Switching to Direct TV for Football?

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Default Switching to Direct TV for Football?

We have never had satellite TV. We are Comcast Xfinity customers and have had no issues with them.

The issue is, my DH is a Redskins fan (I know... I know... but loyal to the end) and we just moved here and he doesn't want to have to go out each Sunday to a restaurant/bar to watch the game.

I understand that Comcast does not have a program where you can watch all of the miscellaneous football games each Sunday like NFL Sunday Ticket that Direct TV has? Is that correct? Direct TV is offering NFL Ticket free for the first year. But probably expensive after that.

He is almost convinced. Is there a down side other than the picture going out during rain and bad weather? Does anyone know if Comcast has anything similar - other than the NFL Red Zone, which just shows highlights?

I don't want him to sign up for two year contract without knowing all of the facts!

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Gold member

We just switched to direct so hubby could get the NFL package! He's a Jets fan
Old 06-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Wait a few days, usually about this time of year they will throw in NFL Sunday Ticket for free to new customers. I've been with Directv since 2008 and started in Baltimore, moved here in 2011. I've never missed a Ravens game and I'm not a fan of going to bars and watching games with 50 other drunk people.

Directv is great, we have the Premier package, which is every channel and a Geni DVR box, it records up to a 1000 hours and 5 programs at once. I have so much recorded stuff, I can't even watch it all. This week we watched "Gone Girl' and 'Whiplash', two great movies.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:58 PM

Yes, they offered the NFL Sunday Ticket free for the first year. Is that what you are talking about?

I think it is a done deal probably unless Comcast has a way for him to watch the Redskins from Florida. LOL
Old 06-25-2015, 06:01 PM

I had Comcast for the first two years after I moved here, they suck. Switched to Direct TV and have had them for almost seven years. Direct TV is great and much better than Comcast. Very seldom do I loose the signal and those times are usually less than ten minutes. When it does happen, hold onto your hat cause one hellofastorm is coming.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 PM

Directv is absolutely the best, had it for years in Ky and now here in the Villages. If you use a friend as a reference, you will both get an additional $10 off. Sign up at Sams and you get perks as well. I'll be your friend if you need one as a reference (:
We had our friends in Mission Hills sign on with Direct and they are thrilled.
Good luck in your decision making.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 PM

I have Directv here and in NY. I would rather have my teeth extracted without anesthesia than to have to use cable. (Although I do use them for Internet) Also I am a Redskin Fan and I will up you one. A NY Met fan as well lol.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the response guys! I appreciate it. This direct TV comes with internet through Century Link or we could keep Comcast internet I guess. Any feedback on Century Link or what internet you use with Direct TV?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Gold member

DirecTV has an exclusive contract with the NFL to broadcast their games. After the first "free" year it will cost you in the range of $300 per season. If you are an avid fan, in my case Green Bay, and you consider the cost of 3-4 hours in a sports bar possibly 6+ times a year against the cost of your already purchased La-Z-Boy recliner, stocked refrigerator , and the convenience of home, the cost per season should be close to a wash.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 AM

We just switched over to Direct TV from century link.We couldn`t get HD with century link so thats why we made the change.yeah baby the football package this year awesome.get to see my EAGLES play.The one draw back is the picture will go out on you during thunder storms.Its happened to us 4 times so far in a 3 week time span.But is usually only lasts for a few minutes or so,no big deal for us.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:44 AM

Have had DirecTV for 20 + years. In the Villages we loose HD in heavy rain. Just saw on this site that if you temporary switch from HD to std. definition it will come in. Have not tried it yet.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
We just switched to direct so hubby could get the NFL package! He's a Jets fan
You forgot "a long suffering" before Jets fan
Old 06-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvillager View Post
Have had DirecTV for 20 + years. In the Villages we loose HD in heavy rain. Just saw on this site that if you temporary switch from HD to std. definition it will come in. Have not tried it yet.
Will usually be on with Standard Definition. Needs to be a really big storm to cut out standard definition. Remember the "Sports Bars" use DirecTv so if it goes out in your home it goes off there also.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1953 View Post
We just switched over to Direct TV from century link.We couldn`t get HD with century link so thats why we made the change
I've had centurylink with prism and have had HD with them for the last 6 years?? and it doesn't go out due to rain...
Old 06-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage

Football season starts in September and we usually don't get heavy storms during this time. If one does get a heavy storm, Directv has duplicate channels, that one could switch to. I have rarely seen games that was missing a hugh amount air time, due to storms. Another good thing about Directv is they replay games, during the week.

I would be more concerned if my teams plays well and wins, but that's me.

BTW - Almost everyone doesn't get drunk while watching a game. The Giants club meets at Cody's with 100 members and I have never seen anyone out of control. The attraction is to share camaraderie with your fellow fans. IMHO

I have done it both ways and I enjoy being with other people, as opposed to sitting alone, in a room. I find it more exciting to interact with people. For the Super Bowl, I rather be in a room by myself so I can concentrate on the game but that's me.

There are a certain amount of games that start at 8 PM, on standard channels. I always watch those at home.

I disagree that it is a wash in terms of cost as My usual bill is $20 to $25 and only have to spent that for 8 to 10 games, plus I get a prepared meal. The rest are usually on standard channels, including the playoffs.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, comcast, sunday, nfl, ticket, year, watch, football, knowing, side, picture, contract, facts, expensive, convinced, zone, similar, shows, bad, rain, sign, weather, highlights, red, issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.