SECO but we were given only 3 individual units. If you want more, your charged for each unit. Pricy but I think it's worth it...haven't fried another laptop since it was installed.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Lightning I'm aware that you are a guru on all these lightning so please help me understand what you stated. We have SECO whole house protection and individual surge protecters on all equipment. Do we also need a SPD on our meter? How does one connect the coaxial TV connection and telephone lines through SPD. Sorry, I don't speak electrical and I'm a blond (or was a blond).
It sounds like you have the SECO SPD at your meter. That is Primary Surge Protection. But as good as these SPD are even if a small surge gets by it you need those plug ins (point-of-use) SPD on sensitive electronics and appliances that you value. SECO gives you a starter kit but you may need to purchase additional SPDs for all of your electronics. For your TVs you need a multi-plug power strip to plug in the TV, cable or satellite receiver, and any DVD player. Then the coaxial cable that comes from the wall outlet should be connected to the "In" post on the power strip and then another short length of coaxial cable is connected to the "out" post and then into the TV. The same concept applies if your computer uses a telephone connection as that should also be routed through the power strip as well.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

One more item, make sure any 'surge protection devices' that you buy are rated based on UL1449. There are places selling surge devices that are tested and listed as EXTENSION CORDS and offer little or no protection. The certified devices will have a hologram and the UL 1449 stickers on them.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Platinum member

Has anyone considered replacing recepticals with surge protection recepticals? They are a bit pricey, but it would eliminate the need for so many smaller devices.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.