Golf Cart Crash...Surprising Outcome

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Golf Cart Crash...Surprising Outcome

I was on my way to a golf tee time early this afternoon, driving in the golf cart lane on O'Dell Circle headed towards Buena Vista. As we approached the drive into the Amelia mail station and pool, some lady raced by me on my left, slammed on her brakes and pulled a hard right turn into the Amelia entry drive, cutting me off and causing an unavoidable collision.

What the h*ll was she thinking? I know the answer to that one...she's a very important person and in a big hurry to pick up her mail. Those pesky golf carts should get out of her way.

Anyway, neither my neighbor and golf partner nor I was injured. My new E-Z-Go had a couple 'ooowies' to the fibreglass front section and left headlight, but the cart was drivable to our tee time. Her Honda Civic must have had $2,000 worth of damage though. My cart's left front tire and fibreglass front end caved in her right rear quarter panel and bent her right rear bumper.

Hooray! Golf cart beats inconsiderate driver and flimsy car. Her Allstate insurance is going to pay for both my repairs as well as hers. After she pays her deductible, she's going to find out very soon how expensive her 'hurry' was. And when she gets her premium notice next year...oh my! Maybe the 'tuition' for her lesson will slow her down. And make her a bit more considerate of others.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

WOW! Glad you and your neighbor weren't hurt!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I was on my way to a golf tee time early this afternoon, driving in the golf cart lane on O'Dell Circle headed towards Buena Vista. As we approached the drive into the Amelia mail station and pool, some lady raced by me on my left, slammed on her brakes and pulled a hard right turn into the Amelia entry drive, cutting me off and causing an unavoidable collision.

What the h*ll was she thinking? I know the answer to that one...she's a very important person and in a big hurry to pick up her mail. Those pesky golf carts should get out of her way.

Anyway, neither my neighbor and golf partner nor I was injured. My new E-Z-Go had a couple 'ooowies' to the fibreglass front section and left headlight, but the cart was drivable to our tee time. Her Honda Civic must have had $2,000 worth of damage though. My cart's left front tire and fibreglass front end caved in her right rear quarter panel and bent her right rear bumper.

Hooray! Golf cart beats inconsiderate driver and flimsy car. Her Allstate insurance is going to pay for both my repairs as well as hers. After she pays her deductible, she's going to find out very soon how expensive her 'hurry' was. And when she gets her premium notice next year...oh my! Maybe the 'tuition' for her lesson will slow her down. And make her a bit more considerate of others.
I'm glad that you're both OK. I hope that the lady in the car was remorseful and gave you a heartfelt apology for her neglect. She should be charged with dangerous driving.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Glad to hear you and your neighbor are o.k. V.K.

It could have been a very sad day indeed.

Everyone. Please drive as if everyone else is crazy.Because they ARE. I want you all to be here at the end of March.

Whew. So sorry about your cart being damaged, but grateful you aren't.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I want you all to be here at the end of March.
This speaks volumes, Gracie!!!! - we are not in a hurry - we are retired!
Originally from Maine & Virginia
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Sage

Wonderful that you had those seat belts, they saved you injury or worse. Glad you and your friend are okay!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Sage

Are you sure your neck and back aren't hurt? Morgan & Morgan, Attorney Dan Newlin, and the MDJD are going to be fighting for you all the way (to their bank).

There are some downright amazing (I think that could be the word) drivers here in The Villages.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 PM

This is a good thread to make an important point for golf cart drivers. If you believe your home owners insurance covers you in a golf car crash/injury you might be in for a an unpleasant surprise. You are only covered on a golf course or a golf cart pathway. Driving on streets or circles where we share the road with automobiles is not covered.

I met with my insurance agent and purchased golf cart insurance that covered any incident involving injury and property damage. I have the same coverage as my auto and with a $100.00 deductible on property damage, I pay $72.00 annually. If you do not have insurance, look into it so you are protected and can enjoy your well deserved retirement.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Cars are a pain in the . They also take up too much parking space! BUT they are bigger than our carts. Beware!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I remember reading in the Daily Sun about a similar outcome. It was back in the summer and a car rear ended a golf cart that was making a left turn on Morse. The car ( I think it was a Toyota) sustained considerable damage and the cart very little. Go figure.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Sage

I was in my car on Stillwater yesterday when a golf cart in the diamond lane all of a sudden did U-turn into the street to go the opposite direction! He'd been sitting there waiting (when I was a distance behind) but then decided to go when I was nearly next to him. I slammed on my brakes so you know it was close....He could have been history, never mind his cart! He didn't look "old" neither...maybe late 50's or early 60's. Go figure!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Platinum member

Glad that you and your neighbor are OK, but sorry to hear your cart is damaged. I bet she won't be getting a check from Allstate as a reward for her safe driving in six months. No visit from Dennis Haysbert!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

I am really glad she has to 'pay the piper' - warms my heart and makes me smile. I am glad you guys weren't injured. Had that happened to me I'm afraid there would have been a B____ Slapping and I'd probably be in the pokey.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Golf carts 2........cars 0!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

Glad she at least stepped up and admitted fault. I worked as a liability adjuster many years ago and I can't tell you how often they would say anything to get out of it. Then you're at the mercy of the insurance company to prove their own policyholder is lying or at fault. Back then All-State was one of the worst at accepting liability. They'd make your carrier do all the work and then make them subrogate to attempt to get reimbursed.

All that said by far and away the most important thing is I'm so glad you guys weren't hurt.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.